New and Need help with UTI

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased to hear he is going fine now - rather puzzled by your vet saying he will be doing things like vomiting as well if he is blocked though. In the UK, we have tablets called Cystaid that help strengthen the lining of the bladder, they worked well for my foster, and he had to have mainly wet food, extra water and little stress - my vet prefers using Cystaid to prescription food.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

What is benazepril? What does it do? I'm just curious because I've never heard of it.

You and Humble will get used to the daily pill routine very quickly. Have a treat ready when you give him the pill and give him the treat as soon as he swallows the pill. That's what I do with Polly. She doesn't really like taking her pill, but she tolerates it.
It is a pill that keeps his kidneys functioning properly. In humans, it is used to treat high blood pressure, I believe. I pet him and love him after he takes the pill, and I believe "hiding" it in a little cheese helps. he didn't seem to mind as much today. He will have to do this for the rest of his life, as the doctor said the stones might come back. The Eukanuba Multi-Stage renal food is supposed to help as well. I am currently mixing it with a little "Little Friskies" food.

Dos Polly have to take her pill forever?

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb Riffel

I just got back from checking on him....more pee's!!! I am feeling better!! I let him out of the bathroom i had him locked in. He was excited to be out and get back to playing with his sister (the dog, Jaydah
He hasnt really pooped though, gosh, hope I dont have to start worrying about that! I am glad it is the weekend and I will be able to be home with him more to keep an eye on him. Hopefully our friend will come over again tonight and give MUrphy some more meds, or hopefully my husband will be able to do it.
I think things are looking up!!!!
I am praying for your sweet Murphy!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My persian had urinary problems. I swtiched him to Waltham's SO food (it's prescription and bought at the vets). I don't know what they put into that thing but it worked like a charm.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Dos Polly have to take her pill forever?
She is doing so well on amitriptylene and it doesn't have any side effects and is considered very safe, so she will probably just stay on it for life. Same for the cosaquen. You and Humble will get used to the nightly pill routine. Humble may not like it (Polly doesn't) but he will learn to put up with it, and he will still love you.