new cat in house not settling

knittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live with my nephew and his girlfriend. They recently brought her parents cat home, as it was not getting along with the other animals and they had shut her up in a room. problem is we already had a cat at home. Nether one is mine so I cant really tell them she's be better off with no other animals. 

She is hissing at everyone and the cat. Bucky is the cat at home already, he is a fixed male. He is really interested in the new cat, I call her princess. But he keeps his distance. She meows mournfully a lot and wants attention, but she can only take a few seconds of petting before she hisses. She will let herself be picked up on occasion but it dont last long. She has a room, but we keep the door open. Each cat has their own dishes and litter boxes. She is venturing into the kitchen and the extra living room outside her door for short periods. What else can we try to get her accustomed to the new home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

knittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They exposed the cats to each other for breif times together, then let the door open so she could come and go as she liked.

knittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she is spayed. She is venturing into the kitchen now.

knittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. The new female cat is spayed for sure. She is deaf also I learned. That may explain a lot. I have told the family, she may need to be in a single cat/pet home with no kids. Bucky, the male cat was given to my nephew because he couldn't handle the kids and noise at his old home. The female cat is becoming a dominant cat and has attacked Bucky several times. We are watching the cats closely now and seperating them when neccesary. The female cat has adventured all around the house now and uses the litter box that bucky does and eats his food and water even though she has her own. When Bucky gets stressed he hides, today he is out, which is good, because my nephew is out of his room, and his girlfriend. He seems calm today and not stressed. The female cat still hisses at the drop of a hat but is letting herself be petted and held.