Neutering A Feral Tomcat

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The deed is done, its over, he's back "home" which is our yard. I've felt so terrible for three days and the closer we got to accomplishing this the worse I felt. To betray a trust built up over three years by setting a trap, leaving him in the trap from 6:30 pm to after 8:00 am the next day, to put in the back of a car, and drive, to leave him in a strange place with strange people, to put him back in the car. A basically wild animal with no ability to comprehend what's going on and it might be worse for him if he did.

Tuffy was released back into our yard at 4:00 pm yesterday. He bolted out but only ran about 6 feet from me before stopping to give me a "look" I cannot interpret. Then he disappeared into the park behind us. But he did come to his usual spot to eat his supper later. I'm to check his suture area as best I can, hah! Neither of us is able to pet him though OH has once in a while got to within a few feet of him when putting food out. Boy, I'm glad that's over. Hopefully no more roaming in spring after in-heat female cats. Tuffy would disappear for up to week sometimes and we'd wonder if we'd ever see him again.

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it'll be hard, but while you're waiting for him to be friends again, and he did come back to eat, that means he doesn't hate you, focus on the good. Think of all the kittens who won't be born to die early deaths, of the female cats who won't die giving birth. Your boy will still rule his territory. He'll even keep the other toms from bothering his ladies. It's a total win. *

*This is a secret, but getting him fixed at his age means he can still get it on with the ladies, just not make kittens. We got ours fixed at 9 months. One fell in love with our feral, it had to be love, he had no hormone drive, and they were an active couple for the remaining 8 years they had together. They were indoor cats. yes, the feral accepted living inside.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've held back for this reason too. But I KNOW it is HIS best interest here to get a feral tom fixed asap. This thread inspires me to do it sooner than later. Kudos to the OP for doing this. I KNOW how hard it is to do it & thus have not done so yet.

By the way he is a good looking meanie tom, haha. No really, a very good looking boy indeed. Wish I was handsome as he at his age, LOL. :)

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CONGRATS!!!
Doesn't
it feel good to know your lil fur kid won't be in any more fights? Yessss.
YOU DID IT!! YAYyyyyy!! :yess:
I do understand your joy and also, your initial fear of possibly annoying your beloved lil fur friend.
I was that way, at first, too,
but now? I am on team TVNR,:wavey: ha haha.

Yes, it IS hard to do this, but, it is the best thing. Cats always always forgive and begin showing right back up for meals. or, so far as I know, that seems to be the case.
At least, mine always do, and so does some other feral cats that are cared for by others, they say it is the same for their recovering ferals.

some of my ferals that i have TNVR even later allowed me to pet them,:heartshape::catrub: which took them a long longggggggggg time to allow that. :petcat: so, it goes to show, apparently, most feral cats do not hold much grudge over TNVR.

My family thinks I am nutz,:lol:;) but, I want the best for my lil ferals, their life is so hard out there....
so it is nice to find this online community who does understand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuffy came for his breakfast at 8:15 am this morning. Food has been disappearing but we haven't seen him till now. :)