New cat aggressive towards me

sinead campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Im having a problem with my new cat. I got him yesterday and he doesn't stop attacking me. Its completely unprovoked, he comes up to me as I'm sitting down and just lunges at my arm to bite it. Ive had cats all my life and this is the first time I've ever had this kind of problem. I was told before I got him that he was very friendly and cuddly and a real lovely cat, which so far i have seen no proof of. Im putting it down to him being in a completely new environment but its still making me uncomfortable and worrying me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sinead campbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I know he is of course stressed out but I just don't know what to do. whenever he tries to bite me, if I move he immediately runs under my bed, and I'm worried he will try to attack me while I'm sleeping, because once he's under my bed I can't get him out.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there another room you could try getting him into that would allow him privacy?  You could try using wet food to get him into the room.  It sounds like he is just really scared right now and needs his own space to have time to just chill out.  It might be a good idea to just give him his own room with his food toys and litter box.  He may just need a day without contact to chill. It seems like he is overwhelmed from the sudden change in his living arrangements. If you do not have another room to give him perhaps you could sleep on the couch tonight just to give him some space.  I am sorry I do not have any other ideas.  Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you better answers.  I just wanted to let you know someone cares about what you are both going through.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I know he is of course stressed out but I just don't know what to do. whenever he tries to bite me, if I move he immediately runs under my bed, and I'm worried he will try to attack me while I'm sleeping, because once he's under my bed I can't get him out.
How old is he? I would strongly advise you not to let him sleep with you. Once he is out of the bedroom close the door. Just leave him be. I'm sure he will be fine once he sees there's nothing to be afraid of. Try to imagine how he feels & I am sure, with patience on both sides, everything will be fine.