New baby coming - should we continue to let cats sleep with us?!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm due with our first baby in Dec (
)

At the moment we let all 4 cats have free range in the bedroom.  (we keep the door open so they can come in and out)

I plan to have the baby sleep by my bed in a bassinet or rock n' play sleeper.  I'm a little worried about the kitties jumping up and knocking it over or smothering the baby.

My husband thinks this is silly and we should keep the routine as is.

I'm suggesting we start getting them used to being locked out of the bedroom now.  The big risk (besides that we'd miss sleeping with them!) is that they may scratch at the door and cry all night!  (we've experienced this before when they've been accidently locked out)

I'd love to hear some stories about how people made nighttime routine work with cats and a baby in the bedroom!

I've heard cats mostly ignore babies, which I hope is true!

On my babycenter forum I'm getting a lot of responses that are freaking me out about how cat could definitely suffocate baby and it's not worth to risk and I should lock them out.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, all that stuff about cats smothering or sucking the breath out of babies is just absolute nonsense. Please don't pay any attention to it. Your cats are much more likely to actively avoid the baby for quite some time, since it's loud and strange and smells weird to them. :lol3:

I highly doubt your cats will want to jump into the crib with your baby, but if you're really worried about it want to deter them ahead of time before baby comes, when you get his/her crib, put bitter apple spray on the legs or put an Sssscat next to it. Then you can train them over the coming months to avoid the crib -- but not the bed. That way when baby comes everyone is happy. :nod:

Finally -- CONGRATULATIONS! :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 small kiddos.  DH is allergic to cats so our 2 have never been allowed to sleep with us.  I do keep them from our kid's bedrooms at night.  I don't think they would jump in the crib with my 2 year old; but I dont want to risk it with my baby.  I have found them in the bassinet, crib and pack and play.  Never in the rock & play. 

I keep our bedroom door shut all the time and the baby's as well.  I leave my 2 year olds open during the day and they sleep under her bed.  I used to worry about them waking her if they got stuck in there too.  They've learned to run out when I put her down for naps or in bed.  Plus she doesn't wake from that stuff as easily as she used to. 

I think what to do is going to depend on your cats.  Some will curl up with babies (possibly a SIDS risk more than anything) and some, like mine, don't give 2 hoots about them till they are mobile...and then they run. 
  The most mine do with the baby is sniff him and sit in my lap while I feed him.  (It's cozy..lol)  But I also dont want the baby's bedding to get hair on it.  Or if there is litter in their paws...  Or for them to wake him!

I still go on a baby forum for information but over the years I've learned that you have to look at the responses with an arms length.  Especially when it's pregnant or new moms you are talking to.  EVERYONE is hormonal whether they realize it or not.  But at the end of the day you are the parents so it's up to you and you have to decide what makes you comfortable.  If you are going to loose sleep worrying the cat might join the baby for a precious snooze...then I'd say go ahead and transition them out of your room now.  Or play it by ear.  You can always change things if they aren't working.  Doing things to help you cats adjust to the baby now (like playing recordings of a baby crying) and keeping them out of baby things now will help. 

Congratulations and good luck!

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny you mention SIDS, MoochNNoodles... I remember reading somewhere that SIDS is now considered by some to be the root of all those cat breath stealing/baby smothering myths. :nod:

Curious kitty is seen going up to sniff at the new baby... Baby is suddenly dead for seemingly no reason... Kitty stole baby's breath during the night. That kind of thing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny you mention SIDS, MoochNNoodles... I remember reading somewhere that SIDS is now considered by some to be the root of all those cat breath stealing/baby smothering myths.

Curious kitty is seen going up to sniff at the new baby... Baby is suddenly dead for seemingly no reason... Kitty stole baby's breath during the night. That kind of thing.
It could be.  They are all about the same size; so if a cat did curl up against the baby the baby might have a hard time turning away.  Especially back when babies were put to sleep on their stomachs.  And now they want nothing in the crib with the baby at all.  I use the mesh, breathable bumpers.  I do have a frog that puts stars on the ceiling in DS's crib but it's got a hard shell on it so it's not something I'm too concerned about like a typical plush toy.

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kids are 7, 5 and 3, and all slept in our room with the cats for months with no issue. My kitties really did ignore the baby, other than a few curious sniffs at first, and occasionally get scared when they cried. I never found them in the bassinet and they didn't sleep on the bed when the baby was young anyway. They knew their place, really, and started sleeping on the sofa and under my bed by choice. I think the noise and interrupted nights annoyed them at first, so they found quieter places to sleep. It's very unlikely you will need to make any changes, but do try to give them a few uninterrupted minutes of attention once the baby arrives so they don't feel misplaced.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your upcoming motherhood! It's a wild ride so hang on. My advice: stay cautious and paranoid, talk to the baby's doctor often, especially any time you feel concerned for your baby. Trust those instincts, if something doesn't seem right, it's not, so call your pediatrician or doctor. (They are used to new parents calling a lot so don't worry about that, better than taking a risk with your baby's health.) 

That said, take it one day at a time and it all works out fine. It's good to plan for some "what ifs" as long as we realize they may never become a real problem. In other words, don't worry too much, you'll figure out what to do, day by day, whenever a problem crops up.

My mother bought us a "crib tent" when I was pregnant because she was scared of our cats jumping in the crib with the baby. We never used it, our cats wanted NOTHING to do with the baby and gave her wide berth, lol. When your baby gets older, you show him or her how to show respect for the animals and everybody gets along just fine. Hope you post pictures in December!

Last edited:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations. 

I just had my first baby 2 weeks ago. She isn't home yet (she was premature and is in the NICU) but I do not plan on changing anything unless I need to. Baby will sleep in a bassinet beside my bed and pets will still be allowed in the room. If it becomes a problem, then I will start locking them out at night.