New Cat And Coronavirus... Please Advise

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've just come back from the vet after a general health testing for my new shelter cat. She was positive for FCoV / coronavirus (negative for FeLV and FIV and everything else). The vet basically said that while externally she looks well, her immune system isn't strong. He said the coronavirus is in her gut (?). Right now though, her main issue is gum disease, which we are going to medicate for three weeks and see how she does. It's causing her to sneeze and not breathe well, and causing mouth pain. If she doesn't improve in a month, he recommended pulling all her teeth.

I asked about whether she is safe to introduce to my current cat. He reassured me several times and said yes, it is safe. He said most cats have coronavirus, especially shelter cats, and my current cat may have it as well, and that most easily fight it off if their immune systems are strong. And I asked specifically if new cat had FIP and he said no, but explained that there may be a small risk of it mutating to FIP in the future.

I admit I was a bit confused by all this - I've heard coronavirus is hugely contagious. I know FIP is deadly, even if she doesn't have that. Wouldn't this all be putting my current cat at the same risk? There is a slight language barrier, so I may have misunderstood what he was trying to say. Overall he was emphatic that it is perfectly safe to introduce them. My current cat had titer tests last year that showed her very healthy and strong, but I don't know if she carries FCoV.

This is the first visit with this vet. I like him a lot based on his thorough explanations and kind handling of my cat, and he came well-recommended by the shelter, but I don't have long-established trust in him so I wanted to hear from all your experiences as well. I want to trust him but I also want to be very careful. If I wasn't 100% thorough about this and something happened to my current cat, I would never ever forgive myself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What I understand about the corona virus is the same as what your vet has said. A majority of cats contract it while they are kittens, especially strays or shelter cats. There is a good possibility that your current cat may already have the virus. The virus typically resides in the digestive system, and generally remains dormant. Most cats live long healthy lives without it mutating into FIP. Weak immune systems are the primary reason corona develops into FIP. Usually - but not always - if this happens it tends to be in a cat's elder years. Just like humans their immune systems weaken with age.

I am guessing that the gum disease is causing the vet to say that her immune system isn't strong? That being the case, getting the gum disease treated and eradicated should boost her immune system. Ask your vet about this.

I lost Tawny at age 15+ due to FIP. He was a stray that found his way to me when he was approx. 6 mos old. The vet told me that he more than likely had carried the corona virus all of his life and in his case his age/health diminished his immune system enough to cause the virus to develop into FIP.

You can also ask your vet to test your current cat for corona? At least that way, you would know one way or the other. Get your new cat's gum disease taken care of, and worry about FIP later (hopefully much, much later - if ever at all).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About 50% of cats in single-cat households already have coronavirus. In multi-cat households, that number goes up to 80-90%. It is very rare for the virus to mutate into FIP, and even more rare for it to happen in a cat over 2 years old. IF your current cat came from a shelter, or a house with several cats, it is highly likely that she already carries the virus. And if both cats are over 2 years old, it is unlikely that either of them will mutate to FIP.

I thought maybe some actual percentages would ease your mind a bit. Your vet is right. The danger is really negligible. In fact, if either cat were to develope FIP, it would more likely be the new cat, from the stress of being in a new place, although that chance still remains very small.

The sad fact is that we cannot protect them from everything. But in this case, I'd advise relaxing, dealing with the new cat's health issues, and not worrying about a tiny "maybe."

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cat had titer tests last year that showed her very healthy and strong, but I don't know if she carries FCoV.
What titer tests were run on your current cat last year? Was this a coronavirus titer? If she had a titer showing an immune response to coronavirus, that means she has already been exposed in the past.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. I am feeling better about the situation and planning to move forward with introducing them. I wish we could protect our kitties from everything all the time but I understand there are some risks worth taking and I think this is one of them for me.

What titer tests were run on your current cat last year? Was this a coronavirus titer? If she had a titer showing an immune response to coronavirus, that means she has already been exposed in the past.
These titer tests were done before I got her, in her previous home, so I have no idea what exactly was done. The previous owners didn’t have those records on hand but I trust their word that the results were good. Next time I get my cat’s checkup, which will be soon, I’ll have them test for corona just to put my mind at ease.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I"m happy to hear this. Yes, have the titer done, just so you know, but they are older cats, and at miniscule risk at this point in their lives. ENJOY! And if you need advice on introductions, DO post a thread about that in the "Behavior" forum!