New cat hates us, won't stop hissing and growling. so frustrated...

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we got a new cat the night before last. she is 6 months old and her owner told me that she is normally very friendly, playful, and cuddly. i'm getting the complete opposite impression. she spent the first day hiding behind either the fridge or the couch. then she has spent almost all of yesterday and today hiding behind the entertainment center. for a while she would come out to walk around if we sat very still, but she hasn't done it in a while. she will come out to eat and drink but any time we look at her or come near her she just hisses and growls. she has come up to me once or twice acting like she wants to get pet, and i will stay still trying not to spook her. then she will rub her head against me like she wants to be pet and then randomly start hissing at me again. i do have another cat that i've let around her a couple times. she wants to get to know the new kitty but new kitty is PISSED and not warming up to any of us at all. i have no idea what to do. i don't want to have to tell the lady who gave her to me that she isn't working out but i dont know how long her absolutely hating it here is going to last. she won't let us get to know her or touch her or anything. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, you introduced the kitten and cat to each other too soon. Cats are extremely territorial (that's what them rubbing against everything is all about, they're marking their territory with their own scent to claim it), and the new cat is behind enemy lines so to speak. It would be best for you to find a room with a door that you can keep the kitten in for a few days to let her get accustomed to the new smells of your home, and so your resident cat can get used to having a new cat in the house. Having a smaller starting territory is best because it won't overwhelm the kitten, and after a couple days the kitten's scent will be the only one in the room so she will feel like that is her room. Once she acts friendly in her room, you can let her wander about supervised until you feel she has adjusted fully to the entire house.

I think once the kitten gets adjusted she will fit in just fine, because you mention that she does leave her cover to eat. That's a good sign, as some cats are so scared that they won't even leave cover to do that.

One other thing: it has only been two days, so I would be more surprised if your kitten was already feeling at home. It happens, but it's rare. Cats generally take a week or more to get fully adjusted to a new home. Two days is nothing to be concerned about. Some members on this site have had to wait almost a month for their new cat to come out from hiding.

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give it more time before you make any decisions. Every single thing in her life changed in the last 24 hours. Her home, her owners, having a new cat around, etc. That is a lot to get used to in just one day. If given more time she may show you that friendly, snuggly cat she really is. Good luck with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my boyfriend went to sleep in the bedroom with my other cat, and i'm just sitting here quietly and she is starting to walk around some. she just came out to eat and drink and she sniffed around the litter pan but didnt use it. right now she is walking around my living room with a very cautious posture and alert ears. the tip of her tail is twitching back and forth but she isn't growling or hissing at me. i think she knows other kitty is in the bedroom because she is staring at the door. i'm guessing this is a good sign. i'm not going to bother trying to get her to come over to me. i'll just let her do her thing. i think she needs to go potty. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay 
 that's wonderful that she's getting comfortable enough to go exploring to get a feel for her new surroundings.

She'll be pretty hissy and flighty at first, but she'll get there once she's comfortable.

As a point of reference, it took a full 16 days for my newest kitty to be allowed to roam the house freely without supervision/our presence with the older cats. Until then, he had his own room and supervised introductions and eventually play times.

Good luck, keep us updated on her progress - with pics 

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

this is her yesterday, one of the very few times she came out. she's back behind the tv again now. we decided to let her have the living room to herself tongiht while we sleep in the bedroom with my other cat and the door shut. she seems more comfortable at night because when we get up her food has been eaten and she's used the litter box. i think we need to be more patient. also, i am thinking about getting a bottle of that calming spray for cats. maybe it will help her feel less anxious. i really with this hurricane wasn't coming because if our power goes out its only going to upset her more. 

littlegrey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, since it's only been two days I'd wait a little before contacting the owner or thinking of giving her up. She's an adorable kitty and I'm sure that she will be warm and friendly as soon as she gets a little more comfortable. It's difficult for cats to move into a new environment, leave behind the owner they knew, leave behind the cats they knew, and start all over again. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, she's so cute! 

And she comes right out into the open area of the room, she's right on track l'd say.

Mine scuttled around behind the furniture against the wall for the first day.

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

this is amazing. we left her alone in the living room all night and the couple times i had to get up and go in the kitchen, she ran right up to me giving me those high pitched meows that sound more like "give me attention" than her more common, low pitched "get away from me if you want to live" howls. then just now i got this when i got back from the store. 2 full minutes of her on my lap letting me scratch her head. then the dumb hurricane force winds outside scared her and she rocket launched off my lap and back to her hiding spot. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay 

She's already being a cuddlebug!!

ln a couple of months you'll be writing for advice on how to remove a cat from your person, lol.

Congrats, she looks very happy already.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great news!  She looks like she is not scared on your lap. I would say for only three days, that is not bad. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable ! She looks a lot like my brown tabby. I'm happy she is warming up to you. I am bracing for this hurricane too in Pa. That might set her back a bit, but it sounds like she will settle in quick after the winds stop.

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

here's where we are now. she's still about 80% behind the tv all day but we're seeing more and more of her. she still hates my other cat so far. but she has let me and my boyfriend both pet her and she played with a cat toy int he middle of the room for a minute. 

haley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's soo cuutttee <3

Just give her time she's scared and doesn't know you that's why she doesn't trust you but believe me she will in time.