New Brother or Sister?

crumblys dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm going to get Crumbly a little brother or sister today.
Does it matter what sex I get?
Does a male and female get along as happily as a Male and a Male?
(I will be getting both neutered whichever I decide upon)

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I my opinion - it just depends on the personality of both cats - not wether one is female or male.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crumblys Dad

Hi all,
I'm going to get Crumbly a little brother or sister today.
Does it matter what sex I get?
Does a male and female get along as happily as a Male and a Male?
(I will be getting both neutered whichever I decide upon)
I don't know. If you get two males, you'll want to get them fixed. My sister has two males, un-neutered.... and, let me just say... EW!

If you get a male and female, you'll want to get them fixed, too. So... it really depends on what you want. It depends on the personality of the cats too... I don't know. All I know is that you don't want to leave two unfixed males together for long periods of time, like living together, cause trust me, you'll be scarred for life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crumblys dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I got a female, Im going to get them both fixed and my vet said that if I do that, it wont matter what sex they are.
I just got the new kitten home (literally 30 minutes from me posting this), shes all black and 7 weeks old (1 week younger than Crumbly), I let her have an explore of the house by herself then I introduced Crumbly to her.
Crumbly stalks and jumps on her all of the time and seems to hold her to the floor, occassionaly it goes to far and they cry and struggle (As crumbly is slightly bigger) I dont think he is really "Attacking" the other kitten, for as soon as I dangle his bird on a rope he goes after that, so im sure he's just playing, i just wonder if it is excessivley rough,
Is this usual?
Im guessing it is and they will soon get used to each other, as I dont expect them to instantly cuddle up and start preening each other.
Are there anymore tips? Should I keep them apart for a while?

I really appreciate everyones input as I am a Cat novice and these are my first cats.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, I would keep them separated when you aren't able to supervise... that's what I'd do.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep them separated as well.
And you will need to get at least 2 more litterboxes.
They say two per cat, but some people are ok with 3 for two cats.

You will get lots of great advice here..But they are still both very young. 7 weeks is a bit young to be away from mamacat as they learn critical things from her at this time.

I suggest you get a kitten mitten also (a big hideous long glove) for playtime so they attack the glove and not your fingers.

Cheers

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We kept Bijou and Mika separated during the day while we were at work and allowed them together with supervision during the evening for a whole month before we left them on their own. They still occasionally have rough play but although Mika is about 10 lbs. lighter than Bijou she can hold her own.

We have only 2 litter boxes - one for Mika and one for Bijou. What we have found is that they both pee in one and both poo in the other. We've had no issues with only 2 boxes and we scoop both at least once per day and if we're home, maybe twice. Both cats share food as well - Bijou will help himself to Mika's food in our daughter's bedroom and she will do the same with his food in the kitchen. Neither cat seems to mind.

I would agree with the above post that it really depends on the cats' personality rather than the sex.

Enjoy your fur babies and congratulations on the addition!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, what age will your vet spay or neuter? It can be done as young as 12 weeks but some vets won't do it until 6 months. If your vet won't do it until 6 months, starting at about 4 months or so you will have to seperate them ALL THE TIME because the male can get the female pregnant. A lot of people don't realize it can happen this young, and it won't in every single cat, but it CAN. So keep that in mind.

crumblys dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and see if I can get at least one of them fixed earlier, thanks to everyone else for your replies aswell

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that they'd do the male sooner. That's just how it seems it would be to me. If you notice, to spay a female, it cost more, usually. Therefore, that must mean it's a slightly more complicated procedure. And it is. I've watched a vet spay before. It's more complicated than a neuter, so I'd think they'd do the boy first.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And plus the male will start to spray and most likely the female won't. I did have a female who sprayed though but I think it is WAY more common in males. Nobody wants to deal with that because it is the WORST smell in the world and it is very hard to get out. So push for the male to get done first. Oh and the female can't get spayed until she is done lactating so no point in making the male wait all that time so the female can go first. Just get the male done asap.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

And plus the male will start to spray and most likely the female won't. I did have a female who sprayed though but I think it is WAY more common in males. Nobody wants to deal with that because it is the WORST smell in the world and it is very hard to get out. So push for the male to get done first. Oh and the female can't get spayed until she is done lactating so no point in making the male wait all that time so the female can go first. Just get the male done asap.
It is the worst smell. We had a huge problem with that before we got Billy neutered. He peed in my dad's bag that he brought to work! It had a change of clothes in it, his cell phone, and his cigarettes (which I think he was maddest about
But he quit smoking. P.S. YAY!!!), and boy did Billy get in trouble! The smell smells like mold, and it is VERY hard to get rid of. Steam clean, Pine Sol, Lysol, Smelly stuff.... it's hard, that's all I have to say.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

It is the worst smell. We had a huge problem with that before we got Billy neutered. He peed in my dad's bag that he brought to work! It had a change of clothes in it, his cell phone, and his cigarettes (which I think he was maddest about
But he quit smoking. P.S. YAY!!!), and boy did Billy get in trouble! The smell smells like mold, and it is VERY hard to get rid of. Steam clean, Pine Sol, Lysol, Smelly stuff.... it's hard, that's all I have to say.
Actually, pine sol is toxic to cats.
It contains phenol and pine oil which can cause cats or other animals to become extremely lethargic after ingesting the fumes and which can be fatal if not treated.

And why would Billy get in trouble? He was only doing what was natural.

Though its good your dad quit smoking.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. When we use Pine Sol, we use very little in areas the cats go in. Don't worry.

2. Billy got in trouble cause he peed in my dad's bag! It's also natural for him to attack us, but we didn't let him get away with that either!!! Just like cats get in trouble for scratching on furniture. It's natural, but I know every cat has gotten in trouble for that.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, toxic means not "a little bit"...I wouldn't take the risk..But to each his own.

And I don't really think its right to scold a cat (or whatever you mean by "trouble")
for something thats preventable.
An unneutered male will spray everywhere and anywhere..
They can be neutered before they begin spraying when they are still kittens.
I think prevention and re-direction is the key...
But again, to each his own...

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think it's a little out of hand when he sprays me! And, I don't think it's wrong to discipline my cat for something he did. I'm sure there are counters you have that the cats are allowed on, right? What happens when he/she jumps up there? Don't you discipline the cat? Maybe yell a quick, "Get down!"? What if when they go up in your counter? You tell them to get out, right? Maybe not yelling at them? Just scooting them out, and saying a no so sharp "no." What if they chew on your checkbook, or something important, or cords? You discipline them, right? What if your kitty attacked you? I'm talking sinking teeth in, clawing... all the works. He/she would be in lots of trouble, right? Well, all that is something they'd do natural, right? Jump, climb, and chew, attack.... so, why do you discipline them? Because you are trying to teach them that they can't do that in your house, right? They may be able to do it in the wild, but not here. That's why Billy got in trouble the third time he sprayed in my dad's bag, and when he sprayed on me! Trust me, my cats are nothing less than spoiled. And in return, they aren't allowed to do certain things. They know everything they aren't allowed to do by now. They have known for a while. And when they do it anyway, they have to be taught that there are consequences. Spray bottle, or a sharp no, and if it's something really bad, like trying to attack again, he's locked up in my carrier for a while. But, trust me, my cat's aren't overly disciplined, and are nothing less than treated like royalty.

crumblys dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These replies have been very educational for me and I thank you all for them, as far as discipline goes, my baby is still so new to me (only had him for 10 days) i dont think I could ever bring myself to discipline him yet, but I am aware that eventually I will have to and I will be studying these forums to decide upon what I think is the best way.

Anyway, like the topic says, Brother or Sister,

I took the advice in this thread and kept them seperate, but both cried and cried at each other through the door, so i introduced them quite early (same day, i know it was probably not the best thing to do, but read on
).
Crumbly stalked, pounced and pinned Ruby (his new little sister) to the ground constantly, for a whole day, i was really worried and a bit upset about this as crumbly would not leave her alone, i tried seperating them again but they both cried and cried, I decided to leave them at it and went to bed,
I woke this morning to find them both asleep on each other, and when they woke it was a total role reversal, Ruby kept pouncing on Crumbly!

Now they are the best of friends and I cant remeber I time that I felt as happy,
Ruby wasnt litter trained and left me a little present, so I showed her it and put her in the litter tray with it, later that evening she used the tray all on her own and hasnt been naughty since (I had no idea litter training would be so easy) but... Ruby doesnt cover/bury her poos? but I am so proud of Crumbly as when she is finished, he climbs in and buries it for her.

I have never been so occupied and as happy as I have been these past ten days for very long time

Sorry for rambling, but i just cant help it

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just wanted to say I'm happy things are going well for you and your kitties. You may want to let the person you got your kittens know that 7 and 8 weeks is WAY WAY WAY too young to be taken away from their mama. They need to be with mama at least until 12 weeks. Hope you have smooth sailing from here on out!!

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that kittens seperated from mom don't learn about covering poo from her. I've noticed that about half the kittens I foster seem to learn it, the other just leave it sitting there, which is SO stinky. But oh well.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crumblys Dad

These replies have been very educational for me and I thank you all for them, as far as discipline goes, my baby is still so new to me (only had him for 10 days) i dont think I could ever bring myself to discipline him yet, but I am aware that eventually I will have to and I will be studying these forums to decide upon what I think is the best way.

Anyway, like the topic says, Brother or Sister,

I took the advice in this thread and kept them seperate, but both cried and cried at each other through the door, so i introduced them quite early (same day, i know it was probably not the best thing to do, but read on
).
Crumbly stalked, pounced and pinned Ruby (his new little sister) to the ground constantly, for a whole day, i was really worried and a bit upset about this as crumbly would not leave her alone, i tried seperating them again but they both cried and cried, I decided to leave them at it and went to bed,
I woke this morning to find them both asleep on each other, and when they woke it was a total role reversal, Ruby kept pouncing on Crumbly!

Now they are the best of friends and I cant remeber I time that I felt as happy,
Ruby wasnt litter trained and left me a little present, so I showed her it and put her in the litter tray with it, later that evening she used the tray all on her own and hasnt been naughty since (I had no idea litter training would be so easy) but... Ruby doesnt cover/bury her poos? but I am so proud of Crumbly as when she is finished, he climbs in and buries it for her.

I have never been so occupied and as happy as I have been these past ten days for very long time

Sorry for rambling, but i just cant help it
Crumblysdad:
Glad to hear all is going well and they are getting along swimmingly!! I hope they will be best friends for life!!

Good to hear that Ruby is catching on about litter training..She may have another accident but don't despair..it sounds as if she is picking it up quickly.
The best thing I think for a kitten that young is to have litter pans very close
(I don't know if they have full reign the house or not)...I would suggest keeping them in a smaller kitten proofed area so that she can make it to the bathroom faster as well as not get into mischief all over the house...
Some people elect to buy those disposable cake/roast pans (the small ones and have them all over the house at the housebreaking stage....and then gradually take them away until you have the required permanent litter boxes)..

As for discipline, the point I was attempting to make to CJandBilly was that I think discipline is only necessary if you do everything you can to prevent the natural behaviour in a cat..
IE, Crumbly will most likely spray when he reaches maturity..THis is a normal mating signal..However, this is an owner preventable behaviour..so get him (and her as well) neutered/spayed as soon as you can....
This also will prevent unnecessary kittens being born into a world that is already overcrowded

For scratching, which kittens and cats will do, buy a scratching post or two! and place them in rooms that you use most...and re-direct the kitten/cat to the post when you see him/her scratching..Ie, don't yell, just pick kitten up and take it to the scratching post and simulate the scratching movement with their paws..
And place some double sided sticky tape on the areas they might scratch on your furniture and this would deter them from using that furniture for that purpose..

As for biting, as I mentioned, don't play with kittens with your hands...Get a kitten mitten or other interactive toy so that they see that the toys are for biting and not people...

Hopefully it continues to go well and keep us updated with pics and stories!!

Cheers