neutered male mounting female?

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my neutured boy Marvin [he was neutered at the beginning of September] keeps mounting the little girl Molly [her spaying appointment is in a week or so, already made appointment]. she is in heat right now and he's suddenly started trying to mount her and bite the scruff of her neck. since it's been a few months since his neutering i know he can't impregnate her right? is this normal? should i be concerned!?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by A&As Mommy

my neutured boy Marvin [he was neutered at the beginning of September] keeps mounting the little girl Molly [her spaying appointment is in a week or so, already made appointment]. she is in heat right now and he's suddenly started trying to mount her and bite the scruff of her neck. since it's been a few months since his neutering i know he can't impregnate her right? is this normal? should i be concerned!?
Yes, you should be concerned - he can still get her pregnant for a few months after neutering... Keep them separated until she is spayed - that is why usually females get spayed first, because then there is absolutely no chance of that happening.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males are fertile for up to 8 weeks, if he was done in early September - about 12 weeks ago,he would be fine now. And if she's getting done next week it wouldn't matter anyway.

It's not at all unusual for boys (or even girls) to mount girls in heat, no need to be concerned.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nuts would randomly mount Attitude at various times after she was spayed(got her done first) and even after he was neutered. Cats will sometimes just do this but they especially will if someone is in heat even if spayed or neutered. I always get girls done first. Boys don't get pregnant and females are immediately sterile once done.

If she's getting spayed this week I wouldn't worry about it, but he should be sterile after 12 weeks.

Taryn

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, every time I have had a female in heat, the males will mount her. Some of the boys are more persistent than others, but even the early-neutered boys will do it. And sometimes females, too. It's just the way things are, I guess

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated. Males can get a female pregnant for up to 2 months after being neutered. So he could get her pregnant or cause a false pregnancy if he completes it.

Spay her anyway - won't matter if the spay is done soon, but you should let them know there is a slight chance she could be pregnant (she would only be a few weeks if she is.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Keep them separated. Males can get a female pregnant for up to 2 months after being neutered. So he could get her pregnant or cause a false pregnancy if he completes it.
He was neutered the beginning of September. So it's been over 3 months

I doubt he can get her pregnant. If so, alert the record books! LOL. But if he does manage to actually "seal the deal" it could cause her to have a false pregnancy. But I don't think that'll be a big problem. My vet prefers that a cat be out of heat when she's spayed, even if that means early pregnancy or false pregnancy.