New Addition, questions about breeds, etc

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I agree w/ Epona on this one... My thought when you responded was burmese. European burmese are less "cobby" looking and somewhat higher energy level. Cornish rex are also supposed to be pretty good at fitting in with other cats, but they are pretty high energy, so might not be a good fit for your current cat.

It may be eaiser for your male to accept a female, but some females can be quite bossy as well...so would depend on the individual cat's personality.

Because of the age of your current cat you might want to consider adopting a retired breeder... They usually retire them at around 2 - 4 years, so you know what the temperment is like and the breeder would be able to tell you how the cat would do with another cat (although they can't predict how your cat will react).

I haven't done much research into havannah browns, but they are supposed to be "middle of the road" I think in terms of energy and temperment. If you really like their looks, you might want to either go to a show and see how vocal / active they are or contact a breeder and explain what you're looking for. They should be able to tell you if their breed will suit you or not.

Art

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Cornish rex are also supposed to be pretty good at fitting in with other cats, but they are pretty high energy, so might not be a good fit for your current cat.
I wouldn't recommend a Cornie for that particular set of circumstances - they are somewhere between Oriental and Bengal in terms of energy and mischief (much more active than an Oriental - I have both - including doorsurfing, getting into things where a cat shouldn't fit, and getting on the top of stuff that you can't see how they could reach, but more of a lap cat and a bit less active than a Bengal), and yes they are very social cats, but that has more to do with them needing a similar energy level and age playmate rather than getting on with all cats regardless - I have a Cornie cross who is nearly 3 years old now and I think Cornie kitten/youthful Cornie + older cat = misery and disaster.
They are fantastic cats, but not for the faint-hearted or those wanting an easy life, and that includes older cats. Cornies are completely bonkers

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although not really a lap cat 100% of the time the Sphynx cat breed fits your requirements (except instead of somewhat playful, they tend to be very playful), they are an active breed and need lots of attention (and you said you like a needy cat
). My adult Sphynx is actually sitting on my lap right now.

Like the others said, if you are getting a kitten, I highly suggest getting two, especially with the background you gave, it would make life easier on the kitten, on you, your current cat, and on life with a new baby.
Also, before getting any cat from a breeder do your research on that breeder and make sure they breed healthy happy cats to the standard so your chances of getting the best fit for your house is higher with regards to temperament and longevity, etc.
Remember, regardless of what you get (breed, age, sex, etc.) do proper introductions. There are threads about that in behaviour. Good luck

Here is what mine looks like if you aren't familiar with the breed
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186993