New 6 month old boy cat.

hunterd31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't had a kitten in over 17 years. My new kitten was being fed 2 larger cans of blue natural salmon a day. No dry food. I think it's a lot but I'm not sure. What is the right way. And he is really long and skinny.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check the label on the can. Usually they give you a feeding guide (how much to feed per pound of cat or kitten). Two cans a day probably isn't that much for a growing kitten who isn't eating dry food - it may not be enough, depending on the how nutritionally dense the food is.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the feeding guide is a guideline but it should give you a idea how much to feed him

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with @Chromium Blues: kittens need a lot of calories! And if the little guy already looks skinny to you, @hunterd31, he probably needs at least as much as he was getting. He's very cute!

It really is different to have a kitten, isn't it? When our senior cat died in December 2014, we adopted two ten-month-old kittens. They were tiny and underfed (I think they really were rescue cats), and when I asked the vet how many calories they should be getting, she said, "unlimited." It took a while to adjust to their appetites after having to coax our elderly cat to eat anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunterd31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed him blue natural salmon and started giving him dry kitten food also and I cut the cans to half in the morning and the other half at night. but he gets it all over he didn't know how to eat it at first. Lol kept falling out of his mouth. @Chromium-Blues