new cat, cats fighting

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our cat we've had for a couple years (Pretty Boy, ~12?, neutered male) and a cat we've had for a month or two (Tikka, ~3?, spayed female) aren't getting along.
Tikka was a stray we found living in a local parking lot with kittens around a year and a half ago. we took her in, got her fixed and vaxxed, and adopted her out. (keeping her away from PB during this time.) we missed her while she was gone. a bit ago the person who took her in couldn't take care of her anymore due to his health failing. he was chronically ill, and Tikka was his main companionship, and she was very flighty when he got her, and has changed a lot since then. they were really close and meant a lot to each other. that's part of why i really want this to work out - if he gets better, I want us to still have her so he can take her back.

we started the introduction process by keeping them in separate rooms. we have a pretty small apartment, so it's pretty much just a small bedroom and a small living room, each with a litter box, food, water, some toys. trying to let them smell each other indirectly, swapping their rooms every so often, and holding them so they can see each other. feeding them together across a baby gate. they were still a little standoffish to each other, but seemed content to do their own thing most of the time. I started bringing pretty boy out into the living room (he's been mostly cooped up in the small bedroom) on a harness and leash, and they'd both eventually just lay and chill on their own out-of-the-way spots up high where they can see each other but not need to stare. but whenever either of them moves, the other one seems driven to chase them down. they've gotten into a few fights. i think we've been impatient with the process, but it feels like no matter how long we keep both of them separate (one always having the shorter end of the stick, being stuck in our bedroom) they don't get any better. half the time, tikka even refuses to eat across from pretty boy. do we just need to have patience and keep trying? will they ever get along? is there anything else i can do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Have you tried any calming products? This situation is a little bit different in that the chasing and fighting seems about equal between the two.
do we just need to have patience and keep trying?
I think there's definitely hope here. Maybe try this;

either with vanilla or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;
From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...so, you know you may have rushed things. Almost always, with cats, you get a do-over. They're great like that. Also, it isn't enough to just separate them. Try swapping their rooms out for a few hours a day. This gets the scent of both cats all over the apartment, so that they have, scent-wise, shared territory. Lots of people overlook this, but I've found that it can really help.

Angelina Nacho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I introduced my dog to my new Kitten and they were playing within 3 weeks time which I was surprised, thought it would months. Though 1 thing that helped was giving each one equal attention and treats, dont rush the process as it can take 7 months for cats to adjust as bad as it sounds it took 9 months for my sistser cat to adjust to their new baby human girl haha. When ever my dog looked at the cat I would move her attention else where so she doesn't fixate on the cat. Lots of rewards when they ignored each other. One day they just started playing gently and they learnt how to play with each other safely. They are left at home together in the same area now. Biggest advise would be to give them treats and affirmations when they ignore each other. If they ignore each other, they will lower their guard and see that they are safe and hopefully will create a better bond by this. Fixating is the downfall. If they fixate move their attention elsewhere.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . It seems you went faster than both cats were comfortable with. Roll back the intros. You said they were still standoffish, but then you proceeded to bringing him on a leash anyway.
Site swap for part of the day would have been more appropriate at that point.

How was feeding going at the gate at that point? I wonder if you can roll back to that step and get some positive interactions in with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the replies and advice, everyone. for the most part it's all stuff i've read before but just felt okay with pushing for some reason... but obviously that isn't working out, so it's good to get the reassurance to go back to basics. I will say I forgot calming products for cats were a thing, and the vanilla thing is genius! thanks furballsmom.

we'll focus on keeping them separate, but swapping, gate feeding, and redirecting their attention/rewarding non-fixating. they're both sweet cats, but they've both been strays, and probably have hostile history with other cats (I'm certain pb has, he has scars... :( ) but I want to do my best to have them get along

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you have a good chance of success! As I said cats are very good about do-overs, Crossing my paws for you, and keep us updated here and there, or, certainly, if anything else crops up!