Neutered male humping a pregnant female? Help!

linab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello CatSite community, I hope you can give me some advice on a problem I have never encountered before.

Just two months ago, mid  Dec. 2015, I got 2 cats from the same household but not related:  a lovely 4 year Himalayan male and a cute little 4 year old Holy Birman female. They were both not neutered.  It being winter, the seller and I thought there would be time enough to get them neutered in January.  Well, probably because of the change of home and the much better living situation with me, the little female, Mina went on heat. This coincided directly with Christmas so it was only December 28 when the male, Matti got neutered.

Well, by Dec. 28, IT had happened and little Mina is now pregnant.  All well and fine, I really look forward to having kittens.

Now comes my problem:  About a week ago, let's stay Feb. 1, the by now neutered male has started humping Mina and especially licking her private parts.  She is letting him do this to some extent; when it gets too much she hisses and runs off.  We are all miserable - Matti the male is going crazy with presumably the smell of the pregnant female, I am going bonkers with all their noise and Mina still has at least 3 weeks (so the vet tells me) until her due date. She is getting nice and round but is very petite.  He is a big tomcat, twice as heavy as she. Other than trying to keep them apart, literally in separate rooms, I don't know what to do. The vet just shrugs and says that it takes about 6 weeks for the male hormones to work themselves out his system. 

Can anyone in the community tell me if they have encountered this behavior before and what to do about it? 

Thanks for any advice in advance!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It takes a good 60 days for hormones to leave the cat's body. So, you're just over 30 days at this point. If Mattie was used as a stud prior, this fully explains his behavior. It's also possible that he may continue with this behavior...time will tell.

I know I have heard that some breeders will keep a neutered ex-stud around to help bring a female out of a heat cycle.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately this is normal and may even continue once the hormones leave his body :( The vet is right that they wouldn't have left yet though so there is still hope that his behavior will change once his body adjusts.  I'm sorry we don't have better news.