New cat-guy from NC

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the best cat place on the net! How wonderful that you share your life with cats. They are indeed fascinating creatures.

Thank you for your service to our country. My dad is former Airborne (way back in the day). He was stationed at Ft. Bragg with the 82nd Airborne in the mid-50s. Amazingly, when my co-worker's son graduated from jump school, he was assigned to the 82nd Airborne @ Ft. Bragg. He's been there for 2 years, I think. One of those was spent in Iraq. Small world!

Stephanie

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I am in Fayetteville too. I agree, people here hate cats, most animals actually...

A great way to keep up with posts is to go at the top of the page that you want to keep up with, and click on Thread Tools. Then click Subscribe to Thread. Then when you want to see the new posts you just click User CP and all of the threads that you are subscribed to will come up there when someone makes a new post. It took me a long time to figure that out, LOL!

Since you are a new member I think you will get a email notification every time someone posts in your Subscribed Threads, you can easily change this by going to User CP then clicking Edit Options. From there you can decide how to be notified when someone posts in your subscribed threads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mommysugar

You don't need to feel lonely anymore, however, I understand where you are coming from
Anyone who has hate in their heart for such innocent little furbabies are truly missing out anyway! Thanks for your service too
Yep! anyhow, of all the traditional house "pets" cats are definitely the most miss-understood. When someone otters something against cats I seriously doubt their intelligence.

Originally Posted by stephanietx

Welcome to the best cat place on the net! How wonderful that you share your life with cats. They are indeed fascinating creatures.

Thank you for your service to our country. My dad is former Airborne (way back in the day). He was stationed at Ft. Bragg with the 82nd Airborne in the mid-50s. Amazingly, when my co-worker's son graduated from jump school, he was assigned to the 82nd Airborne @ Ft. Bragg. He's been there for 2 years, I think. One of those was spent in Iraq. Small world!

Stephanie
Yeah, small world! My dad was assigned to the 82nd too in the early-50s, he was an Army MD. I'm not with the 82nd I was with the 101st in Ft. Campbell Kentucky and now I'm with Special Forces in Bragg. I deployed three times to Iraq.

Originally Posted by KatKisses

Welcome to TCS! I am in Fayetteville too. I agree, people here hate cats, most animals actually...

A great way to keep up with posts is to go at the top of the page that you want to keep up with, and click on Thread Tools. Then click Subscribe to Thread. Then when you want to see the new posts you just click User CP and all of the threads that you are subscribed to will come up there when someone makes a new post. It took me a long time to figure that out, LOL!

Since you are a new member I think you will get a email notification every time someone posts in your Subscribed Threads, you can easily change this by going to User CP then clicking Edit Options. From there you can decide how to be notified when someone posts in your subscribed threads.
Yep, thanks for your tip. I am having some trouble finding all the posts that were written for me and need to be answered. I just have to get used to the system. And yes! my e-mail is getting flooded with notifications. They do help out though!
I'm wandering ... what's with this Fayetteville animal antagonism? Fortunately not everyone is like that!
One of my cats has the bad habit of climbing over the cyclone fence I installed to "contain" them, and every time she does so I'm fearing the neighbours (on each side) may do something to her. I hope not! ... But I do know they don't like cats and they have no pets.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...here comes the Dutch uncle preachy rant.

If you love your cats, keep them indoors. There are a number of good reasons.

1. The average indoor cat lives 16 years. The average outdoor cat lives 6 months.

2. Indoor cats are not exposed to the parasites and diseases they can catch outdoors.

3. The domestic cat does not have a niche in the ecology and causes real problems for small mammals and birds.

4. Outdoor cats are exposed to the worst predator in the world: Cruel and uncaring people.

5. Outdoor cats are a prey animal for coyotes, who now live everywhere in the U.S.

6. Some people think hunting cats with their dogs is a good sport and good training for coon hunting.

There are a lot more reasons.

Growing up, we never had a cat reach 1 year of age, because my mother put them out every night. Since the second night my wife and I kept our first cat indoors, we have never lost a cat except to old age or a stroke.

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Well...here comes the Dutch uncle preachy rant.

If you love your cats, keep them indoors. There are a number of good reasons.

1. The average indoor cat lives 16 years. The average outdoor cat lives 6 months.

2. Indoor cats are not exposed to the parasites and diseases they can catch outdoors.

3. The domestic cat does not have a niche in the ecology and causes real problems for small mammals and birds.

4. Outdoor cats are exposed to the worst predator in the world: Cruel and uncaring people.

5. Outdoor cats are a prey animal for coyotes, who now live everywhere in the U.S.

6. Some people think hunting cats with their dogs is a good sport and good training for coon hunting.

There are a lot more reasons.

Growing up, we never had a cat reach 1 year of age, because my mother put them out every night. Since the second night my wife and I kept our first cat indoors, we have never lost a cat except to old age or a stroke.
Yes. You are right! That's what I'm trying to do! My cat's got a two level big house with a large backyard, they have no business outside! Loony will never go out, he is contained but little Luna is giving me trouble! The cyclone fence is not enough so I've added fiberglass sheets around it on top where it's reinforced with the tube structure so she won´t find anywhere to grab on to. But she's so light and so agile that she's even getting over that!
She's the most difficult cat to contain that I've ever had.
And I'll continue my efforts to stop her.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome Rod and thank you - for your service to our country and for your love of cats.

All three of my children served - one Marine and two in the Air Force. My husband and dad are/were Navy vets. My father-in-law was Army/Air Force as well.

I am always rather startled when someone expresses a hatred for cats - my emotions run the gamet from anger to pity. I have a mug with an old Irish proverb "Never trust anyone who dislikes cats." Good advice!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for your service to our country, and bless you for your love of animals. Two things I've come to learn - men who care and protect animals are real men - and very sexy - and people who mistreat animals will no doubt mistreat people.

Now I've got to go find that picture of your babies!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Secondly.... you should know Gary (DH - Dear Hubby) was an enlisted man, so I'm not telling him you're an officer.

I don't know the set-up in your back yard, but a sponsor of TCS is Purrfect Fence: http://www.purrfectfence.com/ You may want to look into it for your Luna.

Also - the lovely thing about forums is that you visit when you have time, you explore where you want, you post when you can - no one expects you to reply to every post. In ANY of the forums or threads, just feel free to jump right in!

Lots of fun things to do... usually a photo contest running in the Fur Pics forum: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29 You're welcome to both submit pics or vote on pics even if you didn't submit any...

Caption this - feel free to provide captions or vote on your favorites: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

...and if you start a thread and you're not sure where it goes - no worries. If it's in the wrong place, one of the mods will move it to the right place.

We tend to gab about anything and everything in The Cat Lounge, about our crazy, silly kitties in What's New Pussycat - and the rest are pretty self-explanatory.

And last but not least....

Welcome to TCS!

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Welcome Rod and thank you - for your service to our country and for your love of cats.

All three of my children served - one Marine and two in the Air Force. My husband and dad are/were Navy vets. My father-in-law was Army/Air Force as well.

I am always rather startled when someone expresses a hatred for cats - my emotions run the gamet from anger to pity. I have a mug with an old Irish proverb "Never trust anyone who dislikes cats." Good advice!
That Irish proverb is great! I'll remember it and use it!

Originally Posted by darlili

First, thank you for your service to our country, and bless you for your love of animals. Two things I've come to learn - men who care and protect animals are real men - and very sexy - and people who mistreat animals will no doubt mistreat people.

Now I've got to go find that picture of your babies!
Than you both for your welcome. My father and grand father were Army vets too, I'm just following the line. One of the thinks I love about this country is that here someone in the military is respected and admired many times as a role model when in many others a military person is a synonym of corruption or repression.

If we could all in this world learn to respect the right we all have to exist, Cats, humans etc. it could be such a great place to be.
All I know is that I love cats !

Originally Posted by LDG

First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Secondly.... you should know Gary (DH - Dear Hubby) was an enlisted man, so I'm not telling him you're an officer.

I don't know the set-up in your back yard, but a sponsor of TCS is Purrfect Fence: http://www.purrfectfence.com/ You may want to look into it for your Luna.

Also - the lovely thing about forums is that you visit when you have time, you explore where you want, you post when you can - no one expects you to reply to every post. In ANY of the forums or threads, just feel free to jump right in!

Lots of fun things to do... usually a photo contest running in the Fur Pics forum: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29 You're welcome to both submit pics or vote on pics even if you didn't submit any...

Caption this - feel free to provide captions or vote on your favorites: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

...and if you start a thread and you're not sure where it goes - no worries. If it's in the wrong place, one of the mods will move it to the right place.

We tend to gab about anything and everything in The Cat Lounge, about our crazy, silly kitties in What's New Pussycat - and the rest are pretty self-explanatory.

And last but not least....

Welcome to TCS!
Ok thanks for the tips, I'll get the hang of it soon. And I will start to post seriously. I hope that fence works, mine is a standard cyclone fence I installed around the perimeter for the sole purpose of containing cats!

kmomo4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Rod,

Welcome to your "new family!" There's always room for one more -- well, in your case it's three more -- and when at least one of those is a kitty, then yahoo!

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kmomo4

Hi Rod,

Welcome to your "new family!" There's always room for one more -- well, in your case it's three more -- and when at least one of those is a kitty, then yahoo!
I'm still reading instead of posting much... just let me warm up !

I'm reading and observing how and where to post what. I'm new here, I feel like I'm still in someone else's house. I wouldn't want to... "piss out of the kitty litter box" if you know what I mean!

Thanks!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nah.... wrong imagery. Not someone else's house. A big cat party where everyone has a big heart, big shoulders, and it's quite difficult to step on our toes....