New cat introduction - help!

anna w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All

I have a 5 year old persian cat called Dexter the friendliest loving cat you could meet, hes always been fine with other animal guests. So i made a decision a while ago to get him a companion especially as when we go away we have a cat sitter who comes in but i always think he might be lonely so have been on the look out for a cat who might fit the bill as his friend. A week ago a friend of mine who works for the RSPCA told me of the sweetest cat that had just come into their care. Around 1 and a half she was found abandoned in the rubbish with a bad infection, having been nursed back to health she is the sweetest thing. When i went to see her at the rescue centre she was the happiest of cats licking my fingers and stretching out so her tummy could be rubbed, i think she is a tortie point crossed between a rag doll but not sure. I fell in love there and then and was told that although she was in a pen with another very unfriendly cat who growled and wanted to fight everything she still tried to make friends with it, so the women said that they would be really pleased she is going to a home with another cat as it seems she wanted a friend so badly. Today i brought her home.

My resident cat Dexter had a sniff of her in the carrier and was fine however i stupidly thought it would be ok and opened up the carrier, they were still ok  it was really sweeet watching him following her tentative curious steps and he kept sniffing her and meowing gently. However he then really hissed at her and growled, she ran and hid under the sofa  she tried to come out once and was almost out when he hissed again and she has hardly come out since. I have of course now put him outside and shut the door so he cant get in and the room is now her safe room which is what i should have done in the beginning (as all advise i read on the internet says to do - STUPID of me to think they would be ok). She did pop out for about 2mins while the door has been shut but as she walks her little legs are shaking with fear and shes now back under the sofa.

I feel so guilty for both cats as i love Dexter so much and dont want him to feel upset there is another cat taking his place and for her as she was so happy and loving in the shelter and is now frightened and non trusting i am now worried whether i have done the right thing, could anyone who has been through this before give me some advise.

Have i totally blown it introducing them so soon - stupid of me to have pushed it but it seemed a positive meeting at first, how long does it usually take for them to start accepting each other

Any advise would be welcome - sorry for the ramble!!

Anna

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Anna, welcome to TCS!

This sounds like a setback, but something you can fix.

I would keep them separated for a few days - until they both calm down and the new kitty starts to seem more comfortable in her space.

There are some great suggestions for introducing cats here:http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

One thing you can also try when you introduce them is to put a dab of vanilla on eat cat, so the seem to have the same scent. Take things slowly and re-introducing them in  bit should repair any rough patches.

We have quite a few members here with multiple cats,so I'm sure some others will be along soon with more advice. Good Luck!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't be too hard on yourself.  That really doesn't sound too horrible as far as reactions go.  (No contact, just some noise.)  Backing up and taking it slower would be the way to go.  But, even when you do that, there may be some hissing and growling when they meet again.  That's pretty normal.  Good luck.  I bet with a slow introduction they will become friends.  (The three cats in my avatar all hissed and growled at each other at first and you can see they are quite friendly now.)