New cat - a lot of questions

bucktoothfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there everyone!

I just got a new cat and he is a sweetheart but I have a few questions!

He's around a year old now but was found when he was only a kitten and spent the last six+ months in a petstore cage being petted through bars by random people. Now its really hard to pet him without him clawing or biting because I guess thats how hes used to interacting with people. Do you think he'll grow out of this if I just try to pet him nicely and keep redirecting his teeth and claws onto toys?

Also, he is very playful and has very little interest in just sitting still and cuddling, do you think he might get more snuggly as he ages? I've never had a cat this young before and I'm kind of overwhelmed by how much time he wants to spend playing!

I'm kind of nervous because he has met a ton of people in his little life and I really want him to bond closely to me. Is there any tricks you guys know of that might help him get attached to me? I'm a bit scared that he has met so many people that he doesn't really bother bonding with anyone anymore.

And oh wait okay last question, since he's gone his whole life so far without really having a name, do you think it will be harder for him to learn a name now?

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hello there everyone!

He's around a year old now but was found when he was only a kitten and spent the last six+ months in a petstore cage being petted through bars by random people. Now its really hard to pet him without him clawing or biting because I guess thats how hes used to interacting with people. Do you think he'll grow out of this if I just try to pet him nicely and keep redirecting his teeth and claws onto toys?

Also, he is very playful and has very little interest in just sitting still and cuddling, do you think he might get more snuggly as he ages? I've never had a cat this young before and I'm kind of overwhelmed by how much time he wants to spend playing!

I'm kind of nervous because he has met a ton of people in his little life and I really want him to bond closely to me. Is there any tricks you guys know of that might help him get attached to me? I'm a bit scared that he has met so many people that he doesn't really bother bonding with anyone anymore.

And oh wait okay last question, since he's gone his whole life so far without really having a name, do you think it will be harder for him to learn a name now?
Hi there, and welcome!

You shouldn't worry about him, he is still very young and has a lot to learn!!! You might want to think of him as still a kitten for a few more years...

It's actually a great thing he has had a lot of interaction! That means he will be a social kitty. It's not great that he's been in a cage, but maybe this will allow him to appreciate you and the space you've generously given him! :)

He has learned to play with hands. So it's your job to make sure he UN-learns that. Whenever he swats you with claws, give him a big ol HISS or screech. This is how his mama teaches him, so you need to start giving him boundaries. Walk away if he is biting/scratching. Make him know he is hurting you. Don't get too anxious and, honestly, the best advice is to make your hand go limp, screech, and walk away.

Play with him a lot, use different toys, see what he likes... it's important to tire him out with play, as he is a single kitty. 

With time, patience and care, he will become snugglier and snugglier! :)

I would try picking a name now, preferably something that ends with "EE" and stick with it. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, he's very young and has a lot of time to change! He'll mellow some as he gets older, he is definitely in the kitten stage at his age now. Do hiss or make a loud noise at him, I agree he will learn this is NOT the way to play!. You'll do fine, just be patient and kind, (and offer treats), he'll bond fine with you and you to him. If you are really overwhelmed with his play time get another kitten! They'll play together all the time. If you can't, just play with him as much as you can, my cats just LOVE to play all the time with a long toy called A 'KICKEROO' they will spend a lot of time with it. As for a name, they all eventually learn their names, it just takes time and a lot of repeating. Good luck!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hello there everyone!

You never know. He's still very young, and you might be surprised how much they can change once they're in a loving home. I expected Pia to always be a little stand-offish because her experiences with people early in life were so bad and she traded hands a lot. But she has already warmed up more in 6 months than I ever expected her to in her entire life. She wasn't much older than your cat when I adopted her.

Redirection is a good strategy. He needs to learn hands aren't toys! He also needs to get that play energy burned off, otherwise he will be looking for any excuse to vent it out on whatever's available. If you are serious about play time, you can wear him out within 15 minutes. Do that twice a day, and his energy levels will even out a lot. Cats don't really have a ton of endurance. You just have to keep them going. Something like Da Bird usually works well for that.

As far as petting him, I'd say start of slower. When play is done and he's sleepy and all contented, just sit or lay near him, doing the slow blink "I love you!" Which is basically just closing your eyes slowly and then opening them slowly while looking at him. This is kitty talk for "I'm comfortable and happy to be around you." He might return the blink.

Making sure he's still chill, then maybe move your hand towards his neck or cheeks or another spot that almost all kitties like and scratch gently. He might respond better in a chilled out state.

Don't worry about bonding. None of those other people he met ever spent the time on him or did as many nice things for him as you do. He knows the difference between some random person reaching through bars, and someone he shares a home with who keeps him safe and warm and well-fed. Just give it a little bit of time, and let him come to you.

As far as names, I don't think it should be an issue. Anything you repeat while looking at him, he will learn relatively quickly. Pia has been renamed three times, and she learned her name within a month, I'd say. A lot of cats respond best to names or nicknames with "eee" sounds in them, so perhaps that's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bucktoothfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! You are all very reassuring! :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of time, patience, and TLC will win this little guy over.  Give him time to get adjusted to a forever home and then start working on the socialization skills.

doreet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI, THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY ADOPTED CAT, BELLA,

3 YRS OLD; HATES BEING HELD, OR PICKED UP; REALLY SCARED IF I EVEN RAISE MY VOICE. I THINK SHE WAS ABUSED, OR NEVER GOT HER KITTEN PLAY, AND NEVER LEARNED TO BE PICKED UP AND HELD. IS NOT AFFECTIONATE(YESH SHE WANTS TO PLAY ALL THE TIME!!  SHES SCARED OF NEW PEOPLE. SHE ACTS LIKE someone SCREAMED AT HER OR GOT ANGRY ALL THE TIME.

I REALLY LOVE HER ANYWAY, AND EVEN HER SCRATCHING AND WIERD BEHAVIOR, I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP ON HER, OR GIVE HER AWAY; MAYBE SHE NEEDS OTHER CATS??I HAVVE TO NOW MODIFY MY MOODS, NOT GET LOUD, OR ACT FRUSTRATED, AND NOT GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE. I GUESS I DON'T HAVE INFO. YET ON HOW TO HELP  HER SCRATCHING HER HEAD( SHE WAS TREATED FOR EAR BUGS, GOT WELL.)   I also think my cat has a lot of unfulfilled play-kitten-issues, amd seems to have had a hard time.

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing you could try is rubbing a towel on you and placing it on the cat's sleeping area. That way your cat will be reminded me of you when you're not around and it might help with bonding.