New Cat- Doesnt like my litter! Advice please!

aback729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiancés cat just recently moved into our place with us and his transition has went extremely well. He liked the food I feed my cat better than the food he used to eat, him and my cat are already getting along extremely well, etc. etc. Everything has went great except him using the litter box. He will poop in the open litter box I purchased when he moved into the house (I originally just had a covered litterbox for my cat), but he goes pee in the closet on clothes. I do use a different type of litter than he has used in the past. I use the silicone crystal litter, and I believe he has always used tidy cats litter. Oh, in addition, both cats were also just switched to a twice a day feeding schedule. they had both in the past had food out all day. I did research and concluded that it would be easier to monitor who was eating with having two cats if I switched them to this method.  

Could this indicate a medical issue with him, or is he simply acting out? Is there a better way to prevent this than simply putting our clothes basket where he cant get to it?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just go back to the old litter and see if that solves the problem?

Also, how many boxes do you currently have for them? There should be at least 3 for 2 cats.  Minimum 2 for sure but 3 would be better.  A lot of cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box.  Ours frequently will do one and then jump into another box for the other LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aback729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sherlock, my cat, previously had a fairly bad allergic reaction to either a litter or food he was using. We switched both the litter and the food at the time. I now feed him Taste of the Wild food and crystal litter with him, where as I previously used a cheaper food (I honestly do not remember which kind because it has been so long since this happened with him) and Tidy cats (the same clumping litter that Snowball previously used. I honestly have no idea which thing caused the reaction on Sherlock, but I do know when we switched to the two new things It went away and those were the only things we changed.

I could try switching the litter back and testing if it caused the reaction on Sherlock, but if it did I would just have to switch back again.

I have two litter pans, but I think Snowball is afraid to use the covered litter pan. I have debated removing the cover. Do you think it would help if I did?