New 4mo old kitten will not use litter to poo

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my husband and I have two 3yr old cats, bro and sis, been raised together with us since they were 3mos old.  2weeks ago, we decided we wanted to raise two more!  So, we got two 4mos old sis kittens, and first two days, they had diarrhea and both used litter, but after that, one of the kittens decided they will only poo outside litter, she pees in the litter though.  We cant afford to change the litter we use, our budget just wont allow it with 4 cats, anyone have suggestions?  Thanks!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
At 4 months old I'd say observation and confinement in an area with a litter box until you retrain. It's possible he's just getting sort of lost.  He may have a bad association with the litter box via the diarrhea.

Animals do things for a reason. Observation and supervision are the best tools to correct inappropriate animal behavior.  It's possible in this case she's just too far from the litter box to make it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
We locked her in a giant wire dog cage with her sis last night and placed the cage  in our room as we slept, they only had room for a box with a soft pad in it to sleep in, their food and water and a few toys along with a litter box, she pooed outside the litter box on each side.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

We locked her in a giant wire dog cage with her sis last night and placed the cage  in our room as we slept, they only had room for a box with a soft pad in it to sleep in, their food and water and a few toys along with a litter box, she pooed outside the litter box on each side.
That's determination.  You may have to try a different litter in one of the boxes. Start on the easy end of the problem. I know you mentioned cost but that is still. Are you putting the poo in the box and showing her ?

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
She did poo twice since her diarrhea in the litter, both times while we were looking right at her and pretty much right next to her.  I really don't know why she is doing it outside the box, I can only note when she does it, when she is locked up at night, either in the spare bedroom we fixed up for her and her sis or in the cage.  No, I have not showed her the poo, I thought that only worked on dogs.  But since she has pooed twice in litter, she already knows, I would think?  And, no, we simply can not change the litter, we have no money in our budget to do so, we are already using the cheapest litter available, wood pellet horse bedding that is only 6 bucks for 40 lbs.  We also have 6 litter boxes, HUGE ones, two 30x22 and four 25x20 spread out around the house, pretty much one in each room except the kitchen, so she has access to them all. 

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

She did poo twice since her diarrhea in the litter, both times while we were looking right at her and pretty much right next to her.  I really don't know why she is doing it outside the box, I can only note when she does it, when she is locked up at night, either in the spare bedroom we fixed up for her and her sis or in the cage.  No, I have not showed her the poo, I thought that only worked on dogs.  But since she has pooed twice in litter, she already knows, I would think?  And, no, we simply can not change the litter, we have no money in our budget to do so, we are already using the cheapest litter available, wood pellet horse bedding that is only 6 bucks for 40 lbs.  We also have 6 litter boxes, HUGE ones, two 30x22 and four 25x20 spread out around the house, pretty much one in each room except the kitchen, so she has access to them all. 
Put the litter in the box and show her. But not in any way as discipline . In fact she may even bury it once shown.  If the simple things don't work you need to take her to the vet . We use vets that are American Association of Feline Practitioners. It is possible she has impacted anal glands. We just went though that with our 10 month old although she was still using the litter box.

You can also enter litter box issues into the cat site search box and find more active threads

Last edited:

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes, the two times she has pooed in the litter since she had diarrhea (and even while she had diarrhea), she does not cover it.  She never scratches in the litter at all, even after peeing, so you may be right, she does not like the litter, but that is not something we can fix if that is the issue sadly, anyone know a way to train a kitten to use litter they don't like?  My boy cats glands were a bit clogged once, so I know what they look like if they get clogged, and hers do not look clogged.  Oh, and she sits to pee, but stands to poo, if anyone knows what that means?

Last edited:

allycalico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you said you can't change your litter, but I'm wondering if comparison shopping online might make it more reasonable? My preferred brand retails at the pet stores for about $30 per 40 lb. bag, but we get it on Amazon at $17 for the 40 lb. bag. You have to plan in advance a bit, but it might make changing litters more feasible if nothing else works. 

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
even at the lower price, thats nearly triple what we pay now for litter, sadly - yes, i have been online every month since we got our two first cats 3 yrs ago, looking for litter cheaper then what we use now, there is none that im aware of that is even close to what we pay

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

even at the lower price, thats nearly triple what we pay now for litter, sadly - yes, i have been online every month since we got our two first cats 3 yrs ago, looking for litter cheaper then what we use now, there is none that im aware of that is even close to what we pay
you may have to buy something your kitten will be willing to use and then transition her to your brand of choice. Do you know what they were using before you brought them home ? I'm trying to suggest a short term compromise.

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
oh ok, sure, i can find out what she was using, maybe the lady can spare some, i will try that thanks!