new born kitten help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I missed the "call" early on in this thread but I see you have great advice from @StefanZ  !!

I would like to give my input.

Your baby started out very small, high risk for sure.

Very fragile state for a well nursing baby, but you don't have that.

I have to say what you stated above is not okay. 2 days at 2.3 ounces is critically dangerous.

My opinion and what I would do in your situation, is fully feed the baby, it will not lose interest in nursing from mom, if nothing else for comfort.

But this is extremely urgent that you get more into the baby asap.

2 mls every 2 hours, as the weight goes up, it will increase to 3 mls per 2 hours. This baby will fail if things don't change NOW.

Baby is far behind in nutrition and growth, the birth weight of 2.6 should now have increased to approx. 3.10 or more now.

That's a lot considering how small we are talking here.

It is getting barely enough to get by, but very, very soon it will all catch up and you may very well lose it.

So don't worry about lack of nursing, once you get some strength and growth going in a positive direction the baby will nurse more and more.

Edit-I just double checked and baby is close to 6 days old, so weight should be about 4 1/2 ounces. Even more critical.

Nearly a full week at less than birth weight, is no good. I can't stress this enough, you must increase intake right away.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jemma01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You say 2mls every 2 hours... Kitten has been on 1ml every hour for the past 24 hours so that's the same.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You say 2mls every 2 hours... Kitten has been on 1ml every hour for the past 24 hours so that's the same.
Yes, and it is apparently better than 0,4 ml every time. This 1ml did broke the negative tendency, but apparently there need to be even more.   Either by mom giving her extra or by you.

So, no slack because its not longer so catastrophal, but please proceed to fight on all out, encouraged and getting new strengh by  the promising changes.

@catwoman707

jemma01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been back to the vets today.. I thought she had a Fluid lump in her neck ... Apparently I'm over reacting and it's just her neck.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been back to the vets today.. I thought she had a Fluid lump in her neck ... Apparently I'm over reacting and it's just her neck.
Heeh, that's okay! Good that you are aware of everything!

Vets are very lax on newborn care. I have tried many years ago, several vets for help with newborns, but they just don't get it. 

I've had and saved SO many now that I haven't bothered taking any to a vet in years. 

For the most part baby's have basic needs that are pretty simple to handle. Proper and correct amt of appropriate formula, steady weight gain, pottying, warmth.

Sure, it's fine if you want to give 1ml every hour. That's just alot of work and time is all.

As baby gets stronger he/she will likely nurse better from mom too.

You should definitely have a weight gain today from yesterday!

Last edited:

jemma01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are now feeding 1.2mls per hour including the mums milk she suckles. I would say all together we are getting close to 2mls per hour.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We are now feeding 1.2mls per hour including the mums milk she suckles. I would say all together we are getting close to 2mls per hour.
Arent we being a real  "Stachanowietz" as they said in the old Soviet!   - a hero worker breaking records!    :)

jemma01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the kitten passed away today... She was doing so well but the vet seems to think she may have had an underlying problem.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oy, gewalt.  Tought for you.  Tought for me too, my healing prayers not helping well enough either.  Tough for all others whom held thumbs and send vibes...

Im deeply sorry.  RIP little one, Skyes child.

Be sweet to Skye, she is surely mourning she too.  Be sure she sees when you take away the body.

Warm hugs!

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :( I'm so sorry for your loss.. May the little one Rest in Peace 

Status
Not open for further replies.