New Baby Ferals

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the shelter have a plan for her? TNR'd to where she was trapped?

In my group we start transitioning the kittens to food when they start to eat moms food. So at 8 weeks old, you must separate the kids from her, so she can dry up and get spayed.

This part is always sad to me, I never get used to this no matter how many times I've done it :(

Then when she is dry, about 10 days later she is good to be fixed and returned.

Your question about the male outside, she is very likely in heat, yes!

As for cleaning the cage, oh by the way, your set-up is great, a few things you can do, either wear a glove and quickly close/latch the door, or use a stick or something to close it, holding it closed and put a towel over the front including the latch and latch it through the towel to protect your hand. If you use your hand, always keep your hand low, it's much less of a threat to her than a hand coming right towards her.

I always feel sad for the ferals too, they have such an unfair life. Deep inside they are the very same as the kitties we all have snuggling in bed with us at night, they just don't know that people are good. They all need love, a name, a place they feel safe, babying when they are hurt, a place in this world and a feeling they belong and not seen as a pest/nuisance, not trash or desposable.

Very sad to me.

Your question about how to not adopt your favorite kitten?? Haha, well now, it's like this, you can adopt your fave, why not? Or if you are like me and already have resident cats who are not ok with a newbie, or just don't need yet another, remember this-if you fill your home with cats you fostered, then it takes up room for the next cat or kittens you can foster.

Believe me, I love each and every one of mine, 100's have come to me, ferals, old, tame, babies, kittens, orphaned, may, many who I pulled from being euthanized, and each time one of them leaves, a piece of my heart goes with them, leaving a hole inside of my heart, to be filled up with the next one who needs me, and so on.

I remember all of them. I hope they remember me. It's sad to let go, but it passes for the next in line. There's sooo many who need help.

That's what us cat angels are for :)

Fee free to ask anything!
My way of not keeping my favorite? I did! I chose one from my very first litter and she is so amazing, it makes it 100x easier to let all the others go. It also helps that I know where each and every kitten goes is the best place for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly, little Kinder passed away last night (the cream kitten on the bottom right of the family picture).

They are three weeks old today.

I found him this morning alongside his mama and I knew right away.  As I gently nudged him out of the nest, mama wrapped her arm around him in a final hug good-bye and then she let him go without a word.

She was certainly in mourning afterwards as she would not get out of  the nest to check on the other three kittens and they would not go into the nest.  I think the kittens did not go into the nest for they knew their deceased brother 'was' in there.  What do you think?

It was looking like I would have to start KMR this afternoon, but after I had to fairly forcefully put them into the nest they went nuts for Mum and nursed like crazy.

I have sent stool samples of mom and kinder to check for giardia or other parasites.

So sad :(

lindz2785

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sad.. I'm so sorry that you lost little Kinder. He was so sweet and looked a lot like one of my previous fosters, Finn. Kimbra's reaction brings tears to my eyes.. I'm glad she let him go without a fight.

I lost two kittens from my current litter to coccidia when they were 4 weeks old. I can imagine how much harder it is for you because you aren't able to hold them and check on them often as I'm able to with my kittens and their non-feral mama. I KNEW that my two kittens were ill and fought for an entire week trying to save them but they still passed away. :( As hard as it is for me to admit.. I think my efforts only prolonged their death and for that I feel very sad. But I had to do everything in my power to try to save them, in the chance that they did survive.

Anyways.. I'm glad you were able to send off mama's stool sample to see if there's any parasites or anything. Keep us posted on what happens.. Sending positive vibes your way!!

Last edited:

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry about Kinder. Was he the runt?

We lost the runt of a litter a little while ago to Kitten Fading Syndrome. Sometimes they just aren't born with what it takes to live :(