Never Ever Pet Me!

neff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my baby is 4 months old now. She was 3 weeks old orphan when I got her. From then on, ahe has never liked petting! When she was 8 weeks old I got another kitten (same age).. He loves attention.. He wants to be petted. He shows us his belly.. But I habe never seen my baby girl"s belly!! Is this posssible?? I raised her, so I am expecting much more attention than my other kitty. But, she just doesnt care! She loves freedom.. She is not biting,but she is scraching us.. Why do you think she is like that? We saw her first poop, we saw her first water drinking and so on.. I just want to know why? And is this normal?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At four months play time can seem so much more inviting than a good grooming session. Before you panic, try not petting her. Play with her plenty and let her use for warmth. If in 3?5? months no progress and she won't even let you scratch her chin, then I might panic. Was she a feral kitten?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like people, every cat/kitten is different - in personality, energy level, likes and dislikes. Especially with kittens these do evolve over time but in the end she may never be like her brother. You just need to love each for its own wonderful personality.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she feral? Did you get her from the outdoors? I have two feral cats, the male likes to be petted, but the female doesn't. She just likes to hang out with us, but not be touched much.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zoya never really liked petting until she was maybe 4 years old. Too independent. And she liked the dog better than us.

I was conformed that I didn't have a lap cat. Then one day she grew up and she started rubbing on our hands and sleepping in our laps. She died at almost 15 and although a bitter till the end when she got overstimulated, she was a true cuddlebug.

She was also a feral, rescued at 4 weeks. And she was raised by a dog, as her mom abandoned the litter at two days old.

Your kitty is young, enjoy the cuddles from your other kitten for now, and let her come around. Most cats find ways to show afection, even if they won't like to be petted.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Little Figgy, a rescued feral, only likes to be pet at a certain time of the day. Any other time she wants nothing to do with it. Cats are funny. :dunno:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oddly enough, my former feral that had no human contact for her first four months, loves petting. You can't approach her and have to be sitting or not looking at her. But under the right conditions she wants nothing more than to be pet non stop all day long. Even in her sleep she nudges my hand to pet her. On the other hand, my boy who loved petting and sleeping on me as a baby grew up to dislike being pet. He will take the occasional head scratch and has moments of wanting affection. But for the most part he works very hard to stay *just* out of reach. Although he does sleep most nights on the end of a bed and likes to lay on feet at night.

Cats are odd little creatures. But it is perfectly normal for one cat to love cuddles and another to want some space.