New baby coming - adjusting cats?

carla1183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted here since our furbabies were tiny (they're 2 now!), but I'd love some advice from "cat people"
Lots of non-cat-people are giving us terrible advice and I want to make sure we're doing the right thing for our baby AND our furbabies.

I'm pregnant with our first baby in June.
One major chnage we're making before the baby comes is to move the litter box. They're currently in an extra bedroom that we are making into a guestroom (the current guestroom will be our nursery). There will be people staying with us after the baby comes, so we need that room litterbox free!
The plan is to build a big "cat box" in the garage with a little doggie door going from an inside wall in the house directly into the box. Hoping to get this built in February and then have litter boxes in both places for a little while to help them adjust to it moving.
Second major change - The room with their litter box has always been their "safe room" where we put them when we brought them home the first time. There is an old couch in there that they hide in when they get scared of something (usually just if we have big crowds at our house). We're having to get rid of that when we move the guest furniture in there. Again, we'll do it several months before the baby gets here so it's not part of that same adjustment.

Lastly - we'll have the baby in our room for the first month or two in a basinett. The cats sleep in bed with us. Would you be worried about the cats trying to get into the basinett while we're asleep and suffocating the baby? I really don't want to lock them out of our bedroom at night if I can help it, they're used to following us from room to room.

Any advice on making these changes the best way for them? They've always been super sweet and mild mannered, never had a single day of trouble from them. I don't want them to change when i turn their worlds upside down!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome back to the site!

Congratulations on your pregnancy as well

I have a 22 month old and another baby on the way for April myself.

I know what you mean about non cat lovers and their "advice"

After our daughter was born, my husband brought back one of the blankets that she was wrapped in at the hospital to get them used to her scent. After a day or 2 they were sleeping on it, and didn't seem to be too troubled by it.

We also had her in our room for the first month or 2 and we let the cats stay in there too (we found they didn't like the crying and usually stayed away) Our youngest cat Molly peeked into the bassinet once and that was as close as they came.

I think the real adjustment for the cats will come when your wee one become mobile and starts crawling or running after the cats
In the meantime, I suggest lots of loving for your furbabies to let them know they are still a big part of your family