Neutered cat

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello ,
I neutered my cat 6 days ago, and he started to have diarrhea 3 days ago, otherwise he's acting normal , eats , play and drink a lot.
I plan to call the vet tomorrow but in the meanwhile I wanted to know if anything similar
happened to you???
Also, is my baby is healing correctly? Don't mind the black stuff on his skin, he already had it before the surgery, I fear it's acne ( heard it's common with orange cats)
Thank you for everyone who will answer 😊🙏🏼
IMG_20240116_010442.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello ,
I neutered my cat 6 days ago, and he started to have diarrhea 3 days ago, otherwise he's acting normal , eats , play and drink a lot.
I plan to call the vet tomorrow but in the meanwhile I wanted to know if anything similar
happened to you???
Also, is my baby is healing correctly? Don't mind the black stuff on his skin, he already had it before the surgery, I fear it's acne ( heard it's common with orange cats)
Thank you for everyone who will answer 😊🙏🏼
As much as I know, cats will usually vomit due to the anesthesia and diarrhea could be due to the pain medications as what Furballsmom Furballsmom is asking you.

So far, the incision site looks dry and healing ok. Below is a reply I made to a member sometime ago regarding post neutering. Please give it a read :-
Is it infected??

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's the photo but it looks swollen ,which is normal after surgery - it is due to the absorbable sutures ( normal reaction)- that will go down in about 2 weeks or so.I mention this so you do not be concerned about swelling,as long as there is no redness of the skin,no discharge or smell.....so yes,appears to be healing very nicely

Uh,almost forgot your other question- as was already mentioned it's highly likely a med side effect- also many Vets will give an antibiotic injection as well,common side effect is diarrhea - if you look at your receipt it should say what was administered and prescribed or give the Vet a call

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, what did they give him for pain?
I'm not giving him any medicines, the day of the operation the doctor told me to make him rest and not to give him any food until a certain time, then after that, only a little bit of food , but that's it , nothing else.

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's the photo but it looks swollen ,which is normal after surgery - it is due to the absorbable sutures ( normal reaction)- that will go down in about 2 weeks or so.I mention this so you do not be concerned about swelling,as long as there is no redness of the skin,no discharge or smell.....so yes,appears to be healing very nicely

Uh,almost forgot your other question- as was already mentioned it's highly likely a med side effect- also many Vets will give an antibiotic injection as well,common side effect is diarrhea - if you look at your receipt it should say what was administered and prescribed or give the Vet a call
Thank you, I was a little bit worried because I searched online and all they say is that it's common the first 24/48h , but for us started 2-3 days after the operation and its been 3 days already, also I'm giving him probiotics and they are not doing anything still 😭

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I was a little bit worried because I searched online and all they say is that it's common the first 24/48h , but for us started 2-3 days after the operation and its been 3 days already, also I'm giving him probiotics and they are not doing anything still 😭
Oh no,don't cry.... not everyone agrees but I'm an ole lady that goes back to the old remedies like canned pumpkin and white rice to bulk up the stool

Why don't you give a call to the Vets office,I'm suspecting anti- biotic which usually,after a few days ,results in diarrhea..... ask,that may be it -process of elimination

If it persists you might want to see your Vet -make sure the little darlings is staying hydrated ,perhaps give some low sodium cat friendly broths too for extra fluids

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no,don't cry.... not everyone agrees but I'm an ole lady that goes back to the old remedies like canned pumpkin and white rice to bulk up the stool

Why don't you give a call to the Vets office,I'm suspecting anti- biotic which usually,after a few days ,results in diarrhea..... ask,that may be it -process of elimination

If it persists you might want to see your Vet -make sure the little darlings is staying hydrated ,perhaps give some low sodium cat friendly broths too for extra fluids
Thank you so much for making me feel better!! you are an angel 💖
yes I already sent a message to the doctor 🤞🏼

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for making me feel better!! you are an angel 💖
yes I already sent a message to the doctor 🤞🏼
Oh good,I'm so happy to know you feel better - of course you are worried and concerned,it would be scarey if you werent!!!

I really don't believe you have anything to worry about from the surgery itself- after you speak with your Vet you're going to feel even better.Im thrilled to hear another very Blessed kitty has a forever home with such a loving pet parent-keep us posted and I'd love to see a photo from the other end!lol What's your baby's name?