New Cat Attacking My Oap Resident Cat

Catz3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help!

About 3 months ago I rescued an approx 2 year old male cat. I did a slow introduction and my 2 resident 15 year olds accepted him fine but the new cat keeps attacking them, especially the male. He pounces on his back and bites him, he also does this when he’s sleeping, he stalks him out and attacks. I’ve tried the plug in pheromones but no use. It’s so upsetting to hear him being attacked, he doesn’t fight back just try’s to run away. They all have there own feeding and toilet areas. He also chatters his teeth when he sees the female, then he goes to pounce on her. My old boy is really stressed out and is loosing weight. I don’t know what else to do apart from return him to the rspca which is so upsetting as we have become so attached to him but on the other hand I need to put my old cats welfare first. Any suggestions??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, he is being a perfectly normal 2-year-old cat. He's practicing his hunting skills. The only problem is that the object he is chosen isn't appropriate! If I were you, I would find a GOOD wand toy, something like this:

and wear your young boy out with it 3 or 4 times a day. Really get him going, and keep him going until he just lies there and pants for a few minutes.

Try to make safe-havens for your old guy and girl...somewhere they can get away from him, but not be trapped by him.

This might help with some of the general issues involved:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

Let me know how things are progressing, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catz3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, he is being a perfectly normal 2-year-old cat. He's practicing his hunting skills. The only problem is that the object he is chosen isn't appropriate! If I were you, I would find a GOOD wand toy, something like this:

and wear your young boy out with it 3 or 4 times a day. Really get him going, and keep him going until he just lies there and pants for a few minutes.

Try to make safe-havens for your old guy and girl...somewhere they can get away from him, but not be trapped by him.

This might help with some of the general issues involved:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

Let me know how things are progressing, please!
Thanks

Catz3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. I do have a wand toy like that which he loves. He’s out of the house all day as I have to keep him out whilst at work, he does have access to shelter though, so you would think he should be worn out with all that adventure! He loves the outdoors . My other two cats area is upstairs as this is away from the dogs and this is where the new cat attacks them so they must be so stressed that they don’t have any respite. Do you think it’s possible he will settle down? Or should I just accept it doesn’t work? I try to keep hem separate as it’s so stressful when he has free roam but can’t do this permanently as we have quite a busy household.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frankly, it can take months to get a new cat totally integrated with resident cats. At least he goes out, which gives them a break. Hang in there as long as you can, and should you decide that you MUST give him up, perhaps you know someone who could give him a loving home. That way, you could retain "visiting rights."

Catz3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Frankly, it can take months to get a new cat totally integrated with resident cats. At least he goes out, which gives them a break. Hang in there as long as you can, and should you decide that you MUST give him up, perhaps you know someone who could give him a loving home. That way, you could retain "visiting rights."
Thank you for your advice. I have never had this issue before, I guess I’ve been lucky as all the cats I’ve had have got on okay. We did have a think of who we thought might want to take him on but on one was suitable unfortunately. Ill give it a bit longer and see how it goes, and keep praying that he stops attacking the others! If only I could talk with him and explain he could loose his home if he doesn’t buck his ideas up!

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have to separate them for a while with a transitional barrier they can see and smell though. Give it time. Months, not weeks.

Catz3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s a bit tricky as it’s a busy household, kids, dogs and cats. I’ve started to shut my old cats in bedrooms as all they want to do is sleep peacefully and then have mutual time when I’m present.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as your old guys have some peace and quiet, you do what works for your life. In the end, that's what we all do, and it is all that we can do.