New Breeder Cat Not Going Into Second Cycle.

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a ragdoll female who had her first heat cycle for 3 days. Non stop calling and desperate to have my male breed her. But since both are first timers, breeding was unsuccessful. She was 10 months old in mid May, which I was fine she didn't get pregnant. Now its mid July. No calling, no heat cycle, but she isn't as aggressive towards my male. After her first heat, she became aggressive to my boy. She wanted nothing to do with him. What i mean by aggression is, she would growl or hiss if he come close. These past 2 or 3 weeks she has tolerated him. No change in her nipples, no belly..she is physically normal.

So I been researching how often cats go into to heat..i keep seing anything from 1 to 3 weeks periods between heat cycle until pregnant. Well its now July! Im worried. Is she never going into heat? Is she now unable to breed. Or is all the research wrong??
Im a new registered breeder. I started last year. My pair are now champion title. I do show. Unfortunately, my girl is a year and hasn't had a 2nd heat to try again to breed her to my male.

Any clarity or suggestion. I Would like to understand. I spoke to her breeder who said cats go into heat every 3 months. So I have my research and breeder input. Both are contradicting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, female cats should not be bred until they are at least 18 months old and fully sexually mature. Then, they should only have one litter per year, and only until they are 5 or 6. Then they should retire.

Second, cats are not necessarily on a regular heat cycle. It all depends on the individual cat. Some will experience monthly heats, others less often. There is no way to control it.

How old is your male? Males are not usually sexually mature until about 18 months old also.

You need to relax, let time pass, and let mother nature take care of things.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as how often cats come into heat, there is not really a rule of thumb like "every 3 months" or "every 3 weeks." Different cats are different and it can also depend on the season of the year. I have had cats that come into heat every 2 weeks if not bred (exhausting...) while at the other end of the spectrum there are cats that come into heat maybe 2-3 times per year. It was a good idea to ask your cat's breeder, since she is familiar with your cat's bloodlines, her guess is probably better than some web site's guess.

It's okay that your girl did not get pregnant at 10 months, as that is a little young for her first pregnancy. It's actually a good thing that she is not cycling too often, this gives her time to grow and mature. You will just have to wait and see when she comes into heat again.

As far as your girl's behavior, teenage cats can be hormonal and hissy with each other. At 12 months old she is still a teenager, behaviorally.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, you were lucky nothing much happened, they / she were youngish. And if he was too young, he wont be succesfull, of course. Ragdolls being longhaired mature later on than the shorthairs. So wait a few months more.

Next time you try for real.
The trick with cats living togehter and not "igniting" on each other, is to have them in a especial mating room when the time for mating comes. Not too big, but not too small either.
Prepared with some food, water, litter, laying places, scratching post,
and several places to hide and fly upon. The female usually chases the male viciously after a succesfull mating, so he must have somewhere to fly upon.
Also, such makes them calmer as they both know they can always flee if necessary.
I mean, if HE is eager but not she, he shall court her, not rape.

The idea is, they will see here is somewhat unusual going and, and they are prob supposed to do something unusual.

Some extra vitamine E for her and even him, may also help.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before breeding, it is critical that you have tested both cats for relevant heart conditions, like HCM. Have you done this?

Do you have a vet that you trust? You will need to work closely with them in case anything goes wrong during the birth or pregancy.

Do you have the finances in case something goes terribly wrong?

And do you have a breeding mentor who can guide you through this process?

It is worth making sure you have everything in order before you begin. There are lives at risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I done more test than any mentor or 90% of breeders. I might have my first breeding attempt but not totally clueless. As for breeding age, its my preference when I breed. You wouldn't like having mothers tell you how you should raise your children and anything different is wrong. There is no one way to do anything. There are ok ways, good ways, extremely outstanding ways, and over the top un nessary ways (as people have said I over done all the testing i done...well its doesn't hurt, if i want to spend $$$$$ to be sure All test are N/N even if there is a 1% chance my cat will have. Their my cats). Im very respectful of other breeder's breeding program methods. Its non of my business..if I don't agree, well, i don't do it myself. Same with children. I don't believe my way is the only way or gossip about it. Please respect one another and keep the answers strictly to the questions of any individual both in the breeding world and in our personal life. =)

I also didn't worry about my female becoming pregnant at 10months since it was a far shot from success. I didn't arrange for them to breed but my female was extremely affection and desperate to be bred by my male. Only for 3 days. It did work out since it gave her the opportunity to show and champion.

As to what i have done, who my vet is, or the who, What when where and how... that's off topic, I will not answer since its off topic besides what I have mentioned above.

If you wish to help answer my questions, great! I've found a great non hostile environment to learn from.

Some of these type of response is discouraging to new breeders seeking help, and insults my intelligence and work i have done. Its not right to assume, especially OFF TOPIC. If one ask, great, and mostly will be a different thread. Unless its specific to the question/s answer away! =)

Thank you to those who answered respectfully. Have a great week!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I done more test than any mentor or 90% of breeders. I might have my first breeding attempt but not totally clueless. As for breeding age, its my preference when I breed. You wouldn't like having mothers tell you how you should raise your children and anything different is wrong. There is no one way to do anything. There are ok ways, good ways, extremely outstanding ways, and over the top un nessary ways (as people have said I over done all the testing i done...well its doesn't hurt, if i want to spend $$$$$ to be sure All test are N/N even if there is a 1% chance my cat will have. Their my cats). Im very respectful of other breeder's breeding program methods. Its non of my business..if I don't agree, well, i don't do it myself. Same with children. I don't believe my way is the only way or gossip about it. Please respect one another and keep the answers strictly to the questions of any individual both in the breeding world and in our personal life. =)
I think you missed the point. It isn't about personal preference, it is about when the cats are fully mature, grown and developed. It is like a 12 year old human child having a baby just because they had their period. That is all anyone is saying here.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also you will come to find that this is a cat community where people come to share their experiences and we are all concerned for the well being of cats, whether it is part of a breeding program or a spayed house cat. We talk, we discuss, we aren't going to ignore serious issues just because it wasn't quite what you asked. You can choose to ignore our advice but that is the core of what this board you joined is about.

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also you will come to find that this is a cat community where people come to share their experiences and we are all concerned for the well being of cats, whether it is part of a breeding program or a spayed house cat. We talk, we discuss, we aren't going to ignore serious issues just because it wasn't quite what you asked. You can choose to ignore our advice but that is the core of what this board you joined is about.
Seriously, you feel breeding at when a cat is 10 months is a serious health concern? I think its people trying to force their way..its a power trip. If what, if we dont apply your beliefs we are now putting our cats at risk? A cat can be 2 or 3 years old or 10 or 12 months old. The risk for complications is there for all ages and types. First of all, the feline species have survived without the selective and forceful ways of those with a controlling mental ways. And yes! Even humans have thrived getting pregnant at 12. A girls development to a women was the appropriate age for marriage. I find disturbing, and now that age is 18. Dispite all that, i had my first pregnancy (a 11 year old now) under 16 years old! Im perfectly fine..above average healthy and successful. I believe our immediate environment has more influence on a cats or as u mentioned a humans well being. So no. I don't agree everyone is concerned...most of the time its a power trip. Suck it up and respect one's way...unless you agree the whole community should intervene in your way of raising your children and how you should or should not be as a wife. RESPECT. Sometimes people forget what it mean, just because its cats, doesn't give you the right to be nosey or step in. The comments on...do you have money. Do you do testing is unnecessary. Ummm did your community ask if you are making over $60k a year. Oh because if not, just know children are expensive and require the best doctors and food, and clothing..god forbid you cant afford organic food. Sounds fair? Or right to judge and force your opinion and go off topic. Its non of your business if someone can afford a breeder program or something else ive heard, what food is appropriate! Im lashing out because this is not the first time i experience off topic criticism and forcing methods. 100% of breeding threads has someone with a power trip trying to force their way. If its not their way...your a horrible breeder.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have hugely benefited from the truly wonderful people on this site who are so generous with their time offering knowledgeable advice, based on experience, and have certainly helped save countless cats with pointing out things that may not have come to mind of the poster.

Please be open to advice, as it may help your cats

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are certain that you already know best, what exactly are you looking for here?

I'm not being either sarcastic or rhetorical. I'm genuinely asking what type of feedback you're seeking, because you state that you're having an issue but then you seem to feel extremely defensive about any feedback about what you could do differently.

So... what do you need from this forum?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that BlueDreams primarily wanted to know how often female cats go into heat, and whether it was normal to go two or more months between heat cycles.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are not all breeders here. I, for one, am not. There are thousands of members here, many have been active for years. Many have wonderful breeding programs, and others are advocates for rescue and neutering. I may be one of a few who spoke up, but this is the general consensus of the majority of the people on this forum. We are a site dedicated to the proper care and welfare of cats. You are such an expert breeder but you don't know how heat cycles work? Come on.

It isn't unnecessary to ask if you have tested your cats. As a breeder do you not want to know if your cats are passing down any genetic diseases or conditions in all the little lives you are bringing into the world?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many have wonderful breeding programs, and others are advocates for rescue and neutering.
Just to add, lots of breeders are involved in rescue, too; it's not either-or :)
And conversely, there are lots of rescuers who have experience with cat reproduction.
That is the strength of this forum.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add, lots of breeders are involved in rescue, too; it's not either-or :)
And conversely, there are lots of rescuers who have experience with cat reproduction.
That is the strength of this forum.
Ahhh you make a great point. Thank you.

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are certain that you already know best, what exactly are you looking for here?

I'm not being either sarcastic or rhetorical. I'm genuinely asking what type of feedback you're seeking, because you state that you're having an issue but then you seem to feel extremely defensive about any feedback about what you could do differently.

So... what do you need from this forum?
You must of not read my previous response..I clearly said some breeders have okay methods, good, great, over the top...so on. The problem is the way someone assumes several things, and normally in a negative way. And here you are as a great example....to correct you...I NEVER said my ways are PERFECT. Thats why I'm here to ask questions but them I get hit with, can i afford it! You don't know how many cats i have. How long i owned animals. This person nor you know me at all yet jump to conclusions.

My point which seems to bother you, is RESPECT. Not everyone will do your way. Im not even going to start on some of the breeders method im against...why...because its not my place to tell them how to run their personal lives, that includes their cats.

I respectfully keep my comments to myself, if their is something i can help with, I be glad to do what I can. I helped my breeder on some info she didn't known that I did due to my endless questions and research. She has bred for over 10 years. I dont agree with some of her methods. Never told her. Because its NOT my place...some would call it cruel and some would claim its safety. So who is right? Both. Each of us have the right to raise our cats the way we please as long as we are not breaking any laws.

And as for wild animals. The reason why a wild animals life span is short in the wild is due to no aid. If they get sick, no one is there to help. But do they survive? Yes! Haven't been extinct yet. The number of wild cats have grow and is still growing! My point was to say they live luxury lives.

Breeding at 10 is the absolute minimum. It is ideal to breed at 12 months. This coming from a Vet. So should i tell my vet he is poorly educated and need some person from here to tell him cats need to be...what was it? 18 months! Thats great. But honestly, its not necessary. The cat won't die ( unless there is a complication which can happen to any aged cat) Why would you even put the poor cat to go through heat over and over and increase the chance for an infection. We all have vets. And the Vet is the most reliable source for making these decisions. So don't assume or cross the line. Answer questions and move on if you can't hold your tongue to input what has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Out of all the replys. Only 1 person gave input on my question. The rest was ridiculous and disrespectful to assume the least.

BlueDreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhh you make a great point. Thank you.
There you go assuming. Lol oh my god. Your absolutely a disrespect.

I been rescuing since i was old enough to talk. I have raise nb kittens without their mother. Kittens still with umbilical cord. Before you start assume. All 4 survive, the most Chunky happy kittens ever. No mama cat to help. I never give up and I actually keep my animals alive. What do you think i am!? And go ahead and give me your assumptions, since im asking.
You think I have no experience right? Lol
No money?
If you knew me. Your response wouldn't have been different. Let me teach you something because im concerns for you....treat everyone with respect and try to be open to the idea that maybe, new breeder are NOT new to the knowledge of what it take to have animals, or that maybe new breeder have more than enough money. I mean, if someone can afford $3k to $5k kittensss. How wouldn't someone afford it!
Running a breeding program is not cheap obviously. No needs to add that to my thread! I started already. I take my cats to shows. Whoever assumed I didn't know the financial need, was wrong!
That alone shows how many of you are being a bully not supportive...and you guys don't even realize it. That sad. Jumping to conclusions is wrong.

Support and assumptions are to very different things.

Im tired of reading threads with this type of bullying behavior...only when breeding a pair of cats is involved. The drama starts.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm popping in to remind everyone that this is a community where we put the best interest of cats first.

It can be hard to tell with new members who knows what about cats. I've seen countless threads where someone asked question A and another member added input about topic B which turned out to be highly relevant to the situation and unknown to the original poster.

With that in mind, please let's try not to take these replies the wrong way. If there's a topic someone doesn't want to get any feedback on, the best thing to do is to avoid mentioning it in a forum to begin with :) At the same time, let's try to keep threads on topic too.

Above all, please let's keep discussions civil. And remember, if you see an issue with a reply, just flag it instead of replying.

Thank you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All anyone did here BlueDreams BlueDreams is ask questions. We don't know anything about you, which is why we all asked questions, so we can learn and better help you. You are the only person getting worked up over anything. No one meant any offense. We are just trying to discuss. If your question was answered satisfactorily then you don't have to keep replying.

And I didn't assume anything about breeders vs rescue, I just failed to say "and everyone in between". I have worked with rescues for years and I know many breeders as well, and I know some who do both. I am sorry for my lack of better wording there. But please calm down. All anyone wants to do is help.