New cat attacking resident cat

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just moved into my new house a couple of weeks ago and took in a stray kitten. Her name is stella. She's about 4 months old, very sweet and well behaved. A few days ago I took in an older cat from my brother. (By older I mean 3 or 4 years) her name is pixie. Pixie has lived with my mom and my brother, and has been bullied by their cats at both locations. I thought things would be ok because Stella is a kitten and even though she was here first, she hasn't been here for very long. When pixie and Stella met, things were ok. There was growling and hissing, but no attacking each other. They never got closer than a few feet from each other, and would just sit and stare from across the hall. They each have their own rooms with their own litter boxes, food and water, toys, and scratching boards. Last night, pixie attacked Stella while she was eating. I put her in her room for the night and she stayed in there all day. Tonight when I got home, I opened the door so pixie could come out and walk around. She came into our room and started using Stella's litter box. She also ate some of Stella's food. Then she attacked Stella, even though stella was just watching her. Stella has gone into pixies room and looked around, but she hasn't used her litter box or eaten her food or anything. She has not attacked pixie or provoked her in any way that I know of. I was worried about Stella attacking pixie because it seems that other cats just don't like her very much, but I guess it is pixie attacking Stella that I need to worry about. I love both cats and I don't want to have to pick one to keep locked up or get rid of, but I also don't want them to get hurt. What do i do?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You need to separate the cats completely and do proper introductions. It is rare that 2 cats take to each other without doing so.

Go slow and take cues from both cats.

Pixie has gone from living in a home in which she was attacked to your home and put with a new cat that she doesn't know. I highly suspect Pixie's behavior is out of fear.

Play with both cats, but especially Pixie to help build up her confidence. Make sure she is very comfortable in her environment before moving forward with the introduction.

It also might want to consider investing in some Feliway diffusers. I would go for the new MultiCat diffuser. You can order these from Amazon.com and Chewy.com.

Petco and Petsmart have both been running sales for buy 1 get 1 50% off.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, introductions can be redone, and successfully, though it may take a little longer.
You have to reestablish how the cats view each other. But, there are MANY threads on this site in which people have done just as you have and others that had to do reintroductions because they moved through a step too quickly. It happens.

I assume Pixie was accustom to sharing litter boxes at her previous home, so her using Stella's box likely isn't a dominance thing. And, I highly suspect Pixie's behavior is out of fear, not dominance, per say. Pixie has a negative association of other cats due to being bullied at 2 previous homes. Her fight or flight likely kicks in and, because Stella is smaller and less threatening, Pixie chooses to fight.

Pixie has been traumatized, so take that into consideration when doing the introduction. Pixie needs LOTS of positive reinforcement when it comes to Stella...food, treats and play.

Don't tell or reprimand Pixie for hissing/growling or showing negative behavior. This is likely to just make her association of Stella worse. Speak soothingly to Pixie and try to engage her in play if possible.

Most importantly, go slow.

I think it is wonderful what you are doing for Pixie and I really think things can work out for the better.