new adopted stray sleeps ALL day...

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing well. Bless you for taking him in. The sleeping is normal. I was taking care of a stray for 2 years before I got him inside. He had 2 shelters, one was heated for the winter, and alot of places to sleep and hide. But when I finally brought him home he slept for 2 days! He would get up when I fed him in the morning and then crawl right back into his bed. He only got up to use the litter box. Now he is fine. I think he just felt safe enough to sleep soundly.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be Thanksgiving Dinner Effect. Humans get drowsy after larger-than-usual meals (like Thanksgiving dinner)...well, for a stray cat, any proper housecat meal is going to be larger than usual, which leads to needing time to relax and sleep it off. If it's that, it should clear up as his system adapts to having enough food.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's inside with you! This is the kitty that showed up in like.... well - earlier in the year right?

Everyone's already said what I would - he just needs the rest, poor fella.

I'm glad your resident kitty doesn't seem too upset.
it continues to go well. And you have a little dog too, right? Hope that goes well as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW - thanks so much again for all the support and well wishing

Hes still sleeping alot - and last night slept ALL night IN my bed. I had to keep my other cat and my dog out though... just to let him rest - cause they also sleep there and didnt want to cause an issue so soon.

My dog does jump at him from time to time... but i know she just wants to play - the cat will have to get used to that. But he does hiss at her...

My resident cat has been slowly coming in the room - they just stare at each other - no sounds at all. Today as he was walking out of hte room - the new cat came out from my bed and started to follow. Im assuming this is all good....

Yes, I know for sure hes a stray- upsets me he had a home and was outside (for the worst winter EVER). I was going to bring him in then but didnt think it would work - until he was attacked and I had too.

And yes LDG this is the cat I wrote SOOO many posts about. He was gone for like 14 months and came back - im assuming thats probably when he had a home...

thanks again!!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking him in!
Be sure to give the resident kitty extra attention so no jealousy issues come up.

I'm looking forward to reading updates about Jack/Casper/Lazarus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah.. still dont have a name for him. Just keep calling him "buddy" but I really dont like it.

Theyve been doing well although my bf said buddy was crying this morning. I didnt get all the info - hopefully a door was shut - otherwise have no clue what to do if THAT continues.

He also chased my resident cat this morning a few times - one time he got caught in front of a wall and just hissed while buddy stood back a bit.

Im ASSUMING he was trying to play - I mean he didnt go after him to attack. but i really didnt understand WHAT he was doing.