New cat food at Petsmart

ann1688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was browsing the cat food at Petsmart and noticed they have a new food called Simply Nourish out. I tried to look it up online and cant seem to find any information about it. It seems to be a decent food.

The first 2 ingredients were chicken products (not by products) and then oatmeal, rice flour, tomato pomace. I was just wondering how bad those last three ingredients were? I don't remember any of the other ingredients being questionable.

Thanks

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm...I'm interested to read what others have to say on this. I'm no expert on the subject though so I won't guess! How was it price wise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ann1688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how many pounds the biggest bag was but it was going for $27.99. The 6-7lb bag was $14.99.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it actual chicken, or chicken meal? I don't recommend oatmeal and rice flour because they are grains, but I mean, there are worse things that can be put in food. Was soy anywhere in the ingredients?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed the 'shelf spot' set up for it in my Country but wasn't here yet, my google seach ended in nothing though...

I admit i prefer products i can find info on lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ann1688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It turns out this food is owned/made by Petsmart.

Here are the ingredients for the Turkey and rice formula:

Turkey, Turkey meal, oatmeal, rice flour, dried chicken, tomato pomace, natural flavor, canola oil, potassium chloride, dried chicory root, flax seed, dried cranberries/carrots, sweet potatoes and then vitamins/minerals.

I feed blue wilderness but would like to add this as a grain source for my male cats. Does it look decent enough? any better suggestions?

3.5lb $9.99
7lb 14.99
14lb 27.99

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ann1688

Turkey, Turkey meal, oatmeal, rice flour, dried chicken, tomato pomace, natural flavor, canola oil, potassium chloride, dried chicory root, flax seed, dried cranberries/carrots, sweet potatoes and then vitamins/minerals.

I feed blue wilderness but would like to add this as a grain source for my male cats. Does it look decent enough? any better suggestions?
I bolded the ingredients that I find controversial/I usually try to avoid.

Male cats don't need grain any more than female cats do, who told you that they did?

Better suggestions would be Evo, Before Grain, Natural Balance, Wellness, and Weruva.

emilyanne12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chicken meal and turkey meal are not bad ingredients- it's chicken and turkey with excess water taken out of it, which increases the actual amount of the protein source in the food. Oatmeal is a really good carbohydrate which is not only good for the cat's skin and coat but also for digestion. Rice flour isn't anything to be concerned about, either. It's just another carbohydrate which is the biggest and most essential food group in a cat's diet. And I don't usually recommend grain free products unless the cat is allergic to grains because a lack of grains and high protein (grain free products almost always have much higher protein) can potentially be bad for the kidneys.

All in all, this looks like a great food. I think everyone can expect to see this food in PetSmarts near them within the next couple of months. Definitely something you should consider!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EmilyAnne12

Oatmeal is a really good carbohydrate which is not only good for the cat's skin and coat but also for digestion. Rice flour isn't anything to be concerned about, either. It's just another carbohydrate which is the biggest and most essential food group in a cat's diet. And I don't usually recommend grain free products unless the cat is allergic to grains because a lack of grains and high protein (grain free products almost always have much higher protein) can potentially be bad for the kidneys.
Completely false. The thought that protein is bad for the kidneys came from the procedure where if you have kidney issues, you have to be on a low protein diet. It doesn't work the other way around. Cats never touch anything besides meat in the wild and they simply cannot digest carbohydrates in a good way.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Completely false. The thought that protein is bad for the kidneys came from the procedure where if you have kidney issues, you have to be on a low protein diet. It doesn't work the other way around. Cats never touch anything besides meat in the wild and they simply cannot digest carbohydrates in a good way.
Please bear in mind every cat has their own special dietary needs - no two are alike. While yes their diet in the wild may be nothing but meat & raw or canned diets are ideal - that isn't purrfect for all cats. You may feel that statement was completely false, but I do not. Grain frees are higher in protein, which yes can be bad for some cats. I avoid grain-free for my kitty who has had mild kidney issues most her life.

I have some who cannot tolerate grains & some who are on a diet w/ grains to help maintain urinary tract health (UTI healthy foods).

To the OP - I think the ingredient list looks decent enough & it may be worth a shot. Price depends on what you have available & where you shop - for me I can get Premium Edge (similar quality, perhaps a bit lower quality) for less than that per lb. Then again it's not worth spending the gas to drive to another store to find a different food if you shop Petsmart already.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Please bear in mind every cat has their own special dietary needs - no two are alike. While yes their diet in the wild may be nothing but meat & raw or canned diets are ideal - that isn't purrfect for all cats. You may feel that statement was completely false, but I do not. Grain frees are higher in protein, which yes can be bad for some cats. I avoid grain-free for my kitty who has had mild kidney issues most her life.

I have some who cannot tolerate grains & some who are on a diet w/ grains to help maintain urinary tract health (UTI healthy foods).
You're right, a high protein diet may not be right for all cats, but it is right for all healthy cats.

Grains also do not promote urinary tract health, more moisture in the diet and special RX diets do.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about it yet. The Petsmart I frequent does not have it on the shelves yet. They have a spot for it but no merchandise.

pippin1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the wild cats get more than just meat. If you were to provide your cat with an all meat diet, feeding him/her chicken. duck. fish. ect it would prove to be insuffient to their health. In the wild when a cat catches and eats it pray it doesnt eat around the animals intestines, They eat those also therefore eating whatever that animal has eaten. Meat is the staple to their diet but they need much more than that to live happy healthy lives.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippin1988

In the wild cats get more than just meat. If you were to provide your cat with an all meat diet, feeding him/her chicken. duck. fish. ect it would prove to be insuffient to their health. In the wild when a cat catches and eats it pray it doesnt eat around the animals intestines, They eat those also therefore eating whatever that animal has eaten. Meat is the staple to their diet but they need much more than that to live happy healthy lives.
They may not eat around the intestines like other carnivores do, but think to yourself.. How much plant matter is in the stomach of a bird or a mouse? Very very little. Cats need less than 10% of their diet to be carbs, and pretty much the only way to do that is to buy wet cat foods.
Have you never heard of raw diets? It's an all meat diet and cats thrive on it..

emilyanne12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

You're right, a high protein diet may not be right for all cats, but it is right for all healthy cats.

Grains also do not promote urinary tract health, more moisture in the diet and special RX diets do.
If your cat isn't a fairly active cat, high protein can be bad. If the cat doesn't turn the protein into energy and work it off, it will just turn into fat.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If your cat isn't a fairly active cat, high protein can be bad. If the cat doesn't turn the protein into energy and work it off, it will just turn into fat.
If your cat isn't a fairly active cat, then feed it less.
The lower the amount of protein in a food, the more fat and carbs have to be in there. Therefor, you can either feed a high protein diet that "will be excreted in the urine and the rest will be used as calories or converted to fat - causing your cat no harm"* OR you could feed it lots of fat and carbs, which will immediately be turned into fat.

Where are you getting your information????

*http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...547#answer%207

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippin1988

In the wild when a cat catches and eats it pray it doesnt eat around the animals intestines
Really? I guess no one told my carnivores that because they do indeed eat around or shake out the intestines/stomach of heavily vegetarian prey, they eat birds/mice/small rats guts but not rabbits/guinea pigs. Even large mice my cat will leave the intestines sometimes. Who wants to eat all that poop?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ann1688

It turns out this food is owned/made by Petsmart.

Here are the ingredients for the Turkey and rice formula:

3.5lb $9.99
7lb 14.99
14lb 27.99
Turkey and Turkey meal the best of both worlds .. fresh and the dense after cooking ...
nice and most cats who can handle poultry do well on turkey

Oatmeal - If I am going to feed a grain I prefer this one for both transit time and digestibility

Rice flour - easily digested normally in a cat who handles grain s

Dried chicken- normally only seen on a EU label and on that = chicken meal ... slightly questioning it

Tomato pomace - has a purpose but note many cant handle it ( most due to processing

Natural flavor - This is very concerning this high up on a label for me ! It can be MSG and many other "natural " things we would not serve a cat like soy sauce .. Basically you do not know what unless the company is willing to tell... one companies natural garlic flavor came from beets( so not always bad but)

Canola oil- aka rapeseed ... I avoid it in my diet and do my best to avoid it in my animals diets ...

Overall a decent enough food but for the 2 $ a lb ish price point you can find better IMHO

ke$ha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's just another carbohydrate which is the biggest and most essential food group in a cat's diet. And I don't usually recommend grain free products unless the cat is allergic to grains because a lack of grains and high protein (grain free products almost always have much higher protein) can potentially be bad for the kidneys.
......You do realize you have an obligate carnivore right??? If you DO realize that, I don't think you understand what it means. To put it simply, your cat needs nothing but muscle meat, organ meat and bones in their diet to survive. They in no way require grains in their food, no more than they need fruits/veggies in their food. The only thing they should be eating that would contain these foods would be the stomach contents of their omnivores/herbivore prey. Carbs just turn into sugar which are bad and feed cancerous cells and increase the chances of diabetes. Unlike us, cats (and dogs!) don't get their energy from carbs, they get it from FAT. The aim for a good diet for both animals is high protein, high fat and LOW carb!

If people would stop over vaccinating and feeding their pets inappropriate diets many of the problems we see so commonly (cancers, diabetes, obesity, ect) wouldn't be so common. On that note, kidney problems are often caused from poor sources of protein (ie. non-meat sources) and hydration problems. (ie. from feeding a dry kibble only diet) New research has found that if your pet has kidney disease/failure it's actually recommended they get MORE protein from HIGHER QUALITY sources compared to poor research (done on lab rats btw!) years and years ago (80s?) showing that high protein from the wrong sources fed to a totally different species causes kidney problems.