New Ac Scares Kitty

MilkyTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

This is my first ever post on this site and my first forum post ever actually, so please bear with me!
I have a beautiful cat named Milky and she is 2 years old. I adopted her from a shelter about 7 months ago, where she lived with other cats and also dogs. When she got in my home, she was really scared about everything...problem that never really stopped. She is scared of anyone in the house but me, she only leaves my room at night when she knows everyone is asleep, and she gets stressed even around me sometimes. My guess is that she will never really change and maybe thats just her personality. She does not like any type of toy i buy her, she is immune to catnip and she does not cuddle at all. But let me get to the main problem. Yesterday i bought a new portable AC so i can use it in my room during summertime, because summer here is really harsh. I turned it on and Milky started meowing really loud and desperate, and it was visible that she was really scared. I noticed the same type of behaviour when i vaccum clean my room. I cannot let my cat outside my room during daytime or night without making sure every door is closed, because I fear that she will run away and never come back..that's why i came here to ask for help. What can I do to make my little kitty not scared about the new AC? When she is in the room and the machine is turned on, her desperate meows break my heart...I do not want to torture her, I just want to help her understand that the AC is harmless and she is safe in my room, like always. Any help is greatly appreciated!
(English is not my first language so I apologize for any mistake this post provides!)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on your first ever post on your first ever forum. And, BTW, your English is perfect. :thumbsup:

Sorry, though, that it is your beautiful Milky's fear of the AC that has brought you here. I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Hopefully other members will reply with comments/suggestions.

Meanwhile, here's an older thread on a similar topic:
Cat Scared Of Heater

Plus a couple TCS articles on shy/timid cats.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MilkyTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on your first ever post on your first ever forum. And, BTW, your English is perfect. :thumbsup:

Sorry, though, that it is your beautiful Milky's fear of the AC that has brought you here. I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Hopefully other members will reply with comments/suggestions.

Meanwhile, here's an older thread on a similar topic:
Cat Scared Of Heater

Plus a couple TCS articles on shy/timid cats.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Hey, I really appreciate your help!
I will try to leave the AC on and bring Milky in the room for small amounts of time, hopefully she will figure out that there is nothing harmful there, especially while I am in the room. As I said, she is extremely shy to the point of being worrying. She does not interact with anyone but me, she does not play, she is not the social type (like me :D). Good news is that i see progress. She recently started to boop noses with me (which I understand is a form of "handshake") and when she sees I lay down in bed she joins me (but never sits on me, just lays next to me). I still live with my parents but i will move out to live on my own in the near future and then I plan to get a new buddy for Milky to play with and hopefully that will reduce her stress and anxiety. Thanks for the help and I will try to make my room a more kitty pleasant environment :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... that's sweet that she started bopping noses. :catlove: My Ruby girl like to do head bumps. :catrub: