Never seen this behavior before

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is cooking dinner which is probably where things first went wrong. The oil got too hot and the house got smokey. Seti started making the strangest noises. He's scared of the smoke. In all my years working with cats I've never seen one act this way. I spent a long time loving on him and making him feel better but the smoke really worried him. Thankfully, it's clearing out now.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

My husband is cooking dinner which is probably where things first went wrong. The oil got too hot and the house got smokey. Seti started making the strangest noises. He's scared of the smoke. In all my years working with cats I've never seen one act this way. I spent a long time loving on him and making him feel better but the smoke really worried him. Thankfully, it's clearing out now.
You have a Smoke Detector Cat. He's a life-saver. You can sleep deeply for as long as he's around. Congratulations!

But try to avoid these false alarms, which upset Seti. Your husband needs a lesson on stove and oven settings!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe some basic animal instinct there that your cat is pretty in touch with. Some of it may have also been from the two of you. Were either of you agitated over having a kitchen full of smoke?

What was he cooking, by the way? Some foods, like peppers (or dry peppers) will release capsicum in the air when they get hot in oil - which can be very irritating to the airways and eyes in larger amounts or if a person is sensitive. ...personal advice here, habaneros + hot oil is particularly unpleasant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

. Your husband needs a lesson on stove and oven settings!
No kidding!

Thankfully, it wasn't so bad as to set off the smoke detector or anything like that but we did reflect this morning that our little Seti may one day be a life saver. He was the only one who was troubled at all. We tend to roll with the punches around here.

The smoke was from vegetable oil. It was unpleasant for sure and I was annoyed because I cleaned house all day yesterday and now it stinks like a deep fryer in my house. Next time my husband catches fish, I'll be the one cooking, nay baking, them!

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever there is the tiniest bit of kitchen smoke in the house, all four of my cats get on their bellies and slink to the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitty2cat

Whenever there is the tiniest bit of kitchen smoke in the house, all four of my cats get on their bellies and slink to the window.
I'm glad to hear it's not just Seti! There really wasn't much smoke.