Neutered Male Making Sexual Advances Towards Neutered Female

lynniemu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :)

I have 2 cats, whom I posted about before (you can look in my history):
1. Spencer: Male, neutered (since a young age), ~7 years old. He was my mother in law's kitten and we took him in when she passed away. He is very social and grew up with an older female cat who was neutered but has also passed. He never made any sexually aggressive advances on her. He has been living with us for 3 years.
2. Josie: Female, spayed (not sure when this occurred), ~9 years old. She was our friend's father in law's cat and we took her in when he passed away. She is timid, but is slowly warming up to her new home. She has been with us since February of this year.

We took introductions slowly, giving the cats about 6 weeks to get used to each other's smells and progressing them to the point that they both have free roam of the house unattended. They seem to be fond on one-another, often being found in the same room, lying on the same bed, rubbing against one-another, and occasionally playing.

There is one kind-of disturbing behavior that has been developing and with increasing frequency. We first joked about it and called it Spencer's "sex dance", but now it is happening several times a night and getting a little bit more "intense." Basically Josie will be lying in our bed, and I will hear Spencer meow from outside of the room (it is a very distinct type of meow), then he will enter the room purring very loudly, jump onto the bed and start kneading as he purrs and walking around her while facing her. He will then, eventually pounce on her and bite her neck and start making a humping motion. Her response will vary, from meowing at him and swatting during his purring and kneading demonstration, to just crouching and taking his pounce silently until it hurts, then she yowls and they scuffle (no blood) and he or she runs away.

At this point, I have been trying to chase him away before he can pounce; however, after reading some information online, it seems that this can be him asserting his dominance, especially over the bed-space with me in the bed. Should I try to redirect his attention to me and pet him and give him affection to show him that he is "top-cat," rather than chasing him away. Do you think this will help? Have you ever dealt with this? What did you do to fix it, or were you able to fix it?

Thank you!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you haven't had a reply before now. Bumping this in the hope that others will chime in. This behaviour has me totally stumped :headscratch:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Definitely not a common behavior. How frequent are these occurrences? Generally speaking, whether this is a show of dominance or actual sexual behavior, I would basically stay out of it unless there's a very good reason to intervene.

Sounds like you did the introductions really well and Josie is not intimidated by Spencer. Cats generally determine their social hierarchy quite well so as long as Josie is friendly with him and there are not signs of overall hostility, I'm not sure there's much that needs to be done.

Having said all that, if the behavior does increase in frequency and you think it needs addressing, the first stop should be your vet. Spencer isn't behaving like a neutered male so I wonder if maybe there's something in there messing around with his hormones. Your vet can check that, look for other signs of hormonal imbalance and run a blood test to see what hormone levels are like.

I am curious about that so if you can, come back and let us know how it goes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi L lynniemu

I take care of a large group of spayed and neutered cats. I see this quite often. It tends to happen between males and their favourite females, so I actually think it might be a sign that Spencer and Josie are getting along well.

Does Josie get on well with Spencer otherwise? Is she affectionate towards him? Her reaction to his humping is very similar to the way my girl cats react when their "boyfriends" try to scruff them. As long as Spencer isn't hurting her and they get along the rest of the time I'd just leave them to it if I were you.