Never ending battle with loose stools

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AW I know, piling cat's is a nightmare
- but if you offer a really, really, really yummy treat after the pill - my cat's are pigs and love those Greenies or Temptation Treat's. Pipsqueak will sit on the counter now and wait for his pills because he want's his treat. Perla is doing the same thing for her pills now too. You have to be very, very quick and swift giving a pill and then they will just learn to tolerate it for that yummy treat. Have you ever used a pill shooter? It is a a clear plastic tube gun thingy
- and it works at saving your finger. If I have a real fighter - I scruff and shoot the pill very fast - they don't even know what hit them.
Of course, I have had year's of experience piling cat's so I understand this might not be easy for you
But give it a try - if you scruff and lift up off of the counter,( just lift by the scruff until the front leg's are in the air - not the whole cat
) their mouth opens slightly and insert the pill gun into the back of the mouth - try to be gentle so as not to scrap the back of their throat - but get it to the back of the tongue.
I know - not easy.....
Much luck with your babies
I will have to try a pill gun. As for a treat my kitties are weird and don't care much for them. I occasionally give them temptations and they will eat them after a lot of sniffing. The pounce treats my other cats go nuts over they turn their noses up too.
Maybe if I gave them pumpkin,
I started giving them pumpkin to see if it would help and it was like giving candy to children they went nuts over it.

Thankfully we've never had to deal with Tritrichomonas Feotus, but if the vet(s) are finding bacteria in their stools, the problem is not the food. I agree - talk to your vet about a much longer course of metro.

Yes I do think the problem is not the food, and neither does my vet.

I know the food they are eating is not the greatest. I grew up feeding my cats Purina brand food, so I have never thought about changing it. I only recently started learning about better foods and plan on changing them to something better sometime after the first of the year when I should have things a little more stable money wise. Right now it is just not an option. I love them and just want them to be happy and healthy.
As much as they love the vet, and I am not being sarcastic they really love the vet and the vets love them as well, I would like to spend less time and money there. They also think riding in the car is fun and love to look out the windows and lay in my lap.
They are not your normal cats, but it probably comes from lots of trips to the vet when they were really young and I freaked out over every little thing, and then they started their shots, and then we went into this never ending battle we are having right now, so the car and the vet are just normal to them.
  Next week when I go for a recheck we will see what is going on, and what she suggest. I will definitely ask about Tritrichomonas Feotus.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This cat has bacteria swimming around in the feces - so medication is a must to erradicate that bacteria/ parasite, diet won't cure that one.

Every animal has bacteria in the gut.  Some good, some bad.  These medications kill everything, good and bad.  I wasn't saying that there is no place for Metronodazole - just that it is very nasty stuff, and if it doesn't do the trick, then move on to different strategies.  That's all.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every animal has bacteria in the gut.  Some good, some bad.  These medications kill everything, good and bad.  I wasn't saying that there is no place for Metronodazole - just that it is very nasty stuff, and if it doesn't do the trick, then move on to different strategies.  That's all.
Agree with you :). Metro is definitely something not to be used lightly - the shortest possible duration should be used.... Always best to use a probiotic as well on this med or any antibiotic - will help with adding back some healthy bacteria to the gut that the Metro has killed - :nod: :bigthumb:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to try a pill gun. As for a treat my kitties are weird and don't care much for them. I occasionally give them temptations and they will eat them after a lot of sniffing. The pounce treats my other cats go nuts over they turn their noses up too. :rolleyes: Maybe if I gave them pumpkin, :think: I started giving them pumpkin to see if it would help and it was like giving candy to children they went nuts over it.

Next week when I go for a recheck we will see what is going on, and what she suggest. I will definitely ask about Tritrichomonas Feotus.
Pumpkin :bigthumb: Good idea. I wish my Pipsqueak would LOVE the stuff :rolleyes: If I have to give it to him - I have to syringe it into him. My other cat's love pumpkin.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: I really, really hope it is NOT... Trit. Feotus :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

jenl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can Metrodnidazole be harsh on digestion if that's what they are using to treat the digestive tract? I don't get it. Miss was only on it for a few days, but the vet wants me to watch her because he said some cats have to be on a low dose of it all the time if nothing else solves the problem...

Digestion issues are so ridiculously tough to solve...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Metro is an antibiotic that also acts as an anti-inflammatory and is DESIGNED not to kill the healthy flora in the gut. I don't know why Presto is saying metro is nasty stuff. :dk: Hope Presto comes back to provide us some links/references/citations.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Metro is an antibiotic that also acts as an anti-inflammatory and is DESIGNED not to kill the healthy flora in the gut.
Are you kidding??  Do you really think a "poison" discriminates between the good bacteria and the bad??  That would be some magic (smart) bullit.  I think you're the one who needs to provide the links. "A poison that can tell good from bad bacteria" - now there's something to write about!