New born kittens tangled to placenta

flavava3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to her first litter of 5 kittens under my bed last night, I helped her with the last 2 babies making sure she was okay and the babies were okay. I saw her chewing chords and them huddling her so I thought all was well and went back to sleep on the floor. This morning I wake up to cries and I see that somehow they’ve all gotten tangled to a placenta that I guess she didn’t eat. I managed to undo the tangle a little bit. But they move a lot and are probably undoing all my work. There is a leg stuck in there, and a lot of chords. I cannot cut the chords because there’s not enough Chord itself, they are in pain I think and I’m super anxious about this. It’s been about 20 hours since birth and she has tried to lick at it a few times but goes to sleep eventually. They’re all so tightly intertwined that I can’t move one without hurting another. I can’t go to a vet for a few reasons but that’s not important. Please help me! Am I anxious for no reason? She is a first time mom and I can tell she’s a bit overwhelmed but wants to help her babies, she just doesn’t know how. They’re fed and warm

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that somehow they’ve all gotten tangled to a placenta that I guess she didn’t eat. I managed to undo the tangle a little bit. But they move a lot and are probably undoing all my work. There is a leg stuck in there, and a lot of chords. I cannot cut the chords because there’s not enough Chord itself, they are in pain I think and I’m super anxious about this. It’s been about 20 hours since birth and she has tried to lick at it a few times but goes to sleep eventually. They’re all so tightly intertwined that I can’t move one without hurting another. I can’t go to a vet for a few reasons but that’s not important. Please help me! Am I anxious for no reason? She is a first time mom and I can tell she’s a bit overwhelmed but wants to help her babies, she just doesn’t know how. They’re fed and warm
flavava3 flavava3 ...I don't think I will be able to help, with actual instructions...but can you read some of these other threads...where they describe how they untangled the cords...and pinched them, or tied them, and then cut them:
Case Report: Tangled Newborn Kittens
My Cat Just Had 6 Kittens(1st Litter) Afterbirth Attached To Cord On 4

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles
I don't know what to do about umbilical cords being tangled and can't afford a vet.

Is there any way that you can separate them slightly, to use 'needle nose pliers' to pinch the cords, tie the cord,..and then cut the cords off...about a inch away from the kitten?
I know you probably need four hands to do this, but if you can try your best.
Just do it slowly, keep calm, breathe, and gently move the cords away.

Is the kitten pile..similar to the photo...in the first link, above,...where they are so tightly wrapped.
Sending you loads of Luck. You can do this.

StefanZ StefanZ ...and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ...all live in different time zones..so they might not see this thread...until morning.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The advice above is good and I feel the videos will help a lot! BE SURE when moving the babies that you don’t pull the umbilical from the belly and all should be well. You can do this. Tying off or using a plastic clip , as in the video, should work. Make sure you place the plastic clip so it is right on the cord. It may seem intimidating but if you cannot take them to a vet and mom is too exhausted or too inexperienced to do this, you can help. You may need to give mom a little extra nutrition too. KMR is a good way to help her regain some strength. Protein food like kitten food can help too. Wet food is best to help hydrate too. Make sure the babies are staying close to mom to stay warm and nurse. Please do keep updating us. More help will be coming but ask questions any time you feel the need. Sending you, mom and babies lots of warm purrs and love. Happy Birthday little ones!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The blood flow has stopped now, so to try to cut off shouldnt be any danger for free flowing blood... So NOW you can even use sharp scissors if necessary. (normally we recommend blunt scissors or your own clean fingernails). Be patient, cut off a bit at a time if need be... Many small steps till you are done. flavava3 flavava3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pray while you do this! It helps! If it literally helps in a miracoulosly way, may be discussed, but it helps YOU to relax, to find strengh and patience.... It works so for me, when Im despaired and feel empty...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flavava3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone thank you for trying to help. Mama cat was getting a bit distressed with me touching the kittens trying to work the tangle so I called a vet and she told me the placenta should eventually crumble and they should be fine so I trusted mama cat to keep them safe. I woke up this morning to one rejected kitty who was weak and away from his sibling, he didn’t have any umbilical attached to him so I’m thinking his chord may have ripped too close to the naval, I immediately put him on a heating pad and my boyfriend ran to the store for KMV and some syringes but unfortunately the poor stopped breathing right before he got back.I’m devastated but happy I still have four healthy babies. But there is a smell coming from Jazmynes ( mama cat ) vagina. It smells kinda like dead fish but not overwhelming . So I’m worried about that. Please tell me if that is not normal

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi everyone thank you for trying to help. Mama cat was getting a bit distressed with me touching the kittens trying to work the tangle so I called a vet and she told me the placenta should eventually crumble and they should be fine so I trusted mama cat to keep them safe. I woke up this morning to one rejected kitty who was weak and away from his sibling, he didn’t have any umbilical attached to him so I’m thinking his chord may have ripped too close to the naval, I immediately put him on a heating pad and my boyfriend ran to the store for KMV and some syringes but unfortunately the poor stopped breathing right before he got back.I’m devastated but happy I still have four healthy babies. But there is a smell coming from Jazmynes ( mama cat ) vagina. It smells kinda like dead fish but not overwhelming . So I’m worried about that. Please tell me if that is not normal
Had you told this vet about this smell? Its potentially worrying. There may be a need of antibiotics.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom has a vaginal infection and needs antibiotics.

Are the kittens separated now?

flavava3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had you told this vet about this smell? Its potentially worrying. There may be a need of antibiotics.
As soon as my next check comes in I plan on taking her to the vet. I obviously want to treat this immediately but realistically that can’t happen, how long is too long? Other than the smell she is perfectly fine.

flavava3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom has a vaginal infection and needs antibiotics.

Are the kittens separated now?
No :( not fully separated but I can’t do much to help anymore

flavava3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE- I went to the vet with mama and her kittens, 2 had to be put down due to rejection and one of them had a leg bone popping out pretty badly. The vet said it most likely happened during birth. But mama is healthy, the smell coming from her nether region doesn’t mean infection, it’s just her discharge. and we have 2 healthy untangled baby kittens at home happy to be with mama:)