New 8 week old kitten started scratching the wallpaper

kittyeatlayke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I'm new to the site and could do with some detailed advice..

I've always had cats since a child but recently me and my boyfriend have got our own place and just a few days ago got a new 8 week old kitten.

He's absolutely great and settling in in wonderfully but I noticed before work this morning he started scratching the only outer corner of the textured wallpaper in the front room when he was running around and playing. He sort of ran around and then pounced on it and scratched playfully. I looked closer and noticed there are few scratch marks there where he's clearly been clawing at it.

I've since caught him doing it again this evening, again whilst being playful. Every time I've told him no and moved him away but I'm scared he's going to do it again and ruin the wallpaper and we're in a rented house..

I've heard about Feliway but will that work on scratching wallpaper if he's only doing it whilst playing rather than a way of scenting the area?

Please help!

chloespriestess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new adoption!

Looks like you have to get a scratch post. His antics are cute at that age, but he will be destructive if you don't train him to to use what is appropriate for him to scratch. 

He is doing what comes natural to him; all cats scratch and climb. That's how they live in the wild; therefore, scratch post must be provided for house cats if you don't want them climbing/destroying walls.

I don't know if you have a "cat furniture" already; those jungle gym type of things for cats are great; it keeps them fit, occupied and give them a good place to nap (less hair on your bed). I have one that is tension mounted and goes from floor to ceiling, but since you have a male cat, you might want to get something sturdier. They take a lot of beating, so even if your initial cost may seem high, in the long run, if you spend a little more, you will be glad that you paid a little extra for a nicer one.

If you are handy, you can also make one pretty easily. If you decide to make one, please make sure the base is wide enough so it won't tip over (he won't use it if it tips over every time he tries to scratch) and tall enough. Cats like to stretch up when they scratch. It stretches all their muscles including the little digits in their paws. Boy cats tend to grow longer than female. (and beautiful!)

If you can set the thing near a window, he will have the view of the outside world, which keeps him occupied during the day while you are at work. It makes a nice snoozing spot in the sun for him also.

Every time he goes for the forbidden things to scratch/climb, you can say "No!" (Never hit) and hoist him up to his tree. Eventually, he will find the tree much more interesting and satisfying. You can also use Cat Dancer or Cat Charmer toys to entice him to go up. (Get your camera ready; you will likely see lots of acrobatic craziness!) The bonus is that this will help you bond with him and it also tires him out, so he will be less likely to bug you in the middle of the night!

...and please, no matter what anyone says, declawing is a barbaric practice-it's like chopping off someone's finger tips because you don't want her playing on your piano-I know you wouldn't, but I just had to throw that in for people who may read this post.

Good-Luck!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL this is why a lot of adoption groups will only adopt two kittens out together! Your kitty is bored. Someone on this site has always said that the best way to stop a kitty from doing something is to give them a more attractive alternative. For the kitten I would recommend (unless you want to adopt another sweet kitty for this little girl) that you block off that area for now- cover it with double sided sticky tape and/or put a piece of furniture over it so she will forget about it. After a few weeks and with making the below changes, you can uncover that area again. 

And get her some cardboard scratchies and put catnip on it. Also buy her some of those foil crinkle balls, some little tiny mice that rattle inside, and there should also be some soft sparkle balls. Kittens love to carry these things around in their mouths. 

Kittens also love to chase string but I would be very careful about leaving anything like that out for them. If you do use string with them, put it away when you leave. 

I would also get your kitten a cat tree or make her a bed or a place high up where she can have a view of the world. 

With a new kitten you have to take the lead and create a physical structure where you want her to be, and that are attractive to her- with little squares of fleece on the couch back or wherever, and with catnip and toys nearby- making places for her, so that she does not create her own, like on table tops or the kitchen counter. Be mindful of the fact that she will want to know what you guys are doing up there, so you will need to make spots higher up where she can see. 

I still do recommend getting her a playmate, because it will take a lot of pressure off you guys to keep her entertained, and it will keep her from becoming bored and destructive. She has a lot of very active time ahead of her LOL.

You will all be happiest if you as the parents sit down and plan her world. This includes when and how much and what she is- and is not- fed, bedtimes, playtimes, waking up times- all should be the same general time and the same daily routine. Just like tiny babies, cats of all ages are creatures of structure and will feel safe and will not make their own (crazy knocking things off your dresser at 3AM to get you up) rules when they have regular times for each thing. While it may seem fun to let them do what they want, it actually can cause them some anxiety. Be mindful not to let her stay up too late i.e. don't keep her up or wake her up when you get in at 1AM and play with her or she will want to do it every night. Put her in her night time bed at the same time each night and it is best to play with her earlier, before bedtime and allow her to get a little bit sleepy. You can even give her a treat, then play, then wait a half hour, then bedtime. She will know then, when it is bedtime. 

Good luck and give some thought to that second cat!

Last edited: