New cat food has created an obsession

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 yr old Male Himalayan 10lb kitty. We were feeding him a wet food but food was discontinued so we switched to tiki cat wet food which he ate normally without issues until we noticed he kept getting constipated from it. He had been eating tiki cat for about a month or so and we decided to try a different food.

Started him on petcurean go wet food (duck and chicken turkey pate) and now he is food obsessed. He is getting one can a day and he is constantly at the bowl begging, he started climbing on the kitchen counters licking plates in the sink.

Any ideas on what could have brought this about? Or how to solve it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are you sure the petcurean is providing him with enough calories? Also, are the cans the 3 oz size?

Is he losing weight? If you have a bathroom scale you can get an approximate weight, try weighing him every week or so and keep a log so you know what's going on with him :).

If this were me (I realize it's not) I'd give him a second can, keep an eye on his weight and maybe add a little kibble as well.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd check the calories, too! Most Tiki is fairly low-calorie... if that's the case, maybe he loves the new food so much he just can't stop thinking about it? Maybe the word "obsession" in your thread title is answering your question, juicestyna juicestyna ? :lol: Food changes can really have interesting effects!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Started him on petcurean go wet food (duck and chicken turkey pate) and now he is food obsessed. He is getting one can a day and he is constantly at the bowl begging, he started climbing on the kitchen counters licking plates in the sink.

That particular food only comes in a 5.5 oz can and is 210 calories. That's on the lower end of what a 10 lb cat should get if you use the suggested 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Maybe add half a can more daily for awhile and see if that stops the hangry behavior.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 yr old Male Himalayan 10lb kitty. We were feeding him a wet food but food was discontinued so we switched to tiki cat wet food which he ate normally without issues until we noticed he kept getting constipated from it. He had been eating tiki cat for about a month or so and we decided to try a different food.

Tiki is very low in fat. So you could mix it in or alternate with something like hounds and gato. I feed my 9pd cat dr elseys and freeze dried raw stella&chewy or nw naturals mixed in for a topper. She eats what she needs then comes back 5 minutes later for more and so on til she eats half a 5.5 oz can. Her last 2 meals-trying to make it 3- she finishes the can so 117 cals plus from the freeze dried-100+ cal per oz. She gets 4 pieces a day crushed.