New cat dislikes me

3catgurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

We have lift-off!

From the shelf to the floor, to my lap for cuddles and loud purrs...Didn't get to bed till 2.am. I'm in heaven! Now I just have to charm him out of his room... It will come!

Time and space make all the difference, I think and kitties determine both.

Got to sort out pictures for you guys - he's a chubby fellow, but gorgeous none-the-less!

His nice lady owner named him Lexus because that was the car her dad had eighteen months ago, when she adopted him as a kitten.

Not suitable, but don't know if we can do that as he's not a baby anymore. Too much to ask of him, do you think?
That's great! :D

As for the name, if you don't feel comfortable changing it....you could always call him "Lex" and if people ask you could say he's named after Lex Luthor ;)

But seriously though, I think changing the name is upto you and the cat. WE got a rescue cat that the shelter had named Jackie Chan...we renamed him Indy--but it took about 2 months for him to accept and use the new name (not that he really listened to the Jackie Chan one either, mind you.....)

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great minds think alike, D. I've been calling him 'Lex' (as in 'Luthor'),  or 'Lexi' like Alexi Sale (comedian you may be too young to remember).

You're right, of course. I know cats don 't do anything they don't want to. Like they say,. 'Dogs have owners, cats have staff.'

I have to show him to you. He's so bootilicous! It's the BSH in his Bengal - he's such a moosh cat And a bit tubby.!

The vet has recommended different foods and to weigh the portions, and it makes me feel mean, but what else can I do.

I'm toying with names, but right now, we have other things to get used to.

Hope all is well with you and yours...?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Great minds think alike, D. I've been calling him 'Lex' (as in 'Luthor'),  or 'Lexi' like Alexi Sale (comedian you may be too young to remember).

You're right, of course. I know cats don 't do anything they don't want to. Like they say,. 'Dogs have owners, cats have staff.'

I have to show him to you. He's so bootilicous! It's the BSH in his Bengal - he's such a moosh cat And a bit tubby.!

The vet has recommended different foods and to weigh the portions, and it makes me feel mean, but what else can I do.

I'm toying with names, but right now, we have other things to get used to.

Hope all is well with you and yours...?
Hee hee, I thought Lex or Lexi too and yes I do remember Alexi Sale, or was it Sayle???

You'll have to post pics of this kitty while he's still bootilicious or we won't know how much he's been transformed after this tortuous diet regime. 
   What, no enforced kitty-gym DaBird, shelf climbing and hunt for your food paw camp tactics in your house?   Last cat show I went to I had Mouse at the kitty-gym doing pull-ups on the window frame and chasing DaBird for about and hour a day to try and shift his little potbelly. 
   I think he had fun but the potbelly was still there at the end of it  coz he chased after too many biscuits as usual. 

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right, D, it is 'Sayle' - shows you how good my memory is!

'Kitty Gym'? For real?! Cats need motivation, but I can't think of anything that would reduce them to the indignity of a gym session. They're even too cool to sweat. (Honestly, have you ever seen a cat sweat?)

I'm still unsure about the diet regime. I wonder if it's too soon in his re-homing to change his diet. He's only just met my younger son and he was a bit put out by the intrusion on our 'quality time' together. Still, early days...

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S. Thinking about it... I don't think his name matters. He calls for me when he hears my voice and he knows I'll come - get it - I'LL come calling. Then he'll condescend to jump down (languidly) and meet me.

I could be saying, 'Sprouts' or 'Toenail' or 'Sputnik' and he'd come trotting over to see me for cuddles. (I don't think cats listen to us much, anyway- they have their own thoughts and they don't rate the quality of ours.)

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha! My Zoot would pounce on my boyfriend from the rafters or the top of the wardrobe and when I went away for a short business trip, (1-3 nights), 'Mister Meticulous' though he was, would poop in my slipper, a court shoe or (once) at my bedside as I lay sleeping so my boyfriend would tread on it when he brought me my morning coffee. God, I loved that cat!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Ha! My Zoot would pounce on my boyfriend from the rafters or the top of the wardrobe and when I went away for a short business trip, (1-3 nights), 'Mister Meticulous' though he was, would poop in my slipper, a court shoe or (once) at my bedside as I lay sleeping so my boyfriend would tread on it when he brought me my morning coffee. God, I loved that cat!
Now that was one jealous cat!  Eugh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kz59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
.  pooping in the slipper, that's one i've never heard before.  my old one used to poop on the rug when i had men visitors ;)  i had to rename my new kitty when i got her.  original name was Whammo (really?  for a girl?)  she is officially Beatrice (got her around the time i watched Much Ado About Nothing on TV - Beatrice was a stubborn, independent redhead).  however, she answers to Kitty, and anything else that sounds similar. 

the vet said she could lose a little weight (she's 12.5 lbs, not terrible, but slightly pudgy).  i have a small food scale, so i weigh out her wet food 3x daily, then give her around 1/2 cup of dry per day.  the following website is awesome in helping calculate how much your cat should be eating.  it takes a little time, and it's all in grams, but very helpful.  they have a ton of other great info.

http://www.knowyourcat.info/calorycalc.htm

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Now that was one jealous cat!  Eugh!
Sorry D, I still can't use these sites properly: I meant the Zoot story as an answer to a different thread, so it's dis-jointed and out of context. Zoot jealous? Do you think? (Imagine laughing icon). On reflection, wish I'd kept the cat, dumped the boyfriend. But that's another story!