neutering a seven-year-old cat

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am fostering kittens for a local rescue.

There is someone interested in a kitten, but he has a seven-year-old cat who is unaltered. The shelter won't adopt animals unless all animals in the home are spayed/neutered.

Do you have experiences neutering a seven-year-old male? He worries the cat will be angry and start spraying. (That seems a little like projecting to me, lol.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't have experience with this.
He worries the cat will be angry and start spraying. (That seems a little like projecting to me, lol.)
...a lot, actually.

No, the cat won't be angry and start spraying. I would wonder more about ensuring his aftercare including pain meds, is very thoroughly explained to the owner.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That cat needs to be neutered and then wait a month for the hormones to diminish. I can’t believe the cat isn’t spraying now. Does he keep his cat inside. Every intact cat I have met that lived inside sprayed. Are you sure this is a good home for the cat he wants to adopt?

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine having an intact male for 7 years without any issues, I would be hesitant to adopt out a cat to this person without first getting a reasonable explanation as to why the cat was never neutered, to me that is a red flag that requires more investigation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have neutered/spayed cats of all ages in TNR and have never seen a problem in doing so...in case that were the concern of the owner of the male cat. As for the cat supposedly not spraying, is this male cat allowed out or is he outside most of the time? If so, he could be spraying up a storm elsewhere. To me, that does raise a question about the welfare of the kitten.

I know that as of last Wednesday, you were still hoping for homes for the kittens, so please don't think that I am arguing with you after all you did for them. This person might be a very good cat owner, but I would just make sure that he is not going to let a kitten outside and knows how to introduce the two cats, etc.