New and looking for answers

runawayundrwear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I found your site by googling different questions about my kitten Poe. So, here I am looking for answers of my own...

I got Poe as a kitten at 8-9weeks, he is now 5 months. I love him to death but he has started peeing on beds and clothes. I got him neutered about 2 weeks ago hoping this would help. Unfortunately, it has not :( Poe pees in puddles on my blanket, and my son's blankets only. He uses his litter box to pee and poop perfectly fine but urinates on our blankets still.

We have confined him to the laundry room while we are out of the house because of this. His litter box is in the laundry all the time and we clean it daily. Is there something else that could be going on? I've read it might be a UTI but I have to wait until tomorrow to make a vet appointment. When I got him neutered they told me it could be because he's reaching sexual maturity and that neutering may help. The first few days home he was fine and didn't pee anywhere but his litter box. The vet told me to do a UA would be $65, which is super expensive... I have never had a male kitten do this before so I'm completely lost here. It's frustrating and I don't really want to get rid of him but my fiance is getting really mad and he's on the verge of finding him another home. :(

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  Hopefully we can help you figure this out!  Inappropriate peeing problems are definitely some of the most frustrating!! 

The vet for a check is the best place to start.  If there is a physical reason for his inappropriate urinating; approaching it from a behavioral standpoint won't help. So I'm glad you've already got that set up and have already had him neutered.

What type of cleaner are you using?  You really need a good enzyme based cleaner (never bleach) to get ALL of the scent out; even the ones our noses may miss.  

Also what kind of litter box does he use?  it's possible as he is growing; his needs are changing.  Some cats need a separate box for urinating and defecating.  We used to have a LitterMaid box. After that broke we went to 2 high sided boxes. They are in our laundry room also and I have watched one of our cats go from one box to the other to finish her business.  This was within days of switching to the new boxes from the LitterMaid.

What type of litter are you using?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles has given you some great advice. These articles may help too:-[article="32366"][/article][article="32341"][/article][article="32493"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runawayundrwear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I honestly have no idea what brand of litter box I have... it's just what I grabbed at the pet store the day I got him :/ I'm using Tidy Cats litter. I called the vet but am unable to get in until Monday. He seems fine physically, doesn't seem to be in pain. I palpated his tummy and such and it didn't bother him. I'm really thinking it's behavioral but I don't want to risk it so I made an appointment.

I work in the medical field and have UA strips, would human ones work for cats?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in the medical field and have UA strips, would human ones work for cats?
Ketostix, KetoDiastix MultiSitx, or similar product? They can be used with cats. Diabetic cat owners often use KetoStix to check their cat for ketones. I'm not sure how accurate the strip will read for a general urine reading. Cat urine is pretty alkaline while Human urine is more acidic. It's best to have the vet do the urinalysis and run the sample through the pet calibrated equipment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runawayundrwear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is an uncovered box. It has an attachable lid that just makes the sides a tad higher. I keep the litter about 2-3 inches deep.