New addition to my home is very, very aggresive!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats - both neutered males. They will be 22 months tomorrow!

Kricket is a Maine Coon and the most overly affectionate and loving cat I have ever met. Keeker is a DSH and is the total and complete opposite! To hold him longer than 15 seconds without him going into contortions and a hissy-fit is a miracle. While he will follow me about the house - especially to the bathroom and kitchen - he will also display 'random unprovoked attacks'. I can walk through a room and he will leap two to three feet in the air and slide down my arms with all four feet. I can be sitting here at my desk and he will saunter over, rub against my leg and then jump up, wrap his paws around my arm and start 'chewing'. My sister came over one day and asked me if I got my arm stuck in a meat grinder! I have taken out stock in peroxide and band-aids! 

What I am getting at is this... 

I discovered that when he 'attacked' me, he was actually saying, "Hey, Mom! I am bored! Play with me!" 

Once I learned that he was getting my attention and wanting to play, I started dropping what I was doing and getting out the toys and cat nip. I have a fish pole/wand type toy that he loves to jump at and pounce and my arms/hands are a safe distance from his claws and teeth. I've also discovered that he enjoys playing fetch! Lately, I have been sitting on the couch or at my desk and he will bring his little squishy ball and drop it near me, then saunter a few feet away and wait until I throw it and say, "Go get it"!

Keeker is much more active than Kricket and requires more frequent interactive play. Now, when I notice him approaching me, I just have to say, "Go get your toy"! and he will go off and find his ball and bring it to me. 

Since Brisco spends quite a lot of time pent up in a room, he might just be needed some exercise and an active workout to release some energy! Get a little stuffed mouse and rub some cat nip on it (I prefer using loose cat nip because when you rub it, it activates the oils and heightens the aroma) and see if he doesn't start wearing himself out a bit by playing! The cat nip will make him a little hyper at first, but it will calm him after he discharges some energy. And FYI: Sometimes FeliWay can take several weeks to have an effect on a cat. It has to be used regularly. I know that Keeker is not maliciously attacking me or intending in any way to purposefully cause me injury. He is not stressed - other than the fact he needs stimulation! 

Yes, he still snares me at times, but I just take it with a grain of salt and chalk it up to his specific characteristics and needs and MY lack of providing him the attention he so desperately seeks and needs. And it took me over a year and a half to figure this out! 

I hope by giving Brisco some exercise he will calm down some. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Too Brisco to the vet today and they took blood samples for testing before neutering him. He was quiet and lovable at the vet's office; I even got to pet him for the first time since he first attacked me a month ago, and they were picking him up without any complaints. Once I got him home, I let him out of his case and had him wander the hallway. I went to get him some canned food, fed him and praised him for his bravery at the vet's, go to leave the room...and next thing I know my right leg kicks forward under the impact of a 14 pound kitty striking my calf from behind. Now, I am 6'2" and 235 pounds, and he lifted my leg a few inches off the ground!! One deep bite mark and four lacerations from his claws. He hit me twice with two claw swipes and one bite.

He is now confined to his room until he is neutered, and for several weeks afterwards. This cat is not aggressive, he is HYPER aggressive!!! He has attacked me a total of 5 times now, and in fact he goes out of his way to attack me...even when I am retreating after feeding him. I am doing all I can but he seems to be telling me quite clearly that he does not want to be here...
When I read this it was pretty disturbing to me, I really feel for you!

As I layed in bed after reading I was thinking about it, and decided I would recommend some serious playtime with him.

Of course no contact but a laser light is great, da-bird, or other wand toy, try tossing some catnip on the floor and see if he is affected by it or not (approx 65% of cats are affected)

and wear his butt out!

He's smart and is bored beyond what he has ever known I'm sure, is a higher energy guy as it is, and is still adapting to a man, a new home, no mom, and another male cat who he can't see yet, so he's got alot going on still, but most of all, his mind is probably bouncing off the walls by now.

Play time is also a great way for cats to gain trust with you.

If this has no effect it's prozac time!! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most definitely needs to be neutered, and ASAP.
His being 8 yrs old and is now 'conditioned' is true, but to a point. I am telling you there most surely WILL be changes in him after neutering, to what degree nobody can predict.

Stifled hormones can be pretty outrageous, I've seen all different levels of hormones ruling the cat. 
Know that it will take a good 3+ weeks post neuter for his hormones to adjust as well as his awful unfixed male urine which surely reeks.

Biting the gloved hand was seen as threatening, that's the trouble with gloves, been there, sooo many times, but at least my hands were protected! 

I would also request an anxiety med for him, like prozac. It's not going to be harmful for him to be on this for at least a short time, then the dose can slowly be cut down until he is on a very low dose but still has good and acceptable behavior, or eventually off of it completely, it all depends on him and his stress/anxiety level with time.

If you can do this, he will either be able to stay with you and your other boy, or he will at least be given the chance to find another home where he is an only cat if that's what it takes.
But at the point he is now, it will be very tough for someone else to give him a second look with his unpredictable behavior.

It's so good to hear you are a sensitive and caring man, patient too!!
I wonder if you could possibly close your cat in a room someplace and allow him an hour or so of freedom each day once he is fixed? I just think he is likely feeling pretty isolated and it might do him good to stretch out and take in some different sights here and there :)
How will he give him the prozak without being bitten?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How will he give him the prozak without being bitten?
At first it will need to be hidden in food in some way that works, once he is calmed down and not aggressive and biting, it shouldn't be difficult at all.

Good question!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are lucky, the vet will prescribe a tranquilizer that has no taste and is easy to put in food or treats, like the generic Ativan I use.  It is virtually tasteless, dissolves instantly in water, and the amount used is about the size of the head of a pin.  He could probably write you a prescription since vets don't keep that particular one on hand -- mine was for "lorazepam, 1 mg., #20 tablets, give 1/4 tablet with food as directed."  Its in the same classification (benzodiazopines) that the vet use for cats and dogs.  I think it was acepromazine that he gave me the first time and it was fairly large and the cat spat it out and ate around it.   My friend who is a nurse suggested we use the lorazepam and the vet went and looked up something and agreed that should be fine, although it isn't usually used in animal medicine, no reason it couldn't be.  They use it on humans all the time, just watch any medical show when someone is going ballistic in the emergency room and they call for a shot of lorazepam and it calms them down almost instantly.  Anyhow, it's now our new tranquilizer of choice for ferals and other flipped out cats.  Unlike prozac and other SSRIs, it works quickly, like in half an hour or so, and you can give it every 12 hours, because it seems to last all day.   When they start acting a little squirrelly again, they get the next dose.  I've never given it long term on a daily basis but have given it long term on a periodic basis with a freaky feral I have and she's still fine, in fact a much nicer cat than she used to be.  I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

plucky's dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Results for Brisco's blood work came back today and all seems mostly normal, except for some elevated ALP levels which indicate a possible liver issue, but could also be stress or him not eating as much as he used to previously. The vet asked me if I would be willing to wait another month before having Brisco fixed, just so she could do another test and check to see if things had improved at all. She did mention that she would be ok with doing it now, that this was just a precaution on her part.

He also needs a serious tooth cleaning, and she warned me to be extra careful if he bites, as "his mouth is really filthy".  Poor little guy! His previous mom has been a bit neglectful it seems.

I know the little guy is stressed, really really stressed. I am wondering if I should have him fixed now, and hope that helps reduce his stress some, or if I would be putting his health at risk...

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Results for Brisco's blood work came back today and all seems mostly normal, except for some elevated ALP levels which indicate a possible liver issue, but could also be stress or him not eating as much as he used to previously. The vet asked me if I would be willing to wait another month before having Brisco fixed, just so she could do another test and check to see if things had improved at all. She did mention that she would be ok with doing it now, that this was just a precaution on her part.

He also needs a serious tooth cleaning, and she warned me to be extra careful if he bites, as "his mouth is really filthy".  Poor little guy! His previous mom has been a bit neglectful it seems.

I know the little guy is stressed, really really stressed. I am wondering if I should have him fixed now, and hope that helps reduce his stress some, or if I would be putting his health at risk...
I would most definitely get him fixed now.

A male neuter is not that big of a deal honestly.

Maybe while she is at it she can do a cleaning of his teeth too.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @catwoman707, you need to get him neutered NOW.  A neuter is a very simple procedure, takes about a minute at most, he isn't under anesthesia very long, and a month from now the excessive testosterone will be out of his system which will be better for him and for you.  I can't imagine why the vet would even suggest waiting on this considering the adjustment problems he is having.  Once neutered and in your home another month, he might end up becoming the sweet friendly cat you used to know.  Also, if you are in an apartment, the smell of a non-neutered male could get you and the cat evicted pretty quickly.  In the meantime, you should be dumping the entire box every day if it's nonclumping litter and dumping the whole thing every other day if it is clumping litter, double-bagging the waste and taking it out to the trash compacter or outside garbage can farthest away from the building.  Within 2 weeks after neutering, the skunky male smell will tone down, and within a month it's gone completely, then the urine just smells like cat urine and not a skunk.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I read through the thread.

I agree, get him neutered. Not only it will help his aggression and stress levels, it will benefit his health in the long run, especially as a now senior kitty. I'd get his teeth cleaned while he's under at the same time to prevent mouth discomfort later on. He'll be happier when those hormones are gone from his system!

Since he was with a senior since he was a kitten, I really doubt he learned how to play properly. Sounds like he was trying to get your attention by playing when he grabbed your leg, but had no idea how hard he was doing it. I really doubt a senior lady would play with him and teach him the right way. One of my cats always 'attacks' my leg when I turn around when he wants to play, but never hard. I do suggest a wand toy (any hands-free toy) and play with him. It will also give him an outlet to relieve his stress and energy.

If you use a laser toy, make sure you toss treats or another toy at the end so he feels like he's accomplished attacking something (cats cant 'touch' a laser, they tend to get frusturated when they can't catch it..at least with my guys!

I suggest abandoning those gloves. They may have a smell that is not you, and it's confusing him. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would most definitely get him fixed now.
A male neuter is not that big of a deal honestly.
Maybe while she is at it she can do a cleaning of his teeth too.
Just what I was going to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since @catwoman707 mentioned the DaBIRD toy, which is NOT jut another "feather on a stick" but is designed to twirl in such a way as the feathers sound like a bird flying, drives them nuts -- here is one of my favorite videos demonstrating DaBird being used with Bengals.  There's a brief pause near the beginning, but then it takes off -- Wait for it!