Neutering stray males

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all !

At the cat colony I care for I started spaying the females, now that I'm done I am starting with neutering the males.
As all cats at home have been neutered at a young age I have no experience on the following
-after neutering how long does it take to the cat to not wanting to go for girls. the fighting and the spaying.... ??

is it approx just a couple of weeks, a couple of months, 6 months ? up to a year ?
Just curious...

Thank you !!
R

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great job with the females!

Re: the males. It usually takes about a month for the hormones to cycle out of their system. If they're older males, they may continue to spray anyway, but the aggression and not wanting to go for females should be pretty quick.

Good luck trapping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks !

I had just the curiosity cause I've neutered 5 about 10 days ago and I still see them wanting to fight... I just wondered how long it would take.... next neutering will be as soon as I 2 sick cats leave my "cat clinic room" hopefully next week.

Thank you !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A dominant, territorial male, who is 1. full of hormones 2. used to keep his territorium, it will take longer.

A gentle, not dominating male, docile, it may take an astonishing short time to cool down. A week perhaps.

As a rule of thumb, dont count on lesser than one month as mentioned. But dont be surprised it it takes yet longer.

Tx for that wonderful job you are apparently doing!

Good luck with this your task and also your own life!