new cat and pregnant?!

megansmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello i got given a cat a few weeks ago and shes skinny but has a huge tummy, her nipples are big and last week you can see and feel the kittens move so im very sure she is pregnant, how far do you think she is? Shes a very happy kitty purring alot. I will be taking her to vet as soon as i can get her there. X

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello i got given a cat a few weeks ago and shes skinny but has a huge tummy, her nipples are big and last week you can see and feel the kittens move so im very sure she is pregnant, how far do you think she is? Shes a very happy kitty purring alot. I will be taking her to vet as soon as i can get her there. X
As you feel them since a week, she has just about one week - 10 days left!   Give her as good food you can,  kitten food type dry, or decent quality wet food.  Not too big portions in the beginning - if she was malnoutrished and starved earlier she perhaps dont manage a real rich food.  So go stepwise forward.

Goat milk is good both for mom and as extra for the kittens, should they need extra supplement.    If they dont need this - you can have it yourself, perhaps with coffee if you dont like to drink goat milk.   If you cant get goat milk, you can surely use some good kmr-milk, with the same idea - to give her an easy to melt extra nourishment.

I will paste in some links last in this post.

Please continue to report and ask, free at will.

Good luck!

Most of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

megansmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, in giving her kitten dry food and adult wet food as she very fusy on what she eats, the last owner just used to feed her scraps, in feeding her small meals but frequent as she asking for more. Okay i will try goats milk with her and wow in not ready for kittens haha thank you. Xx

megansmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help she was meowing and went on my bed and shes layed down and there is some yellowish goo coming out her bits. What's that? Xx

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Help she was meowing and went on my bed and shes layed down and there is some yellowish goo coming out her bits. What's that? Xx
I guess on mucus plug.  Which means its probably close, less than 24 hours.

But its not entirely sure.  Mucus plug goes sometimes earlier, even a whole week earlier.  Its supposed to increase the risk for infections, but with home cats its seldom a problem...

She can also have some precontractions - quite common.

Be observant, but dont worry too much.  You dont want to scare her by being visibly worried.     :)

Last edited:

megansmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like my baby girl is in labour! Shes in her nesting area pushing and looks like her water have gone. She wont let me leave, as i have a toddler i have to keep an eye on her, so when i go check my kitty will find me and keep meowing at me to go and stay with her xx

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hope everything is going well! Keep us posted followed by photos!

We will continue to help where we can

megansmummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Question after my cats had all her babies, shall i move them all on to dry blankets as ones there on are wet, bloody and yucky or shall i just leave them x