New 7 Weeks Old Kitten And 3 Year Old Cat

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my newly adopted 7 weeks old female kitten wants to befriend my 3 year old male cat. She tries to approach him but he hisses at her, so she doesn’t push it. She just sits where she is and stares at him. She does this a couple of times a day. Should I let them be or should I try to stop her when she attempts to approach him again? So far, my adult cat hasn’t tried to attack her or hurt her or anything. Just a lot of hissing, especially when they make eye contact.

Btw, i was trying to do a gradual introduction but my adult male cat is a smart cookie. The moment he smelled the 7 weeks old kitten, he has made it his mission to get inside the room where she’s kept. My mother didn’t know better so she let him in, and so they met a week earlier than I originally planned.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is your 3 year old male playful at all? Could you work towards getting the two of them playing with you and some kind of wand toy? Play therapy is usually a good way of building friendship between cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your 3 year old male playful at all? Could you work towards getting the two of them playing with you and some kind of wand toy? Play therapy is usually a good way of building friendship between cats.
He’s playful but a bit more on the aggressive side. He likes to bite or scratch my hand, but not enough to actually hurt me. We have another adult cat in the house 1 and a half year old male Persian too, and they like to wrestle, which is why I’m a bit worried. He plays rough. But so far, he’s tolerating the presence of the kitten better than when my other male Persian first came to us.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Given how young and new your kitten is I wouldn't let the kitten be around him unsupervised until you know for certain how they will behave. I wouldn't stop her approaching him, since it sounds like she is being respectful of his boundaries and they are just getting used to each other. But I would keep a close eye on things for the next few weeks to be sure.

I suggested a wand toy because it lets them play alongside each other without making contact, the focus being on the toy. That way you don't have to worry about him being rough since she isn't the one that energy is directed at. Many cats will take turns playing with the toy, watching the other cat play during their 'downtime'. This will let your kitten and older cat observe each other and build positive associations with the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given how young and new your kitten is I wouldn't let the kitten be around him unsupervised until you know for certain how they will behave. I wouldn't stop her approaching him, since it sounds like she is being respectful of his boundaries and they are just getting used to each other. But I would keep a close eye on things for the next few weeks to be sure.

I suggested a wand toy because it lets them play alongside each other without making contact, the focus being on the toy. That way you don't have to worry about him being rough since she isn't the one that energy is directed at. Many cats will take turns playing with the toy, watching the other cat play during their 'downtime'. This will let your kitten and older cat observe each other and build positive associations with the other.
I’ll try playing with them using the wand toy later. Hopefully it works. I’m really excited for them to get along with each other. Thank you very much for your response!!