new born kitten care, need help fast. ..

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looks like a lot of help and advice has been given since this morning (my time)!! This is why I love this site - awesome people helping in emergency situations!

Keep us updated! :) :vibes: :vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Congrats on saving this little baby- a cutie too!  I have had very good success with goats milk for newborn squirrels and our bunny from 1 week of age.  This can be found at any pet store as puppy formula.
This goat milk "puppy formula"   is it a common, full fat goat milk, or has it been changed in any way, do you know this?

catsnip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is called:;) GNC ultra mega premium milk replacer goat's milk powder. It is available at petsmart.com where you can read the label.

crude protein min 33%, crude fat min 40%, 0% crude fiber. There are vitamins added.

;)

catsnip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at it one more time and it does say made with natural whole goats milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I looked at it one more time and it does say made with natural whole goats milk.
I see.  GNC makes good kmr, and its often based on goat milk, so I guess this product should be OK.  Tx for the tip.

I suspect this should be diluted some extra with water, but not much extra - compared with what is suggested on the label.

We had another thread not far ago, from Malaysia, where the TS managed to find two different  goat milk powders; one made for puppies, and one made for kittens.   And they did differed!

Both were supposed to be made on whole goat milk powder from Holland.  The basic product I suppose was good.  But apparently they did made some changes during the end production.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuitman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone ,

she looks fine ,i'm feeding her every 2-3 hours with syringe , it takes a while until she finishs the amount i'm giving her (about 3-2 ml)but i'm patient ,

about the milk ,i'll try to get my hands on some kinda puppy formula .... and maybe little bottle too .

biscuitman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nora1 is right ,,, people here are awesome !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

hi everyone ,

she looks fine ,i'm feeding her every 2-3 hours with syringe , it takes a while until she finishs the amount i'm giving her (about 3-2 ml)but i'm patient ,

about the milk ,i'll try to get my hands on some kinda puppy formula .... and maybe little bottle too .
Try to get kitten formula if you can, not puppy.

Or if it is for puppies, I suspect you must  have some extra water to dilute it a little extra.

Last edited:

biscuitman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'll to get kitten formula then ...if i cant find kitten formula , i'll buy puppy formula and dilute it little with water like you've said.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a choice between powder kmr and liquid kmr choose the powder. Mix up only what you will use for a few feedings. Refrigerate the now liquid portion and reheat by standing the jar in a container of warm water. I think the powder is supposed to be refrigerated once open too.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi everyone ,
You're doing an awesome job!! That kitty is very lucky you found her/him! :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i'll to get kitten formula then ...if i cant find kitten formula , i'll buy puppy formula and dilute it little with water like you've said.
So good to hear she is still alive and hanging in there so far! Great job for a beginner!!  

It's extremely important to find milk formulated for baby kittens, dogs and cats have VERY different nutritional needs, and now and for her next few weeks, especially this first week is going to be the fastest growth period EVER. She should double in weight in just the first week alone.

Next move which is equally important is a scale. It's the only way to monitor the proper amt and needs to weigh ounces and grams, so see about getting or even borrowing one asap.

Get her exact weight and post it here, so we can advise you on the correct amt to feed daily.

We must see a weight gain of a minimum of 8 grams, hopefully more. It only takes a couple days of not gaining enough for her tiny body to not thrive, and can very quickly turn and head downhill, which is hard to make her turn around again.

Are you pottying her after you feed each time?

She can not control this yet, not until she is approx 3 weeks old, as well as her body temp.

catsnip

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Biscuitman!

How is that lttle one?  Would love to see some pics and do we have a name?

dianac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get that kitten to a vet ASAP to avoid any possible complications with the placenta, infections, incorrect care, etc.

dianac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is the kitten who had the placenta still attached? Has she been to the vet? I'm really interested in hearing how everything turns out. Thanks.