New cat in the household being a "threat" to 2 older cats

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my name is Krystal and I am sure my story will be very similar to what everyone has heard before. We have 2 calico cats who get along fine, Missy is 13 and Callie is 9. Recently a third calico cat showed up and because it was just prior to the worst of the winter weather (unusual for February but the big storms were late for us this year), I could not bear to see this little cat starve and freeze to death. The vet said she surely would have, had I not rescued her. I know that we at my house do not need 3 cats. My mother is 91 with Alzheimer's and severe osteoarthritis and Parkinson's. I have enough trouble just caring for her needs without adding a third cat to the mix. The young one is 7 months old. I wish she had been a tiny kitten since most small kittens have not had time to develop bad habits and behavior issues. This one has them. As soon as she got a sight of her older housemates, she was immediately defensive, stiffening up and making that high pitched repetitive "alarm" sound that I've never heard a cat make before. I was holding onto her and trying to "show her" to Missy, the eldest cat, who just sat there looking surprised but not really frightened. The young cat was trying to go for her, "lemme at her, I'll kill her!" I had to quickly shove her into the pet cage I had borrowed from our vet office. After that there was some howling and spitting at the 2 older cats through the bars of the cage. I was not overly worried, thinking one day soon i would let the 3 cats mingle in the garage (cat headquarters) and after some initial bad attitudes they'd get gradually acquainted.

One day a couple weeks ago the young cat was walking around loose while I was doing some outside work. My brother came in for a visit, my mother came to the door and let Missy into the garage. The young cat immediately began screaming and attacked her. She chased the older cat behind a freezer and the battle was on, I was screaming at them to stop but they ignored me. I thought the young cat would kill Missy, she had her pinned back there. Her tail was exposed and I was able to get hold of it and pull her out, then put her back into the cage. Most people would gasp in horror at handling a fighting cat by the tail, but this young cat has been EXCELLENT with me, easily handled, quiet as can be on trips to the vet (after being cage trained I think that's why she doesn't really mind being conveyed in a pet carrier). Poor Missy was upset but not injured, she went into hiding but I was soon able to coax her out and put her back into the house. The two older ones are fast becoming "house cats" who are timid about venturing outdoors, whereas they were formerly fond of roaming outdoors (We use radio fence collars on our cats, with tiny receiver boxes, which has certainly saved lives). Unfortunately the young cat seems to be a "bully" who may have been abused or in other fights in the past. She seems to view the 2 old cats as intruders on HER turf!

For a while Missy, the one who was attacked, was afraid to go into the garage where her litter pan is, I had to force her to go out. One night she pooped in the house, something she's NEVER done before. It was probably the same night after she was attacked. She has not done this again. I have kept the old cats' litter pan separate from the young cat so that her smell is not on it, and it did seem to help the older cats feel more at ease about using it again. The young cat has a new, larger, very comfy pet cage with her own bed and her own litter box. She has to stay in that whenever the old cats are walking around in the garage, or when I am away from home and my mother could forget who is supposed to be where. I am trying to make certain that the old cats do not come in contact with the youngster again. It would just break Missy's heart to be attacked again, or she could get badly injured. Callie (the 9 year old) was never even threatened to my knowledge. They have all been sleeping in the garage with the young cat fastened in her cage.

Suddenly, this morning, Callie was acting frightened and went into hiding under some garage cabinets. It took coaxing to get her to come into the house with us. She relaxed when indoors, but I wondered how long she would "hold it" before nature would force her to go to the litter box (which again, I had set up ONLY when the youngest cat was confined and not able to get to it). I put Callie out into the garage a couple times during the day, but evidently she did not use her box. There was feces in there, but I'm sure it belonged to Missy. Tonight my mother alerted me that Callie was fidgety, running around and restless, and my mom wondered whether she had pooed in the house. I walked in and could smell the evidence. It didn't take me long to find the turds in the livingroom, also some pee stain. I had to clean all of this up while my mother harped on getting rid of the youngest one, a lecture I've heard before many times. But our humane society is always full up, no vacancies, and I'm not crazy about the idea of the dog warden coming and hauling this cat away to God knows what fate. If she has behavioral problems she will have lots of trouble getting adopted and staying in a good home, the people would probably just bring her back. Maybe Callie will calm down again, as her older sister seems to have done, to the point where she will at least use the litter box. But now, the house really smells of cat poop and pee and I fear Callie will do the same thing over again. I don't understand what happened to frighten her so much. The young cat could not possibly have done anything when confined in her pet cage.

I have been using a Feliway diffuser for over a month, but with all of these troubles, it seems my money was wasted. I considered putting the young cat on Prozac but it looks like she isn't the only one who needs it!!  I got a Rx for that, but it was more money wasted, the pills were the kind humans would use, and I can't shove a pill down a cat's throat. I ground the tiny dose up to a fine powder with a pill crusher and mixed it with salmon, but the young kitty only licked at it but would not eat it. I read that Prozac can have a bitter taste. I'd like to find some that would be applied on the skin of the ear, but I'm getting really sick of spending money in vain. If I have to get rid of this cat, hundreds of dollars will be down the drain, since she has been spayed and has had all her vaccinations. I don't even know that I will be living in this house forever, since I will one day be alone without enough money to keep the place up and might have to move to a retirement center...where they might not even allow 1 pet, let alone 3.

So, a lot to think about and some complex problems here. I have to be a lion tamer and referee to keep things in balance, and I don't dare forget something and have a disaster on our hands. I believe this young cat could take down either of the older ones, go for the throat and kill either of them. And yet she is so sweet with me it is just unreal!

Any advice or suggestions, anyone? I am really worried!

Thanks

Krystal

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately your problem is that you did not introduce your cats properly.  Cats are territorial and unlike dogs they just cannot be all thrown together.  They each have unique personalities and it takes cats a long time to adjust to other new cats.  The new cat should have been in a room by itself for a while.  First off to adjust to your home and secondly so they resident cats could get used to her smell.

So let's back up a bit.  I assume, the new one has been vetted and received vaccines and a clean bill of health?  Also did she get spayed?  If not that should be on the agenda as she would be coming into heat which can cause major behavior issues.

Secondly, reintroductions sound like a must.  I will tell you that they will be a pain.  The new kitty will need to be in a room without any other cats.  You can swap out the cats, but their needs to be separation between the resident cats and the newer cat.  I will post some links and a video.  Yet these are presented for just bringing a new cat into the home.  They already know each others smell, so you could skip a head a bit.  Feeding them on either side of a closed door or with a sight blocker would be a good place to start.  You should not move forward to the next step until the cats are calm, with no hissing, growling, posturing or ears or tails twitching.  This is going to take awhile.  You need to be persistant as well as calm yourself.  THe cats definitely pick up on your stress. 

When I brought a stray/feral into my home almost 2 years ago it was very very difficult.  Intros between my resident cat and my resident dog and the new cat took one solid year for their to be peace.  It takes a lot of work. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes unfortunately, you are correct, I know! Whenever we had new kittens in the household, there would indeed be a few rough days when the older cats would howl and growl and hiss and spit, maybe swat at the newbie. We had a senior cat who refused to "get along" with a young guy for many years, till finally near the close of the old cat's life, I saw him eating side by side with the younger guy for the very first time!... and after that Old Guy would let Young Dude sit with him for company. Most of the time the newbie would fit right in and be accepted in a few days. One of our BIG probs is that we live in a small house, big garage, no extra empty rooms anywhere that the new cat could be alone and safe while the older cats got used to her scent. I assumed having the young one confined in her cage when the old cats were present would solve the scent problem. I'm sure they're accustomed to that by this time. But getting them all together in harmony seems a wild impossible dream now. Especially since the young one is so defensive and aggressive.

My first email here was a tome, LOL...but in that, I said the young kitty has been spayed and vacc'd. The vet told me she was already pretty healthy (no worms or fleas! save for a little flea residue) except, of course, malnutrition.

OK, since we don't have a separate room, I wonder if a big piece of board would do for a sight blocker. I already wondered about that, at least blocking off an area where they would eat across from each other. The old cats have not been eating in the garage anymore. I will tell you that Callie the middle cat always "deferred" to her older sister Missy, by refusing to eat from Missy's garage food bowls. In the beginning I could tell that Callie was not eating during the night b/c in the morning when she'd pop into the kitchen she'd be very hungry. And now, it seems clear that Missy has stopped eating during the night, since the young cat (Fluffy by name) has eaten from her garage dish which makes Missy afraid of it. She's very hungry in the mornings too. Maybe a new garage-dish is in order. I could look one up at Walmart, and keep it away from Fluffy the way I've tried to keep the old cats' litter box away from her use.

And yeah, absolutely, LOL, I know cats will instantly sense their owner's stress, our old cats have radar! We have to "spell" out any words that we don't wish for them to hear and understand, such as the most dreaded word of all, "V-E-T".... Even if I change my clothing to certain pants or jackets I wear if we need to make a vet run, as soon as Callie and Missy see that, they will run and hide under furniture and be almost impossible to get hold of. Or, even if I have not changed clothing yet, or heck even if I'm just going to the store or whatever, the moment that I pick up my pace the cats think it's something "bad" going on and they hide. I think they are mind readers!

About tail twitching, occasionally Fluffy has done that, and in fact before I ever got her to the vet for spaying, etc. and was not certain whether she was male or female (and I know if she'd been a male calico, she'd be a mighty rare one indeed), I saw her stand near a wooden bench leg where our cats have left years of heavy scratching damage (but oh well, it's only an old workbench) and turn her behind toward it while twitching her upraised tail. Once or twice even recently I've seen her do that. I thought the Feliway would stop all stress behavior but apparently in our case it has not.

Thank you sincerely for the links! I'm sure that I am in for a ton of work in trying to get these 3 acclimated to each other. I love Fluffy to bits (and as far as she's concerned, I am the center of her universe), I honestly care about her welfare and it would grieve me to see her be hauled away to who knows what fate.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A piece of sturdy cardboard would work really well.  Start with the food a foot or so away on each side.  If there is hesitation or growling or hissing, move the food back more.  If all is quiet, after a day or two move it closer so they are eating right up against the cardboard.  Next you can raise the cardboard about an inch.  You may need to move the bowls back a bit.  If there is hissing or growling, put the cardboard back down.  They are not ready. 

You also can use a large dog crate.  The resident cats can go inside and then cover the cage on 3 sides with  a towel or sheet.  Allow the new kitty to walk around and smell.  You can then switch.  This should last just a minute or two at first, gradually building up the time.  You can try this a few times each day.  Reward all cats for good behavior.  Have yummy treats on hand.

Also play with all of the cats individually.  They each need separate time.  Playing builds confidence and improves behavior.  After a play session reward with a yummy treat.

Have you tried any Spirits Essences?  Jackson Galaxay makes awesome flower essences.  They even help you to pick the correct remedies.

I have had great luck with Composure liquid calming supplements.  It helped the aggressive cat to calm himself and gave more confidence to the cat that was terrified.

Another thought is to be sure you have enough vertical space.  This way the cats can safely get away from each other.  Jackson Galaxy has a book and info on his website called Catification.  You make a cat super highway. 

Just try your best to keep the new comer separated.  Give her special time.  Yet allow her time out and about too.  Your other cats need to know that she is here to stay.  Try your best to rotate all the cats.  It will be a hassle and a pain, but the rewards will be with it.

Just remember slow and steady is your friend.  Everyone rushes the process and then you have to start over again.  There will be bumps along the way.  The best way to handle them is with a short time out.  Do not yell, spray water, hit or swat.  Just place the cat in a room alone for awhile so everyone can calm down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, great advice, as soon as I have some free time I will start the experiments ! The young kitty already has her own comfy cage. It's a large one meant for a big dog, but the one I borrowed from the vet was a little on the cramped order, it needed returning anyway. In the new one, Fluffy can get up and walk around without stumbling into her food or the litter pan. She has to stay in there for extended periods as I have to work and also my elderly mother needs frequent medical trips. So at least now I know Fluffy is comfortable when she has to be caged. ASAP I will try putting the older cats inside her cage, maybe 1 at a time, and covering the sides.

Each of the kittehs get individual play time and lots of attention, I don't want anyone to feel jealous or neglected (as we hear that some pets do when there's a new human baby in the house). But since Fluffy has to be restricted to the garage OR the outdoors (remember she does have a radio collar, so no worries), I sometimes worry a bit that she isn't getting the amount of loving that she needs. She worships me and so I feel bad when I have to rush off someplace.

Also THANK YOU SINCERELY for suggesting calming remedies OTHER than Prozac. I think I mentioned that I tried the "human" prozac on a yummy snack, but the kitty seemed to find that it had a bitter taste. The vet should have provided samples in case the effort to medicate her did not work, and it did not. You'd think a good vet would have thought of that. I wasn't quick enough on the draw to remember that there's a big difference between dosing a human and dosing a pet. I don't have a good gut feeling about putting Fluffy on prozac anyway. I love her as she is, so sweet with me and so playful.  My only worry is getting her and the other cats to start socializing. By this time all 3 of them need a little help with calming down, but I don't want a house full of drugged kitties. The older cats are A-OK in the house away from Fluffy, it's when they're in the garage with her that they act so nervous. As mentioned, Feliway did NOTHING to help the situation.

I'm surprised at the warning not to yell or spray water. I would never dream of hitting or swatting them. But more than once I have read that it's OK to yell or spray water if there is a fight going on. I don't have a handy garden hose inside the garage anyway, LOL. I just want to prevent any sort of fighting, ever, from now on, because Fluffy has some more growing to do and could become a large cat.

BTW, the garage has tons of vertical space, it's a big room about 25 x 25 feet or even more, and the ceiling is maybe 10 ft high. Sometimes I wonder whether the room was too big for the Feliway diffuser to have the proper effect.