New Cat Introduction May Not Be Going So Well....?!?!?

CatLoverRig26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG I'm in need of help! My husband and I adopted Walter, 2 1/2 year old social, lovable Maine Coon Mix, in December 2016. He was an awesome cat with very little issues (besides being very food driven :p ) until my husband and I were both away on business trip for 19 days in March 2017. Walter stayed at my inlaws home and was spoiled rotten, but had to live with 2 other cats. He seemed to get along with one of the cats. The other cat doesn't like most animals or humans so we didn't expect her to get along.
After we brought Walter home, he started having issues with us leaving the house and was peeing on clothes and towels we left on the floor constantly. He would do it right in front of us with no care. We finally realized that Walter just likes to pee on soft items and now have a system to prevent that from happening. He still exhibits signs of speration anxiety when we get ready to leave. Some mornings I can't close the bathroom door to shower without a crying kitty on the other side. I now mostly leave it open as it makes him feel better that I am reachable. Other times he gets upset and throws tantrums about shoes being put on or keys being grabbed.
After a lot of thought and research, we decided to adopt another cat for Walter to have a companion. We went back to our rescue and found Ray, a 5 year old playful, relaxed male. We brought Ray home and kept him in the spare bedroom. Both cats seemed totally aware and ok with the presence of another animal. Walter would sit at the door constantly while Ray didn't really mind Walter at all. They would eat at the door together and even saw each other through a door cracked and didn't have many issues. After 3 days, we thought they were ready to meet as no one exhibited signs of extreme distress or fighting/hissing. Now 2 days later, they are starting to fight. We let Ray out almost constantly as he wants to be able to roam and lets you know it. Tonight (Night 5), they started fighting. Walter has been bullying Ray somewhat over the last couple of days but there hasn't been hissing or big blows. I'm at a lost because I think I may have introduced them too soon but then tonight they will laid within 5 inches of each other for thirty minutes while my husband and I were relaxing in our bonus room. PLEASE OFFER ANY ADVICE! I want both cats to be happy and don't know where I should go from here. For now, Ray is back in the bedroom and received a bunch of love before closing up for the night.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sure look happy together and relaxed in the photo! Let us know how it goes tomorrow, I'm really curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverRig26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They sure look happy together and relaxed in the photo! Let us know how it goes tomorrow, I'm really curious.
I wish they were like this all the time! I think that is why I am having such a hard time deciding what to do. Sometimes they will be fine, but they have both started fighting. Nothing is getting too rough, but there is biting involved and it is always at the top of the stairs. Should I just let them work it out?

I kept Ray in the bedroom today while we were at work and will try to bring him out tonight. Walter seems to be more upset because Ray is becoming more at home with us. I think a lot of it is jealousy from Walter when I am around Ray. Walter is very attached (separation anxiety and all).

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said there's no hissing. Any other sounds such as growling or spitting? Does one or both have a puffed up tail? Any fur being ripped out? Some loss of fur is fine, but a fight often leads to giant clumps being pulled. Is it always Walter who initiates or does Ray sometimes start it? How do they act afterwards? Do they avoid each other? Act fearful? Is there any way you can get a video of one of these fights and post it? A visual is often more detailed than any explanation and can help determine what's going on between the two cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverRig26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You said there's no hissing. Any other sounds such as growling or spitting? Does one or both have a puffed up tail? Any fur being ripped out? Some loss of fur is fine, but a fight often leads to giant clumps being pulled. Is it always Walter who initiates or does Ray sometimes start it? How do they act afterwards? Do they avoid each other? Act fearful? Is there any way you can get a video of one of these fights and post it? A visual is often more detailed than any explanation and can help determine what's going on between the two cats.
Hi Animal Freak Animal Freak ,

I would be more than happy to capture a video. I will see what I can get tonight as we are going to bring Ray back out.

There has been a noise that Walter makes sometimes, but it isn't a growl. I would said its almost like he is breathing heavily with his mouth open; kind of similar to when he is smelling something really good. Majority of the time, Walter is talking (meowing or trilling/chirping) to Ray.

Last night during the first real fight that we have witnessed, both cats were puffed up on their tails and backs. There wasn't any fur lost, but the biting from Ray did get a little aggressive as Walter whined once.

Walter has almost exclusively started the exchanges between the two. Ray seems to walk by Walter without a care in the world. He normally isn't really be phased by Walter and his antics. Walter has been jumping on Ray like he was trying to hump him like a dog with no claws extended. He also likes to "swat" at Ray when he passes by sometimes.

After the exchanges happen, one of them generally walks away. Normally Walter whines or cries after and goes to one of his favorite spots to lay. At this point, I think the fight last night happened because Ray is tired of the antics from Walter.

I will update with a video as soon as I can. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, I think a video will be of help. Some behaviors are hard to explain so that should make the situation even clearer.

From what you said, I don't think I'd worry too much. In fact, there's really rather little that makes it seem at all aggressive and that would be the raised fur and the possible attempts at humping. While I admit I have rather little experience with the matter since my two males grew up together, I would say they're just testing each other. You said Walter is almost always the one to initiate, but if Ray starts it at all then it's probably more of a mutual thing. It's good for Ray to stand up to Walter as well to ensure he doesn't get picked on.

You should definitely keep an eye on them. I wouldn't recommend letting them be together without supervision. Make sure there aren't any signs of fear after these fights as that's when you know it's an issue. You've gotten pretty far in such a short period of time. If it gets out of hand or Ray just seems to want to get away then you can say a firm "no" and split them up.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be a good thing that Ray let Walter know that he will not be bullied. If he acted like a scared cat you'd have a bad situation on hand. I do agree with Animal Freak though and would say that you should only let them be together with supervision, for now. I also agree that fear in either of them is really something you should look out for.

What I would do is play with both of them (separately), get them really tired, feed them both a meal (the whole hunt, catch, kill, eat cycle) before you let them interact? That way they're really tired when they see eachother and at least their bodies will be relaxed around one another. They can start to associate that feeling of being satisfied and relaxed with being together, maybe. It also, just as a whole, makes sure that neither of them has any pent up energy left in their bodies before they interact. Ensuring that no one tries to get their energy out by annoying/testing the other. Just a suggestion!

Hope you make it work! Sounds like he could benefit from having a friend :) I hope they become buddies. Rooting for them!

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience introducing cats to each other always involves them trying to figure out who the boss of the house is. I think as long as there's no yowling, puffed tails, or barred teeth they should be ok. Even a bit of play wrestling should be ok, just make sure you're keeping an eye on it to gauge how things are going.

I think Elfilou has the right idea for getting their energy out beforehand. Also, make sure they get lots of treats and praise for good interactions.

I think they'll be good friends soon! And Walter will definitely appreciate having a buddy around.