New Born Baby Kitten Found With Placenta Attached! Help!!!

Modmomma1210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need y’alls help!!! My mother was leaving for church this morning and saw something weird in her driveway down along the other side off in the distance she said she didn’t think much of it and left (. She lives out in the country with a wrap around driveway that leads up to the woods for wood). When she returned home from church she still saw something off in the distance so she decided to check it out turns out it’s a new born kitten with placenta still attached. And y’all I need help to know what to do. We brought it in the garage. Put it in a box with blankets and towels and put a tube sock of rice warmed up next to it. I need to know what to do next best kmr to give it, I know you can’t do lactose so where so I get a replacement without milk in it etc. would any goats milk work? Also how exactly do I get the placenta off ?? I feel so bad for this sweet baby!!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tie off the umbilical cord with dental floss, then cut it after a few minutes. Or it may be dry eniugh now to cut it without the floss. Make sure the scissors are disinfected first.

Walmart sells kitten formula, premade and powdered, plus bottles. I find that a medicine dropper is easier to use than a bottle, you can find those in the baby section.

Newborns are hard. Ask your friends to see if anyone has a new mama cat who might be willing to adopt another baby.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've gotten great advice!! I sure hope it helps. In regards to the umbilical cord, it is my understanding that you can leave it intact for a while. I have learned through others who know much more about this than me, that the cord and related tissue can actually help sustain, nutritionally, a newborn kitten for days if necessary.

See if there are any tips and help in this web site: Kitten-Rescue.com (one of the same that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided - it is very good!). They have a wealth of information that might be of benefit to you.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for saving this little guy.
Be prepared to feed this kitten with a bottle (or an eye dropper), round the clock, every 2 hours or so. This is a big job and doesn't last forever, but they can't go 8-9 hours without food while you sleep or go to work at this age.
Do you have a local shelter or a good rescue group anywhere near by? They may have volunteers that have experience raising newborn kittens and would be willing to help you out.
Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Modmomma1210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As of right now we have had no luck finding it somewhere to take care of it. We tried a nursing momma cat and she wanted nothing to do with it. I have been feeding it every two hrs and have two rice filled tube socks with to keep it warm in between feedings. Sweet little thing seems to be eating pretty well though.

Eva Fitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay whatever you do don't cut the umbilical cord. If u cut it wrong then it can harm the kitten. Also google the closest animal hospital or 24/7 vets. Keep the kitten warm and safe don’t try and feed it or give it food Incase it needs surgery or certain medical procedures as it can cause complications. Hope the kitten pulls through

Last edited by a moderator:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I beg you - do not withhold food. Feed the kitten! Tiny new kitten has tiny little stomach. They need to be fed every two to three hours around the clock, 8 to 12 feedings in 24 hours.

You don't know when you can find a veterinarian who will even examine the kitten. I urge you do not withhold food on that kind of maybe you will / maybe won't get an appointment, let alone any kind of help.

I seriously doubt you will find a veterinarian willing (let's not talk about capable) to perform surgery on a new born kitten. The likely response to any critical issue that would require surgery will be euthanasia.

Please, feed the kitten.

And do let us know how things are going.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay whatever you do don't cut the umbilical cord. If u cut it wrong then it can harm the kitten. Also google the closest animal hospital or 24/7 vets. Keep the kitten warm and safe don’t try and feed it or give it food Incase it needs surgery or certain medical procedures as it can cause complications. Hope the kitten pulls through
Sorry, but this is bad advice. Please follow the earlier advice from other members who have years of experience caring for newborns. You sound like you're doing well so far!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember kittens have to be 'stimulated' to go the bathroom with a warm wet wash cloth several times day. One of teh best videos I have seen that tells how to take care of a newborn is with who is called the Kitten Lady. Google that and Hannah Shaw, her name. Bless you for trying to help.....

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tie off the umbilical cord with dental floss, then cut it after a few minutes. Or it may be dry eniugh now to cut it without the floss. Make sure the scissors are disinfected first.
I'm assuming this kitten's cord has been cut already, but for future reference, if your hands and nails are clean, it's actually fine to simply pinch the umbilical cord with your fingers, and shred/cut the cord with your nails. The pinching motion of your fingers seals the end of the cord, so you don't need to tie it. Approximately an inch away from the kitten's body is good. You don't need sterile equipment, just clean hands... normally mom would chew the cord, and her mouth is not sterile. Personally I feel safer using my fingers, compared to using a scissors near a squirming kitten.

I agree that the "kitten lady" is a good resource for newborn kitten care. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In regards to the umbilical cord, it is my understanding that you can leave it intact for a while. I have learned through others who know much more about this than me, that the cord and related tissue can actually help sustain, nutritionally, a newborn kitten for days if necessary.
After a kitten is born, blood stops moving through the cord, and the placenta is no longer providing nutrition to the kitten. It is just inert tissue at that point, and if left in the nest with the kitten it will start to decay. Although it's generally not harmful to the kitten to have the placenta attached for a short while (because nothing is moving through the cord), it's preferable to cut the cord and remove the placenta when you can.

Modmomma1210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for all the advice. We removed the placenta yesterday around 4pm, The little thing seems to be eating well. I’ve never had to do anything like this so it’s all new to me. Was up every two hrs last night feeding it and then wiping it’s bottom to stimulate it to go potty. It pees every time but has yet to poo, Is this normal? Ive kept two rice filled tube socks in with it and heat them back up every feeding and kept a space heater in the room we have it’s box set up in, ( yes running a space heater when’s it’s 90 degrees outside here is insane but I wanted to make sure the kitty stayed warm as it’s cooler in my house) I’ve called serval places today and no one is willing to take the kitty. I’m not sure what else to do, as I’m a single mom of two young kids and I work so trying to figure out what to do next has been very hard but I want to give this sweet baby a fighting chance. Thank you again for all the advice and please keep it coming, you all are amazing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this kitten. Who will feed the baby every 2 hours while you are at work?

It’s okay if the kitten has not pooped yet. Good it is eating well! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, even if you can't find anyone else, it's only a few weeks of round-the-clock feedings. It gets better.

Can your mom feed the kitty during the day? Or does she work during the day too?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past I've taken baby kittens to the office with me if they needed 2 hour feedings, but this might not be possible at your workplace.

Modmomma1210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone ever tried or have advice on finding a nursing mama cat to adopt the kitty for a couple of weeks? I have a friend who just offered for me to bring the kitten over to her house to try to see if her mama cat would nurse the kitty. And quick update the little kitty had its first bowel movement yay!!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yess:

You could try taking a soft cloth and gently rubbing that on the mama and her kittens, then rubbing it on your baby to transfer smells. :crossfingers: