Neutering

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was neutered yesterday and he has a cone on because he will mess with it. But he has already taken the cone off 4 times now and I'm sure when I leave he takes it off again. Is there a way to make sure he can't get the cone off?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
None of my cats, male or female, had a cone after they were neutered or spayed. I don't think there is any point trying to ensure he keeps it on if he's learnt how to take it off. He might end up hurting himself if you try to make the cone to tight.

Just keep an eye on his incision and see how he does. It's OK for him to groom himself. Does he have stitches or did the vet close the incision with glue?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat was neutered yesterday and he has a cone on because he will mess with it. But he has already taken the cone off 4 times now and I'm sure when I leave he takes it off again. Is there a way to make sure he can't get the cone off?
Yes, I agree with the above poster. My boy kicked off his cone the minute he reached home.

Here's a thread I replied to on post neutering for your reference :- Is it infected??

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another in agreement with both the above. Wasn't given a cone for any of my boy's, vet said they didn't need one unless they wouldn't leave the site alone. And started to lick all the time. If you really want to keep the cone on because of him messing with it, do what my daughter did with her boy after a eye op. Attach it to a H harness that way he shouldn't be able to slip out so easily.
IMG-20220730-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220801-WA0003.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a harness right now is there another way

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None of my cats, male or female, had a cone after they were neutered or spayed. I don't think there is any point trying to ensure he keeps it on if he's learnt how to take it off. He might end up hurting himself if you try to make the cone to tight.

Just keep an eye on his incision and see how he does. It's OK for him to groom himself. Does he have stitches or did the vet close the incision with glue?
It's not stitches the doctor said he is not allowed to lick it at all if he does it will get infected

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I can't always keep an eye on him when I go to work
I think you don't have to worry that much. Many strays and ferals are trapped, neutered and released back from where they came from and no one looks after them and their neutered and spayed site healed well.

As long as when you are home, keep the site clean and check for any abnormalities and if there are any, please contact your vet otherwise you are good to go.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not stitches the doctor said he is not allowed to lick it at all if he does it will get infected
I don't want to contradict your vet, but it's very unlikely that a cat will develop an infection from his own saliva. I've had over 40 cats spayed and neutered. None of them ever wore a cone. None of them ever had an infection.

The main reason vets put a cone on a cat after surgery is they worry the cat may try to pull the stitches out, but if there are no stitches there's no risk of this happening.

How does the incision look? Are you concerned about it at all?

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No im just keeping on the cone cause the doctor said he is not allowed to lick the wound that it needs to heal

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you don't have to worry that much. Many strays and ferals are trapped, neutered and released back from where they came from and no one looks after them and their neutered and spayed site healed well.

As long as when you are home, keep the site clean and check for any abnormalities and if there are any, please contact your vet otherwise you are good to go.
Is it normal that he hasn't pooped at all yet since after his surgery?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is it normal that he hasn't pooped at all yet since after his surgery?
It's normal for the cat to be constipated or have no poop for one or two days after being neutered because there was no food intake prior to the surgery. Just keep tab on your cat and if it goes on for more than 3 days, check with your vet.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a harness right now is there another way
Can't think of one right now. But like I said he will probably not need a cone. My boy's didn't have one and the vet said to my daughter that sometimes cones can cause more problems trying to get the cat to keep them on. If I was you I wouldn't use one and would just keep a eye on him. Some cat's just get out of them even the harness isn't completely fail safe.

JadeContrino25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't think of one right now. But like I said he will probably not need a cone. My boy's didn't have one and the vet said to my daughter that sometimes cones can cause more problems trying to get the cat to keep them on. If I was you I wouldn't use one and would just keep a eye on him. Some cat's just get out of them even the harness isn't completely fail safe.
I have to have the cone so he doesn't lick it and I can't watch him when I leave for work

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to have the cone so he doesn't lick it and I can't watch him when I leave for work
I understand you are doing what your vet has said maybe you could call the vet's and speak to the vet or vet technician, explain he keeps getting it off they might have some ideas or maybe they will say don't bother. Sorry I can't be more help. I moved my boy's cat tree when he was done to avoid him jumping up and down from too high just for a few day's you might want to do that while your at work.