New cat has WAY too much energy. Help"

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really don't want to say I regret adopting my kitty Tilly but some days I do. :(

I lost my 17yr old cat Denni last year and went a few months without a cat but it was a sad existence. I adopted Tilly 3 months ago and it's been quite a ride. The rescue group I adopted her from lied....a lot. I relied on them to know their cats (she had been in foster care for 6 months) and I think they just wanted to get her adopted. Didn't matter what questions I asked..."she'd be fine with that" was their answer. I'm kinda mad about that. Next time I'll know better. I feel stupid. I wanted an older, more settled cat as that is my activity level and I am single and working, so out of the house during the day. I wanted a cuddler. I thought i was telling them all the pertinent information to make the best match. "All ok!" said the rescue group. "Can be held!" they said......NOPE!

Tilly is 7, the same age my old girl was when I got her. I've learned that age has nothing to do with it. Denni was 7 when I got her and was much more sedate. Turns out Tilly had a sibling cat and I can only guess she was either an outdoor cat or had a very large home. She has SO much energy. I wish I could give her a fully enclosed safe yard to hunt and play but I can't do that on a librarian's salary on the east coast. I have a very small apartment.

We do play.... twice a night until she tires. She runs full-tilt the length of my teeny apartment...often running into wall and furniture...a total tomboy. She has many toys of many kinds, multiples of her favorites. I've moved furniture to put in the largest, tallest cat tree I could find....near a window. I feel totally lied to by the rescue group who told me she was calm and would be fine all day by herself. She is super vocal and at times it drives me crazy. The crying is constant. She is grey, like a Russian blue, but many people tell me she behaves like a Siamese. I would never get a Siamese....I know they wouldn't be my cup of tea. :) guess I have be anyway. She waits each day outside the shower for me....crying the entire time. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!

The reality is, I want a life. I want to occasionally go out on a weekend evening or collapse on the sofa at night...after a single playtime. It's 9:30PM and she's staring me down begging for another playtime. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get a cat for her to be home all alone, all the time...I won't go out on week nights for that reason. I don't think that's fair to a pet. I look forward to our Sunday morning coffee and lap time.

Of course I have become attached. She loves a good lap and is happy to see me when I get home from work. She insists on sleeping with me and somehow I don't mind that she gets me up at 5:30am for breakfast even though I am a confirmed night owl.

Some days I do wish I took her back immediately. (She also had a multitude of health problems that the rescue group claimed not to know about...ear mites/ringworm/URI). She may age into a wonderful kitty...but I question that. Will she always be so active? What can I do to make this cat happy and content? I can't take the constant begging for attention and food? ( she eats the best I can afford, by the way, so there should be no issues there).

Many people have said, get another cat. But that assumes I can afford a second or that she'd even accept one.

I'm tearing my hair and my heart out on this one. I don't now what to do with her. I love her..she gave me ringworm and I don't even care....I just want her to be happy BUT I also need to have more of a life than sitting home with my cat.

Thanks for any advice.

Tilly's mom.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh boy.  I'm so sorry--you're doing all the right things and yet you're exhausted.  I feel for you.  

A couple of thoughts come to mind--Feliway type products--diffusers, treats, collars.  They really can work to help calm down kitties.  And how about walks--some cats will take to a leash.  Some of mine do, some won't at all but it might be worth a try--taking her for a walk after work if you don't get home too late, or on weekends or something.

Also--I have to say, three months isn't all that long for a cat to adjust to new surroundings.  I took in some cats after a friend died.  It will be a year in a couple of weeks, and I'm just now feeling like we're all settling into a rhythm.  I hear what you're saying about having a life--for a few months there, trying to get the new cats settled in, it felt like all I did was work and then rush home to take care of cats.  But it can take time, especially for older kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. At least it feels good to know I'm doing something right. I do have a feliway waiting in the wings but I don't necessarily want drug her....maybe I do! Lol.

I should add that she has attacked me twice and is big on love bites. Eek.

We are working on the love bites. They really are only when she gets over stimulated. She wants lots of head scratches in the morning and is so excited to get them and CHOMP! Lol. I've learned when to stop petting and she's learned that it's not ok and really responds to a calm "no biting" and ignoring her.

The attacks are a different story. It's like she's a different crazy cat and I have no clue what sets them off. They are scary.

Again...thanks for the suggestions. I hope she continues to settle in. I do believe there's a sweet, lovey cat in there.

Last edited:

stormysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i can relate, cant add much to what betsygee said... you seem to be puling out all the stops and i know how tiring it can get to have a high energy attention demanding kitty. 

Skyler was very similar and in some ways still hasnt outgrown some of his habits. though of course he was a kitten so it was to be expected except much like yourself i had never really taken in a young cat since it wouldnt have been fair to the kitty considering  my lifestyle. Skyler was a terror,  the blissful moments when he was asleep only lasted an hour hour and a half max, he was always all over the place noisy and loved to wrestle.. if i was cooking and happened to be wearing pjs or anything long hed climb right up my leg and into the frying pan if you didnt catch him in time. my first 2 months with him we were cooped up in an extremely tiny studio apartment..

more like a box with a bathroom. he would cry his head off i was in the loo and the door closed.. literally no privacy. i dont know if youd be comfortable with it but have you tried leaving the door open when you shower or perhaps providing here with a means to get into the bathroom when your there so she still has eyes on you like perhaps a cat door. it can be unnerving having a cat watch with morbid fascination the way you take a bath but it helped with all the crying with Skyler, after a while once he got the general idea of what i was doing he stopped bothering me and i could close the door without issues. also when he was being very vocal i found talking back seemed to mellow him out, he seemed to enjoy the fact that he was being heard and responded to  and it quited him down a great deal. he no longer nags me and i sometimes find myself nagging him instead hehe. 

other than those adjustments as betsygee said the only real thing to do is try and give it a little more time, i loved Skyler from the day i set eyes on him but it took several months before i actually started too LIKE him.. once we got into our current groove and started to understand each other better we've been best of buddies every seen. 

and dont feel to guilty about wanting to send her back, at least you considered giving her back to the shelter.. on particularly high strung days with SkySky i had considered putting him back out on the streets and moving to a new location. its a natural reaction to the stress, just hang in there you two will make it in the end im sure. *hugs*

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks. At least it feels good to know I'm doing something right. I do have a feliway waiting in the wings but I don't necessarily want drug her....maybe I do! Lol.

I should add that she has attacked me twice and is big on love bites. Eek.

We are working on the love bites. They really are only when she gets over stimulated. She wants lots of head scratches in the morning and is so excited to get them and CHOMP! Lol. I've learned when to stop petting and she's learned that it's not ok and really responds to a calm "no biting" and ignoring her.

The attacks are a different story. It's like she's a different crazy cat and I have no clue what sets them off. They are scary.

Again...thanks for the suggestions. I hope she continues to settle in. I do believe there's a sweet, lovey cat in there.
Feliway doesn't drug them in any way!  From what I understand, it releases pheromones that mimic a cat's natural pheromones that smells familiar and tells them they can be safe and secure.  I'd never even heard about it until I took in these four cats last year--so I used it to reassure them and reassure our resident cats, too.  I had those diffusers all over the place!  LOL  But it isn't like a tranquilizer or anti-depressant or anything like that.

The attacks may be a completely different set of problems and may explain part of the 'energy'--that can be redirected aggression.  Is there a cat outside she is seeing?  Or dogs or something that is upsetting her?  That window spot may be part of the problem at least until she's used to you and your home.  If she's seeing something she can't get to, then when you get home.... you're "it".  

empet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say she has many toys, but have you ever tried one of those interactive cat toys? a quick search though eBay found this: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/interactive-cat-toys. That way your cat can play on her own if she feels she still has the energy after you play together or maybe play while you're out at work.

I wish I could give you an honest review of those items, but my cat is very happy with one of those simple balls with a feather (even though he has plenty of other toys) so I never tried any of them myself. Maybe someone here could give you a good recommendation.

Hope everything will work out for both of you soon!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow. so sorry you're going through this :(

i had a similar experience when a shelter lied to me about one of my cats. she also came home with a lot of issues (health, not litter trained, not socialized) 

but at the end of the day, the way i look at it, if i had not adopted her, and kept her, someone else would have adopted her, returned her, and she might not have been readopted....and eventually put down :(

rescue groups and shelters i feel, sometimes say whatever they have to..to get the cat homed, and then its not their problem anymore (especially here in NYC)

try some calming cat treats. i hear they have longer lasting results and are not sedative.

you can purchase them online or at a pet store

if it all possible on your budget and if your apartment allows, maybe getting a second cat, one that is much younger and matches the energy levels of your current kitty might not be a bad idea, but its is a seriously decision to make.

all cats are different as you know, and some don't always get calmer as they get older, such as the case with your current kitty being as energetic as a kitten at 7 years of age. maybe in time she will calm down...or maybe the rescue group aged her wrong??? i had that issue with my cat (the issues with the shelter i mentioned above)

She might settle down after getting used to your apartment 100%.

Thanks for taking this kitty in, and i hope you guys bond and develop an amazing relationship and come to some balance.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you too.  This is not quite the kitten/cat I envisioned either.  Some days I am ready to toss her out the door, just to give her something to do.  Of course, it's the dead of winter and there are two strange animals out there.  (They wouldn't hurt her but the dog would harass her a bit.) I am keeping her indoors because I don't feel I will be living here for 15 more years where it it safe for them.

This one did not come from a shelter but we had an issue with one before. I expect they think they are are doing the righteous thing but sometimes they aren't what they are cracked up to be.  My husband insisted on a kitten and here we are.  The dog found my previous kitten under a tree and I think she may have been feral.  She hid under a wardrobe most of the time for a month but she was a much nicer cat.

Well, we are trying to scrape along too.  I know another cat is the standard prescription but we already have another cat and dog to take care of and Dandy has developed champagne tastes. Some places only allow one animal too. 

My cat wouldn't look at the ball with the feather :).  In fact she managed to lose it entirely (and forever).  She has all her springs lost at the moment too. The Kitty Cube has been surprisingly popular.  She ambushes us from it and rolls around in it and charges through it when we play with her. She has the cheap tunnel too.

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, first of all, I think you need to post a review of this shelter somewhere that will get some traffic. Lying to prospective adopters not only makes things harder for the adopter, but it ultimately increases the chances that their animals will wind up being homeless again. People need to know what they're getting into, not just for themselves, but for the sake of the animals, who all deserve forever homes. Some animals are more challenging than others. Some animals require different types of households. And adopting out an animal to the wrong kind of home, or to a person who may not be prepared for certain issues, is unfair to all involved.

Second of all, I just wanted to let you know that you're doing an amazing job making the best of the situation, and it's clear you love Tilly, even though you got kind of blindsided.

It sounds like there's two things going on here. One is energy levels, and another is insecurity.

I second the recommendation to try Feliway. Some kitties react to their stint of homelessness by becoming very demanding and nervous about separation. Also, maybe pad her sleeping spots with old clothes that smell like you. Smell is important to a lot of cats.

You may also want to try clicker training in order to stop the excessive vocalization. I know how frustrating that can be. Pearl became slightly senile at the end of her life, and would cry incessantly. Since it was a brain problem, there was little I could do to curb it, but in this case, training may help. Essentially, when they're standing and crying at you, you ignore them, until they stop for a moment. Then you click, and give them a treat. Most cats respond to this relatively quickly and learn to be quieter.

You may want to try more complex toys. The "Bengal wheel" comes immediately to mind. It's basically a giant hamster wheel that was originally designed to address the boundless energy of hybrids, but some fully domestics can be extremely high energy as well. There are other toys that are motorized that you may want to try as well. I've heard really good things about Cat's Meow.

I hope things get better for you two!

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who responded. Having a little support and knowing I'm doing a few things right really helps.

Stormysky, since it's just me in the small apartment, I actually never close the door to the bathroom. TMI! Tilly actually sits on the closed toilet and cries while I shower. Lol. Sometimes she will jump on the sink to be closer. She is beginning to cry less and just wait quietly. Every morning when I open the curtain I get a giant MEOW! She does crack me up. I actually had company this weekend and any time someone went to the bathroom, she followed them, sat by the door, and the walked then back to the living room. My little hostess.

EMpet, don't laugh but I have tried most toys.....even interactive ones. She never touches her treat ball, no interest. Bought the s-shaped plastic toy with the ball inside...she looked at me like I was nuts. Lol. "What the heck do I do with that?!" She's not interested in lasers either! She is an all feathery mouse girl. She actually does play with them on her own and has MANY. The person behind me in line one day said....awwww, one for each cat? Uh, no, 5 for one cat! :) having more saves me from running around when we play catch. She catches them in the air! I need a video of it.

Lamiatron... Never heard of calming cat treats but I will getting some very soon! Thank you! I think she is definitely 7 because I have her original adoption papers (at 6 months) from her original owner. Yes, she was surrendered at 7. :( Sadly, I think whatever bad habits she had could have been corrected and she could have stayed but I guess her owners weren't up for that. They had a baby and got rid of the cats.

Lilin...yes, I am considering a review somewhere of the shelter. I don't want to put them out of business but they aren't helping anyone if they're doing things this way. I'm mad at myself. Looking back, they were some definite signs that things were "off"....a couple other cats had issues (very skittish, blind in one eye, returned for aggression) that they seemed to think were "nothing" and they were a bit eager to send them along. Sounds like the land of misfit toys! Kinda wish I had walked away.....but, with the ringworm, Tilly might not have fared well. I know some shelters and rescues don't have the patience to deal with it.

I have thought about training. Within a week of having her I thought to myself, this cat needs to be in a Vegas show. Lol. She definitely works for treats and is smart and agile.

I am trying to train myself too. Can't let her always get her way or the crying will never end. I've had some success with saying no to constant treats. She does eventually give up.

Thanks for all the responses. Since my original post complained about poor Tilly, I'll tell you some of her good points.....
With just a little instruction, she learned easily which furniture was a no no (the new stuff) and which she could tear to shreds (the old ottoman). She has perfect litter box habits and is a clean-freak! She lets me cut her nails...even the back ones, which I have to hold her like a baby to do!! She drops a mouse on my bed some mornings to wake me and other mornings I wake up to her curled up tightly under my arm. She is just so darned pretty. Guess it's not all bad.

It just makes me sad that's she's bored. We'll get there and she'll be spoiled all the way. Lol.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's beautiful!  And sleeping in almost exactly the same position as my all gray kitty is at this very moment. 

I hope you figure out what works for her soon. 

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I"m so happy to hear there are some good moments in between the frustrating ones--you obviously love her despite the problems.  

She's beautiful!  Thanks for posting the photo.  

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful. I hope that you two soon get into a rhythm with one another. Best of luck.  

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she is absolutely gorgeous =) I'm glad you're able to see the good in her. She is still getting used her new home in time you guys will be able to have a nice little schedule going. In addition to being energetic, she seems to be very social, and not afraid of others in her territory (your apt.) which is great. 

I wanted to comment more on your experience with the rescue group, and share what happened to me:

EXPERIENCE WITH A LOCAL RESCUE GROUP:

1) when i first thought about adopting a cat, i opted to find a local, non-profit rescue group that was two neighborhoods away from me, as opposed to a shelter.  i wanted to help them out by getting a cat from them. I spoke with the two lady's in charge of the rescue group via email back and forth, and everything seemed fine. 

2) i went to meet the cat that i was supposed to adopt, they've sent be photos and info on her, however, she was not available to see when i got there...so i met another kitty. her name was Zen. I cannot explain to you, how much i fell in love with her at the very first sight. and i wanted her. they wanted me to adopt Zen, along with her sister Chance, but at that time, I was not ready for two cats. I was ready to adopt her (Zen) right then and there, however they said that they would need to do a HOME VISIT and all this other hooplah before i can adopt her.

3) one of the ladies from the rescue group came over, inspected my house. My bf was over at the time, so we both sat down and talked to her. my bf, is taking care of my 1 year old pitbull, who no longer lives with me because of where i moved, and lives with him in a Queens suburb. I never planned on bringing him back my new place as the landlord did not allow it, and my weird roommates are afraid of big dogs. He also has a poodle at home. Both of his dogs were intact. and mind you, would have NEVER come in contact with Zen, but for some reason, this really turned off the lady from the rescue group. She said she would get back to me and left. days passed and I have not heard from either one of them. 

4) finally i sent an email trying to find out whats going on, and they ask me when my bf will fix his dogs? wth does that have to do with anything? i said i'm not sure, those are  his dogs, they live in a different house, what does this have to do with me adopting zen? they said "they only support households that promote healthy pet owner ship, so when your bf gets his dogs fixed, let us know" like are you serious?? you're so concerned with two dogs, that don't even live in my house, and will never be in my house, and has nothing to do with the cat i'm adopting? Then they also mentioned that they are really looking for someone to adopt the two cats, Zen & Chance together..my heart just sank and i knew they would not let me adopt Zen. Either way they told me they would get back to me...

5) i sent them one final email wishing them luck in finding a good home for Zen and Chance, after I had not heard back from them for about another week. I was heart broken that Zen wasn't going to be my girl...but the rescue people are crazy. am i crazy for thinking that??? they have a FB page, and last i Checked ( 3 weeks ago), seems like Zen was adopted, but Chance was not, as they still had photos of her and announced that she was still up for adoption. That broke my heart even more. They BS'ed me and gave me such a hard time for no reason...but whatever. 

That was my experience with them.

At the end of the day, i'm happy things went the way they did. Other wise I never would have had Charlie, or Jet in my life (both adopted from a local shelter).

Here's another essay with me adopting Jet at the local shelter, which is similar to your experience where you feel you were lied to

1) after having Charlie for a month, I noticed he was a very lonely cat. Not only because he was alone all the time, but because he would not eat, play or use the litter, unless i was home with him. He was extremely anxious and needy when i did come home. and that worried me. He still remembered his litter mates, and he missed his sisters. So i decided to spring for a kitty closer to his age, and give him a buddy. He was 4 months old at the time, so i wanted to get a female, close to his age.

2) I went to the shelter and met Jet. She was this TINY little thing. So tiny. she wasn't even on my list of cats i wanted to see, but the shelter people insisted i meet her. She was a former stray, which further turned me off, because i wanted someone similar to Charlie (who was a surrender), but i figured, this kitty is 3.5 months old, close to Charlies age, let me meet her...whats the worst that could happen. This tiny little black ball of fuzz just looked up at me from the crate and my heart melted. I carried her, and she dug her claws into my skin, and scratched me...i knew it was kinda love at first scratch (LOL), but for a cat that's 3.5 months old, she looked and felt awfully tiny. I asked the worker at the shelter if in fact she was 3.5 months old, and they said she was. she was just "malnourished from living in the streets, so she's really tiny..but oh isn't she cute?" and she was a cutie. I asked how her temperament was, if she was litter box trained, and they said everything was a okay. I was iffy about her, i just had this weird gut feeling, but the shelter person kept egging me on to Jet...

3) cut to two days later, i bring her home, she's in her own little safe room...she will not eat. she will not use the litter box. Accidents all over the room and under my bed...and she's hiding constantly. I had no idea what was wrong with her. i kept thinking in my mind  "charlie never did this at 3.5 months of age...charlie was like this, like that, i'm doing all the same things...whats wrong with her?"

4) here's how the situation became worse before it got better. my bf thought it was a good idea the let them both in the same room and let them become friends. WRONG. Jet hated Charlie. and Charlie just wanted to play with Jet. Hissing and hiding on Jet's end. and Charlie kept bugging her. But, once i tried to separate them, they both cried for each other, it was weird, but even though Jet hated Charlie, she also felt safe with another cat there. Charlie taught her how to use the litter box. and helped her eat. I swear to God, Charlie took on the roll of big brother cat so well. its because of Charlie that Jet started to feel some what comfortable and SLEPT for a change....next to him, in his crate. and every time Charlie would use the litter box, she would stand outside and watch him. Sometimes even jump in there with him!! within 2-3 days, she was a litter box pro thanks to Charlie.

5) Jet is still having problems with eating. she's not eating at all. I posted on this site about it, i was giving her some dry kibble that they gave me from the shelter at the time, and she would not chew it. She would just lick it and them spit it out. I picked her up one day, and looked into her mouth to see what was wrong, and this cat had barely any teeth. none. she looked like she could still be a baby kitten who needs mother's milk. and her body was warm, very warm, like maybe she had a fever, and i just lost my mind. 

6) took her to the vet within one week of having her....and the vet confirmed for me what i had thought all along, that Jet was only 8-10 weeks old...and NOT 3.5 months old like i was told. the vet took one look at her and said "this cat can not be 3 months old, i dont even care if she was the runt of her litter". Here's the kicker, she had a fever, and was diagnosed with Feline Herpes. which the vet said she either contracted while she was in the streets, or at the shelter, and that she seems like she had it for a while....and....the shelter put her under the knife to spay her while she was SICK. and ONLY 8-10 WEEKS OLD. i nearly lost my mind. after the appointment i went into my car and CRIED for 30 mins. my boyfriend was beside himself...he was so livid with the shelter he wanted to take Jet back. and i told him, "are you crazy?  who do you think will adopt her now?" what i had hoped to get was a play mate for Charlie, close to his age so they both could keep each other busy. What i got was a sick kitten who was a BABY still, and needed to be fed multiple times a day with a syringe. 

7) I immediately emailed the shelter about this. I called. because this is not right. They have someone working there, that is aging these kittens incorrectly, and putting them at risk by fixing them at SUCH a young age, and also while they are sick. Had i not had any prior experience with Charlie, and Jet was my first cat, and I didn't know what to expect or look out for, I'm sure Jet would have become worse, and I feel even died (okay maybe a bit morbid, but just saying). I got one email response where they told me they will look into it, and call me back. Never heard from them since. 

now, two months later, Jet is still my shy skittish cat, but she's my angle. my princess. She does require more attention than Charlie, but she's coming into her own. she's gotten bigger, gained weight and is a healthy kitty. She's always on lysine, to help her with the feline herpes, and she gets kind of sickish from time to time, and i literally am at the vet with her on a monthly basis (which mean a lot of $$$ out of my pocket), but she's mine. I wouldn't want any other cat. I wouldn't give her away, ever.

sorry for the REALLY long reply. Just wanted to share my experience with a local rescue group and a shelter. you just have to be cautious about where you are getting your pet, because you're actually TRYING to do the RIGHT thing by adopting and not buying from a pet  store. but at the end of the day, you gotta look at what you're doing for what it is...which is giving an animal a home, saving a life...giving an animal a chance.

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lamiatron, wow, that is quite a story with poor Jet. I'm glad you were able to figure out her actual age and I'm REALLY glad that Charlie was able to "show her the ropes". I hope they continue to get closer and I hope Jet grows out of her health issues. it's tough when you fall for them so hard. I sometimes wonder if it's on purpose....they really need a caring, observant owner. Someone who will say, "Hey, this isn't right", and then do their best to make it better. It is so expensive, isn't it? UGH. Tilly has cost me very close to 1K with all the meds and vet visits.

As far as the rescue group who questioned the fixing of the dogs, many groups have their own agendas and beliefs and can choose what they like and don't like. I have an Aunt who wanted a Frenchie in the worst way and wanted to rescue. She went through multiple groups and none of them would let her adopt because she is single and the dog would be home alone during the day. She is very successful and has a beautiful home and yard and that dog would have been spoiled like you wouldn't ....she has her vet on speed dial. lol. She was so sad. Unfortunately, she will have to purchase a puppy or wait until she retires for a Frenchie.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i honestly feel like some rescue groups are a bit ridiculous.

with the one that i had to deal with, they were ultimately denying this animal a great home, just because two dogs that lived in some other house miles away from me were not fixed. i do intend on getting my dog fixed, but its quite expensive. someone had given me Jax from a litter that her dog had. I didn't have to pay for him. i was just supposed to take care of him till someone bought him i guess, but since he was the runt of the litter, and no one wanted him, he became mine (muahahaha). but then i had to move and could not take my dog with me, so my boyfriend now takes care of him. Just as well, he's got a huge house with a backyard, so Jax is much happier there and has a play mate that he LOVES to bother.

for rescue groups that are denying people left and right, what happens to these animals when no one wants to adopt them anymore because you keep denying people? what happens when you can't find a home for these animals?? so many eligible people out there waiting to provide an animal with a loving and caring home, but you want to sit there and nit pick at stuff like what the dog will do all alone all day because he will be the only pet in the house and he has high energy levels or what might happen to the cat if we adopt them out to a home of someone who's dating a person who has two unfixed dogs that doesn't even live in the same house??? it seems really stupid to me, if those are the reasons why. priority should be that the animal is getting a home, and a good home. not all this other nonsense....

I hope your aunt is able to find a puppy through maybe another rescue group or even at a shelter. I really hope she doesn't end up buying a puppy, unless she PERSONALLY knows and have met the breeder selling the dog. Most dogs and cats from the pet store come from horrible puppy/kitten mills. i'm not in support of that. i mean, whatever works for her at the end of the day .... i don't judge..i personally just would not EVER buy from a pet store.

Vet bills are ridiculous. absolutely CRAZY in the city (NYC). I go to queens to have my Jet seen. even then I've spent over 1k on her. She's really put me in a crazy cat lady bind. the kind where you have to decide between buying human food or cat food for the week (i went for the cat food). this happened to me a couple times haha. but you're right...everything happens for a reason, i always think. If she hadn't come to me, she could have gone to someone else who might have just not taken care of her and let her suffer, or given her back to the shelter 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
here are some pics. i'm gonna photo bomb you now! haha (sorry)

this is Jet, the 1st week i brought her home (Charlie next to her). how can anyone say she's 3.5 mo. old)

this is Jet today :) pic taken 2 days ago. She actually looks like a kitty and not a ball of fluff. She will be 5 months old in 2 weeks.

this is Charlie and Jet still being lazy bums. They love hiding under that table. lol

This is Charlie, elaborately stealing Jet's food. I feed him on the floor, and Jet on top of the scratching post/perch because Charlie loves to steal food. He recently figured out a way to get to her hahaha

they're the best of friends now :) and they're inseparable. Jet still has some trust issues, even with me sometimes. She's a former stray so she's very skittish and its taking her longer to get used to and accept that this is her new forever home. But she trusts Charlie 100%. i feel like Charlie is her protector. 

tillysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, so adorable. She was teeny tiny! and Jet today, is gorgeous. She is a beautiful cat.

They look so happy together. That's so great!!!!!! Makes me think that maybe another cat would do Tilly good. Boy cats seem so accepting and laid back...maybe :)

While I wouldn't wish these bills on anyone....nice to hear someone else spent close to 1K on their new, supposedly healthy kitty. Me too. Sometime I feel crazy but then I look at her. How do they do that?!

Thanks for the pics...and BTW, Charlie is pretty darn handsome. He looks so calm....except for the stretching to get the food. Lol.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, other than the health issues (none so far) and the age (I was told Abby was two, but my vet says she is no older than one) our stories are pretty similar. I sure would love an update to know if things got easier in time. I think sticking it out with Abby will be easier if I have hope that she will eventually develop another mode besides "on" or "off" - a "just relax" mode.

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can see that this post is old... But just in case:

Have you considered fostering another cat, see if that helps at all?

I started doing so for my siamese Schrody who was in constant need for attention and play. ALWAYS. When he couldn't play with me or my dog he would yowl endlessly, despite having room and a lot of toys, very much like your girl.The arrival of foster kitties made a huge change, and I ended up adopting Shunso who was a perfect match for him. He will tolerate Schrody and play with him, but also know how to tell him enough is enough, as he is much more chill. It's pretty amazing how much he has helped.

Maybe consider it for your girl!

My boys: