New Bottle Baby Mom Need Help With Poo Questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Khaleesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't change the formula. Add a few drops of oil to each bottle for now. I don't think you need to worry about an enema yet. You can also get glycerin suppositories for infants and shave off a small piece. Inserting that should help the kitten to go.
Okay I won't change it...So if I just use regular olive oil it would be ok? I also have the suppositories, so I'm good to go when and if I need to!

Khaleesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't change the formula. Add a few drops of oil to each bottle for now. I don't think you need to worry about an enema yet. You can also get glycerin suppositories for infants and shave off a small piece. Inserting that should help the kitten to go.
WE HAVE POO! I put a few drops of the oil and together we held on for dear life and got two small sized logs that were obviously constipation but it's a beginning and atleast something is coming. Thank you thank you thank you! I did all that you said from the warm running water earlier to the oil and you are an angel! Thanks for walking
Me thru!

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that powdered KMR seems to plug their little butts right up. I had the same problem with my baby and these lovely folks were able to help me out as well. She seemed chronically constipated as long as she was on it and if I didn't add a few drops of olive oil to every bottle, she couldn't go. She would also only poop once every two days or so, so don't be alarmed if this becomes the norm while you're feeding him from the powder.

There's hope, though! When my girl got older and was weaned off the formula, her stools normalized. This should be the case with your guy as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The powdered KMR is usually reliable, but its not the same success for everyone. Cats are not automatos. Sometimes you must use tricks; as adding some olive oil, or even change the kmr to another brand.

Goats milk may be an alternative.

I remember our kitten rescue expert @catwoman707 who is a great partisan and a true maestro of the powdered KMR, mentioned if she occasionally must change, she usually tries with goats milk instead...

Khaleesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, that powdered KMR seems to plug their little butts right up. I had the same problem with my baby and these lovely folks were able to help me out as well. She seemed chronically constipated as long as she was on it and if I didn't add a few drops of olive oil to every bottle, she couldn't go. She would also only poop once every two days or so, so don't be alarmed if this becomes the norm while you're feeding him from the powder.

There's hope, though! When my girl got older and was weaned off the formula, her stools normalized. This should be the case with your guy as well.[/QU
I appreciate the info! Yes, I am wondering if I should just continue with the drops since I don't want him to be miserable for one minute. And knowing that he can NOT go for a few days without concern is a relief for me as well since I'm the queen of "freakout"!

Khaleesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can keep using a few drops of oil per bottle for now.
This poor baby was packing some rock hard poo in there...the good news is I'm getting a few out with every feeding and it looks like when he went back to his bed he got a few more out. I used a light blanket so I could see if he had been doing anything. With his last feeding he went a lot more and it looked like it was a softer consistency...I can't believe I'm talking so much about poo hahaha but I am so relieved. I for sure would've been at the vet the next day spending a ton, but I would rather donate to this site to show MY SUPPORT!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I talk about cat poop and cat nipples (I have had a lot of pregnant rescues) more than I care to mention. LOL!

Khaleesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I talk about cat poop and cat nipples (I have had a lot of pregnant rescues) more than I care to mention. LOL!
I started fostering about a year ago and have had nobody to talk about poop, nipples, poop color, consistency, formula or any of the fun stuff so I am GLAD to meet ya lol! Aren't they just amazing creatures though?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Success! I tried the olive oil and the warm water tricks, but they didn't work with Sarah Jane. I'm so glad they work with your kitten!