New, Adopted Cat - Constant Hissing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timbertember

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I wonder....could she be picking up the scent of another animal?  She was fine with you when you met her, and only had a problem when you brought her home.  That suggests that it's something in the environment, not you, that initially upset her.  Are there outdoor cats marking around the building?  Or even dogs - I have a cat and people friendly kitten who will  hiss and spit at the mere whiff of dog. Did you have a pet before? Any toys left over?
I am inclined to say I don't think so, but I honestly don't know. I moved into a new apartment a week before I adopted her. The person before me could have owned a cat, but I'll never know that for sure since the apartment was cleaned before I moved in and the carpets were shampooed. I know people living around me have mostly dogs, but I live in a second floor apartment so unless they'd let the doors go up my front stairs to my door, they wouldn't have the opportunity to get near the apartment. The only thing I could think of is if the person who lived her before me had animals, though I'd think some of the smell would have dissipated because of cleanings. I think it is more like she was like ... WOAH NO
when she realized I wasn't taking her home to her foster mom. Good questions though!

timbertember

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They absolutely do come around 
(She was waiting for me to play in this picture. lol)

The only thing that worries me at the moment is she's been sneezing more frequently. Granted, she sneezed when I brought her home the first day. Occasionally I still hear her sneeze. When we play is when I hear her sound congested (like a stuffy, whistle-y nose) and she'll occasionally sound like she tries to clear her nose. I notice it most when we play though last night she sneezed a couple times (little puffs). Why I don't know if it will pass or not is because otherwise she seems fine -- she's eating, drinking, using her box, and loves to play! Unless the discharge is very clear, I can't notice any gunk at her eyes and nose nor do I see any crusting of gunk. It could be a variety of things and I'm not sure if it warrants a vet visit, especially since she's still so cautious of me, getting her in a carrier and/or getting medication in her would be HELL at this point in our just flowering relationship.
What do you believe? I have a thread over in cat health but no responses yet.

Last edited:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats need safe places, especially in a new environment they need to feel safe. Even a perfectly adjusted cat needs a tight place of her own, like a box or under the couch or on a high shelf. Why are you blocking her safe spots? I don't think that forcing her to stay out will help your relation.

As for the sneezing, until you get a diagnostic, try putting l-lysine in her food, twice a day, 250 mg each time. Even if it won't cure her, it will probably stop things from getting worse if she has an URI.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the sneezing, until you get a diagnostic, try putting l-lysine in her food, twice a day, 250 mg each time. Even if it won't cure her, it will probably stop things from getting worse if she has an URI.
I think the flare-up dosage is 500 mg twice a day, but 250 mg twice a day might still be helpful.

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the flare-up dosage is 500 mg twice a day, but 250 mg twice a day might still be helpful.
Yes, I hesitated between 250mg and 500 mg (twice a day), but as the kitten doesn't have a diagnostic and I think she wasn't on lysine before, I thought 250 mg twice a day is a good start.

So, my two herpesvirus kitties take 250 mg of lysine twice a day for maintainance, and I would give them 500 mg twice a day if they had a flare-up. Luckily, that hasn't happened in more than a year.

timbertember

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats need safe places, especially in a new environment they need to feel safe. Even a perfectly adjusted cat needs a tight place of her own, like a box or under the couch or on a high shelf. Why are you blocking her safe spots? I don't think that forcing her to stay out will help your relation.

She still has plenty of hiding spots (trust me). Plus there is conflicting advice on this topic -- many say give hiding spots, many say to decrease them over time; who knows what is appropriate. She still has plenty of hiding spots including the bed as well as little nooks and crannies. She has an appointment this evening with the vet as well. 

Last edited:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She still has plenty of hiding spots (trust me). Plus there is conflicting advice on this topic -- many say give hiding spots, many say to decrease them over time; who knows what is appropriate. She still has plenty of hiding spots including the bed as well as little nooks and crannies. She has an appointment this evening with the vet as well. 
Yes, I know there is conflicting advice. I was just wondering if you believe that blocking some of her hiding places will have positive results, or if, maybe, there is some sort of danger in her being there.

Right now, all my three brats are sleeping on the window sill, but they all have moments when they would rather stay out of sight. Amelie, my semi feral, especially feels safe under the bed or under the closet. When we vacuum, all three are under the bed. I always tell them that I think they are some sort of monsters, cause monsters stay under the bed.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with you 100% about blocking under the bed. Why would you want to take her safe haven away ftim her.
I'd also keep the cage around for her to get used to with the door open. Mine like to sleep in it. A part from all that you're doing really well. Don't get discouraged. After all you're not going to send her back are you

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

(She was waiting for me to play in this picture. lol)
Oh goodness IS SHE EVER DARLING !!!!!!!!!!!! And, listen, this IS HUGE progress. :clap: Look at her waiting for you to do something fun. :lol3:

I will check out your other thread but you could start her on L-Lysine. Definitely take her to the vet IF she stops eating, drinking and/or playing.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't get discouraged and  please give it some time, maybe a lot of time. I caught a feral at 7 months old back in November 2013 and just now I can pet her and she will come out when I go into the room. You have to understand they are scared. Also the kitten you have did have a home and now she has a different home. So she is scared.  She needs all the time and love you can give her. When you take in an animal you have to be able to deal with what ever happens and be there for them.  She will come around. Sit at her level, because standing up scares them if they aren't use to you. Hovering over them freaks them out.  I use to sit, read my book. I  placed the food closer to me to see if she would come and eat, but don't move. I went in and out and did whatever I had to do so she got use to me. And she hissed and was scared to death and hid however she could.  Mine was definitely feral but yours is just scared. She will be fine. Think about what just happened to her and put yourself in her shoes. (She was living in a foster home doing well and then someone came along and took her).That's a scary thought. When she finally realizes you aren't going to harm her she will do great. She hisses because she is scared. Mine use to hiss, spit and swing at me with her claws out. I think about how  far mine has come and how content she is now. She still has her safe haven in a little hut in the bathroom. We just started leaving the bathroom door open, and now she roams around at night. She is still a little scared because I have one cat that gives her a hard time. So during the day she stays in the bathroom and if the cat comes after her she goes into her hut. The other cat gets along with her, so at night they are together, and if something scares her she runs back into the bathroom. But eventually she will ween her way out of the bathroom. Its all on her terms, when ever she feels she is ready. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She stilal has plenty of hiding spots (trust me). Plus there is conflicting advice on this topic -- many say give hiding spots, many say to decrease them over time; who knows what is appropriate. She still has plenty of hiding spots including the bed as well as little nooks and crannies. She has an appointment this evening with the vet as well. 
In my opinion they should have as many hiding spots as possible including definitely her original hiding spot. Why upset her. She needs to know she's safe with you.
To be honest I've never had that problem. Out of the 8 cats ive had only 2 hid. One for a day and 2 month old from the street a bit longer but night time he slept in my room and days were spent 'inside' the couch. Now he's a massive cheeky boy.

hoshimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cute!  

Its great she was waiting for you when you got home, when they start wondering where their humans are, you are definitely making progress!!

All the advice you have been given is great... I wonder, have you tried hand feeding her, or spoon feeding her? This is a great way to re-enforce the association... my human = food & fun. Try giving her a little food on a spoon, something she really loves... if she doesn't want to take it you can always try waiting a little longer to put out her food a little next meal time and spoon feeding a treat before any goes in the bowl... if she'll take a treat from spoon or hand thats great and can only help!

One thing if you do this though, always pull away if she hisses or swats when you're hand feeding her, always!

...my tortie was very skittish when we first had her, and the hand feeding seemd to help the most, the first week didn't go very well, but when we started hand feeding things really spend up. Used to feed her a treat or two during play time as well, and quickly got to the point where she would allow a little petting while being fed.

Let us know how you're doing 

Hope all goes well
!!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cute!  

Its great she was waiting for you when you got home, when they start wondering where their humans are, you are definitely making progress!!

All the advice you have been given is great... I wonder, have you tried hand feeding her, or spoon feeding her? This is a great way to re-enforce the association... my human = food & fun. Try giving her a little food on a spoon, something she really loves... if she doesn't want to take it you can always try waiting a little longer to put out her food a little next meal time and spoon feeding a treat before any goes in the bowl... if she'll take a treat from spoon or hand thats great and can only help!

One thing if you do this though, always pull away if she hisses or swats when you're hand feeding her, always!

...my tortie was very skittish when we first had her, and the hand feeding seemd to help the most, the first week didn't go very well, but when we started hand feeding things really spend up. Used to feed her a treat or two during play time as well, and quickly got to the point where she would allow a little petting while being fed.

Let us know how you're doing

Hope all goes well
!!
I myself tried the spoon feeding and it didn't work. I did it once and she did smell it but didn't take it. I tried again and it hit the spoon so hard we had food everywhere. So that was the end of that. So I just put the food near her and slowing kept moving it closer to me and now she just comes and eats right where here food bowls are. If I am there she doesn't care she just comes and eats. It took time but it was worth it letting her know we aren't going to hurt her. But we still aren't out of the woods yet. She has to learn to come out of the room she is in and wonder the house. She does once in a while but she has to get use to one of my cats. My one cat chases her and she runs back into her secure spot. But she is doing good. Eventually when she learns how to stand her ground with the other cat she will be alright.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try encouraging her to play! Get a laser pointer or some frilly, feathery cat toy.  Also try giving her treats to lure her out from under the bed. She will begin to associate you with good things (like food and play) and with that should be less frightened of you and her new home. She will come around over time. If you don't know her history, she may have been feral before being at the no-kill shelter. As well as being so young all she knows is that tiny cage she was kept in for the first 8 months of her life! Your "tiny one bedroom apartment" is a whole, huge new world to her!

Best of luck!

mythkeeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to say that you are doing great with your little new girl and she is very cute.  I just adopted an adult female Torbie from a shelter and it has now been three weeks.  She is just now letting me pet her briefly but I see that she is SLOWLY, and I do mean slowly, coming around.  I play with her a lot (she almost demands it) and I think that has been the thing that has brought her out of her shell the most.  But it is difficult to be patient, I know.  I also plan on trying the Feliway as I think it will help calm kitty nerves.  I also think that because she only  has one eye she may not have as good of depth of field vision as a normal cat and that too may make her especially wary at first.  She will come around though - baby steps.